4.0 out of 5 stars the best live band you'll ever see, 5 Mar. 2010
Mr. P. Winters "wintersp" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Wilko Johnson Volume 1 (Audio CD)
I agree with everything written above by the previous reviewer, I'll just add that vol 1 and vol 2 have some re-recorded tracks by the current line-up including the updated version of 'Paradise' which is possibly the greatest riff of all time, brilliantly simple and simply brilliant!
Don't go to your grave without seeing Wilko in concert, they are the greatest live band on the planet BAR NONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Because it never Arrived All i know is i like wilkos music i like the foot tapping sound and ..., 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Wilko Johnson Volume 1 (Audio CD)
i can't really comment on this one Because it never Arrived All i know is i like wilkos music
i like the foot tapping sound and you know when you buy a wilco / Dr feelgood cd thats what you are going to get
wishing Wilko All the best & hope he beat this illness

4.0 out of 5 stars Go See Them Live ! Go See Them Live. Take Your Kids, Take Their Kids, Take Your Neighbours' Kids!, 3 April 2010
A. R. Dow "Primrosehillbilly" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Wilko Johnson Volume 1 (Audio CD)
Wilko Johnson right now provides the greatest, most live, most exciting rock'n'roll experience in the UK. He plays small venues, doesn't charge you megabucks, plays every night like his life depends upon it, sings of love, loss, suspicious love, cheated upon love, love across the border, love that her daddy shouldn't hear about, plays it all at a pace you will struggle to keep up with, and then gets into a churning riff that ends up with the words ".........you may be right, you may be wrong, but you know you're gonna miss me when I'm gone..............and his teelecaster becomes a machine gun, and he puts on a look that sez... "You're gonna get it.", and he manically tommy - guns down the first three rows. OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh, live it!
Don't go and see the Stones in an enormo-drome for the price of a small mortgage. Go see this amazing guy.He's got the living embodiment of a bass player with him in Norman Watt - Roy, who lives, breathes and exhales every note that he plays, and if you doubt me, check him out on YouTube, Nothing will ever compare to an even indifferent night (never been known by the way, Wilk. :-)) with the other John Wilkinson in a small music club, like the 100 Club, or appearing at a venue near you soon,but if you want to top up your memories of him, get this, get the second one, and then go see him play live again.
Nothing compares to a night out with Wilko, so 4 out of 5 for the cd's without even hearing them , but you get his terse, pithy descriptions of a very English bluesman's world : ........." she had footsteps around her window, she had scratchmarks right down her back, she said that she's a good girl, but I don't believe it, it's a fact"
Rock on Wilko, rock on.
See ya soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars No qualms, 10 Feb. 2010
ODH (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Wilko Johnson Volume 1 (Audio CD)
I saw Wilko Johnson for the first time in 1986 and probably 15 times in as many years thereafter. The first time, I was so impressed I went and traded my guitar for a Telecaster, which I still play today. There's nothing like a Wilko gig, honest to God. Un-matched live, patchy at best in the studio, you've got to admit. There isn't a rich back catalogue of studio albums to draw on. Which is the problem I have with this CD. What I want is a live CD-DVD; I want to see Wilko machine-gunning the audience with his tele, flying across the stage with his curly guitar lead stretching out behind. I want to see the full range of Norman Watt-Roy's remarkable gurning talents, not to mention his excellent bass playing. That's what I want - intimacy and intensity.

I'm just not convinced this will fill the Wilko shaped hole in my collection.

Updated 14 July 2014. That Wilko shaped hole I mentioned above is now filled with the Live at Koko DVD and I can't see any reason to give this anything except 5 stars.

The Best Of Wilko Johnson Volume 1
The Best Of Wilko Johnson Volume 1 by Wilko Johnson (Audio CD - 2010)