5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great Blu
Published on 15 Sep 2012 by DanB

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing rather than hilarious
Published on 26 April 2012 by haunted

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great Blu, 15 Sep 2012
Great film, as you would expect from Aardman. One thing I couldn't work out from other reviews or get anywhere on the net was if the 2D version of the film was on the disc. Well I ordered it anyway, and it does included 2D and 3D versions of the film. Also has an Ultraviolet copy, a code for movieextras, a code for LBP costumes which is something I think Sony should be doing more in their releases. PS3 and Vita extras included with films is a great idea.
Considering the price of these disc in supermarkets now £22 if it has 3D written anywhere near it! this is a good price too

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it (but too subtle for some), 29 April 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and will get the DVD or Bluray as soon as it is available. I can understand that some did not like it, and apparently some found it "boring". I can only assume that the Aardman style humour went over their heads some of the time. There were a few places where everyone around me at the cinema was silent while I found myself laughing at one joke after another. Many are subtle, some just visual, and there are some musical. It's a very good movie in my opinion. One could watch it several times and not find everything that the creators have put in there to entertain us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun, 7 July 2012
Thursday Week (Bruton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My 4 year old son and I saw this film, and the both of us were completely entranced thoughout. The animation is fantastic, the story is brilliant, but not too complicated for children to enjoy. I was not a Hugh Grant fan, until now - his performance was glorious. As an adult you will spend 50% of your time working out who provided the voices and the other 50% trying to read the poster/graffiti on the walls of the background - its worth watching it twice just to do justice to both tasks.

An essential purchase for Shaun the Sheep fans wether they be adult or child!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also", 14 April 2012
I have seen this film 4 times at the cinema now. As an Aardman fan I desperately wanted to like it and wasn't quite sure how good it was the first time I saw it, but it is so packed with detail, ideas and striking images that I believe it repays repeated viewing. Obviously there is a problematic aspect to this though, which is that most cinema-goers will only go and see it once.

Perhaps for some people the film is not what they were expecting from a pirate adventure - these pirates are not exactly the swashbuckling, ruthless outlaws of popular fiction, although anyone who has read Gideon Defoe's books on which the film is based will have more idea what to expect. Also, as with "Wallace and Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit", the emotional core of the film is not so much in the plot, but rather in the relationships between the different characters.

Underlying the action of the film are moral messages, only subtly expressed - the middle of the film turns around "the danger of people only liking you because you're famous" (as Gideon Defoe puts it in his children's book version of the film). Ultimately, though, the mood of the film is more positive than this, the characters' actions and their consequences elevating romantic love above the love of money, and placing the value of true friendship above both of these. And I think that's beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 8 Sep 2012
Saw it at the cinema. Took the kids and we all enjoyed it. Children will enjoy it and there's subtle jokes in it for adults too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing rather than hilarious, 26 April 2012
There is a good idea at the heart of the plot of this movie. A not very successful pirate gets the chance to get one up on his more successful rivals by winning the annual scientific prize at the prestigious London Royal society as it turns out his companion parrot is actually a dodo, thought to have been extinct for years. However I thought there weren't enough laughs through the movie to make it really entertaining.

The appearance of historical characters such as Queen Victoria and Charles Darwin is interesting, especially since they are both central to the plot and given unexpectedly colourful personalities.

While the movie is presumably aimed at kids there are certainly some things put in the script that are aimed at amusing adults, such as the movie title and the names of the pirate crew, e.g. Pirate with Scarf and Pirate with Gout!

The animation is excellent and the voices enthusiastically supplied by the likes of Hugh Grant, Martin Freeman and Brendan Gleeson adds greatly to the enjoyment of the viewer.

Kids will probably love it (especially pirate loving ones!) and there is enough in it for adults to put a smile on their faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars saw in 3d and will buy as a result, 21 Aug 2012
I took my 4 year old to see this in 3d. Reading the plot I did wonder if my son would understand it but the story line is not over complicated for a child of his age. He loved all the different pirate characters and disliked the queen. He an i did laugh through out. Contains lots of celebritys, who are each well suited to their characters. I saw it in 3d although I cant see this making a huge difference to the film when watching it at home in 2d. I will be pre-ordering as my son is looking forward to watching it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure island of laughs...., 27 July 2013
Ian Thumwood "ian17577" (Winchester) - See all my reviews
Even though I thought this was another excellent Aardman effort I saw this film first at the pictures I think it takes another viewing to pick up all the components that make this so funny. The opening 20 minutes are exceptional and the combination of amusing storyline and the cast of brilliat characters voiced by a very strong collection of actors certainly makes you think this is as good as "Wallace & Gromit." However, there is so much detail that I found myself stopping the DVD to read some of the background information, whether it is the amusing categories on the "Pirate of the Year" application form, the names of the bars and shops in both Blood Island and London or the billboards that offer to get rid of unwanted urchins. Even if you pick up the Irish pirate (a brillaint Brendon Gleeson) wearing a Blue Peter badge, there is plenty more that is not readily apparent - D Y Ying the dentist, for example. The use of the map to illustrate the travels of the Pirate Captain is also a stroke of genius.

I would have to say that this knocks the spots off most Pixar films which tend not to be quite so sophisticated with the humour nor throw in the odd joke that younger kids might not understand but which will appeal to adults. The flow of jokes is practically non-stop and the action scenes are dealt with style and panache. The shear stupidity of the film is a delight and I love the references to the way that real-life characters like Charles Darwin, Jane Austen and the Elephant Man all manifest the storyline. Pirates of the Caribbean is obviously a point of reference too but that franchise of films were never as much fun as this effort. British humour at it's absolute best and amusing up to the very last credit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its all in the detail, 11 Dec 2012
Great film that you can watch over and over and still see new things. Suitable of adults as well as kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny, 11 Dec 2012
We watched this with our 2 year old and 4 year old and they loved it. Very amusing, especially ham night.

Pirates Band of Misfits [Blu-ray] [2012] [US Import]