Most helpful positive review
23 of 24 people found the following review helpful
Great free roaming RPG
on 26 March 2011
I borrowed the original TW1 off a mate, and didn't like it at all, so I was naturally sceptical about the sequel and held out for DA2. After the panning DA2 received, I bought TW2. Is it good? You bet. This game is brilliant.
1) Good selection of community mods available (easy to install, bit trickier to make, but some nice tutorials on the net)
2) Free roaming - all areas are open (make sure you download the "no invisible barrier" mod) from the start. As monsters don't level with you, it means you can blunder into "hard" areas by mistake and have to leave, level up, then go back when you are stronger
3) A Big World to explore and it looks like it is a long game - I have been playing for about 10 hours so far, just exploring and doing some side quests and have not even touched the first main quest on chapter 1. This world is SIGNIFICANTLY bigger than Oblivion or Morrowind
4) You gain Attributes (strength, endurance, wisdom and accuracy) and Skill points when you level to spend how you want. This leads to a class-less system and you can specialise in magic, melee, range or stealth, or spread your points as you want
5) Crafting - you can dismantle gear you don't want (or sell it) and upgrade your existing gear (providing you have allocated the appropriate skill points). You can also make your own potions from ingredients you gather.
6) Magic System is great - you create your own spells by combining the different element (fire, ice etc) with a different effect (direct damage, AOE etc). It is too complicated to explain here, just search on the net for a better explanation
7) Teleport points - once you have discovered the teleport location, you can use your "hearthstone" to go a teleport location (proving you are outside)
8) Gorgeous visuals, lovely textures, realistic grass and long draw distance (can be customised)
9) Good quality Audio and wide variety of sounds. Background music is atmospheric.
1) A bit too easy, even on hard - hence I HAD to mod the game to triple the monster hit points and increase damage dealt - now I have to be more careful
2) Really bad "Mr Deep Voice" hero voice-over; monotone delivery and poor voice acting
3) Controls can a bit clunky and camera doesn't work as well as WOW, but I have got used to it now. You can tweak the camera offset via .ini files (called .con in TW2)
4) Lacks some polish, but is still high quality
Overall, this game is really REALLY good, in fact I'm going back to play it right now... :)