5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!
This was the last of 3 different types of hand warmers i have tried and in my opinion it provides the best value for money and does the best job.

Published on 8 Dec 2010 by Daniel Hill

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Product
Who on earth wrote the previous reviews? It wouldn't surprise me if more than a few Zippo employees were posting 'reviews' here. If you'd like a taste of what this is really like, just search online. When it comes to descriptions of getting this hand warmer going, the words 'horrible', 'nightmare', and 'terrible' all crop up time and time again.

This is a great...
Published 7 months ago by Tom Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 8 Dec 2010
Daniel Hill "The Computer Guy" (Washington, NE England) - See all my reviews

I have tried the Charcoal hand warmers which burn a stick of charcoal they tend to last about 4-5 hours at best and they obviously have a very strong burning smell which is not ideal if you work around other people etc, they do get very hot maybe too hot at times.

next i tried the small Sodium Acetate hand warmers which is contained in a small plastic pouch which you snap a small metal disc and a chemical reaction generates heat, now these don't get much more than luke warm and last for less than an hour, and if you don't recharge them correctly they become useless.

then i purchased one of these Zippo hand warmers, i had high hopes from the start purely based on the reputation they have for their lighters, and they have not let the quality slip with the hand warmer, you can pick up 250ml of fuel for £3-£4 which should last you a good 2-3 weeks depending on how often you use the hand warmer, the warmer itself can get too hot to touch but with it in its pouch it is the ideal temperature, its easy to refill using the measuring jug that is provided, you simply remove the burner filament and pour the fuel in using the supplied measuring jug, now this listing says it last up to 12 hours, mine today lasted over 19 hours i lit it at 4:30 am before i left for work and it was still well alight at 2330 that evening, it burns with no flame virtually odourless just the usual smell of Zippo fluid, to stop the hand warmer simply use a tool the remove the hot filament and it will cool within 2-3 minutes.

Again in my opinion out of the 3 types i have tried this is by far the best i've used and i have no doubt it will last for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING - 48 hours on one fill!!, 26 Nov 2010
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
I'm not kidding - this lasted a little over 48 hours on one fill (to the brim) of lighter fluid. I've tried both main types of fluid available in our area now, (Zippo's own black tin and Swan's yellow one), & I've not noticed the slightest difference - except the price of course!

When I first used the Zippo handwarmer, I couldn't get it to stay lit more than a few minutes, but the secret I've found is 3-fold:

1) Fill with the lighter fluid and leave it for a few minutes (with the catalyst burner-head in place) to allow the fumes to move around the product (so there are no air "gaps") which can cause it to go out;
2) Heat the burner-head properly on each of its flat surfaces with a lighter (not the top of the yellow flame or it will soot - use the top of the blue inner) when you're lighting it, even after it's obviously "lit" (about 15 seconds) - this helps to vapourise the gases and sustain the ignition (you should NOT apply lighter fluid to the burner-head itself - it will flame and damage the head);
3) Put the metal lid onto the lit burner and put it into its soft, draw-string case and into your pocket. Don't ask me how (I'm not a combustion expert) but this actually seems to encourage it to work. I DO know that it doesn't require additional oxygen to work - whatever is available in your pocket is clearly sufficient.

Obviously, if you don't want it to last for 2 days and 2 nights constantly, then don't fill it up to the brim. As mentioned by others, Zippo do supply a nifty little container clearly marked for showing what fill one needs for 6 or 12 hours of heat.

For instant heat I use the clicker-pads (and yes, you can recharge them very effectively with a microwave) but for long-term sustainability, the Zippo is surely hard to beat.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zippo helps my finger injury., 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
I bought this after much deliberation over this lighter fluid style or the cheaper charcoal style hand warmers.
I have a collection of the saline type that you boil to recharge but after 30 mins they loose heat, although they are quite good for emergencies.
I needed something that lasted a working day here in Blighty and that would help my fingers after they got smashed in a lawn mower, they get cold and painful quick and I work outdoors all day all weathers, so opted for the Zippo in black.
First impressions were that the vented top feels a loose fit and comes off easily and that it feels very light weight (I was expecting it to be more substantial).

I bought some lighter fluid locally for one pounds fifty and gave it a go. I followed the simple instructions included and found out via a friend and by sheer fluke that the first time they're a pig to get going.
They were right. At least 10 mins with a lighter to set it going for the first time. It was about 1C outside so I popped it in my pocket and carried on. It didn't seem to get very warm on this initial test and was barely enough to warm a cool hand even when you held the metal casing. So this was disappointing, however it lasted 22 hours, so I thought maybe it wasn't burning quick enough and therefore wasn't getting hot enough.

Day two and it's still 1C outside. half filled the Zippo with the little jug thingy and it lit in about 20 seconds although I cannot tell it has other than the heat that comes off the catalyst after a minute or so. Popped on the slightly loose lid and slid into the case and into my pocket. Boy its cold today and this got jolly hot. I was pruning a tree and my fingers were in serious pain on many occasion but the Zippo was fab. Very warm and quite hot on the metal itself, more than enough to warm my hands, and because it was in my fleece jacket pocket I could feel the warmth against my torso, Excellent! It lasted the 6 hours too.

One aspect I notice is the smell of the fluid during use. It's not terrible but to be born in mind. Note that I used cheapo fuel so maybe the genuine stuff isn't so obvious.
My honest opinion is I love it. I would recommend even though it's probably dearer than others. I suggested my sister get one who gets Raynauds bad in her fingers during winter.
Buy and enjoy warm hands in winter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow the instructions!, 4 May 2012
For the people who say this is difficult to light, just follow the instructions! Two full jugs of fluid for the first fill up. Then I just held my Zippo lighter to the burner for about 30 seconds, you can tell when its lit by the faint orange glow through the burner mesh. Just look at it in subdued lighting to see this.
It is essential you put it in the bag provided after lighting or it will take in much oxygen and shorten the life of the burner.
Just got it today and its giving off a lovely heat in my hoodie pocket, apparently it gets hotter after a couple of uses (think the burner needs running in or something).
Its currently my new favourite thing and will end up being carried everywhere with me, bit of a pig to fill though - just take your time as the wadding has to absorb the fluid, I put a plate underneath to catch the inevitable spillage. Awesome product!

Arrived day after dispatch too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts forever, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
Unlike other hand warmers this one does last for a long time. Make sure you fill it up to the maximum level when lighting it up for the first time. It stays lukewarm in the cover so you can put it inside a jacket's inside pocket without any worries. And when you need it you can pull it out, it is toasty without the cover. I normally use it in my morning commute, once indoors, I put it back in its bag and tuck it inside my jacket.

Peacock makes the best hand warmers however they are a bit pricey. These are made in the same peacock factories however their finish is a bit inferior to the ones peacock sells by its own brand name but then these are also more affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
Dont know why everyone is knocking this item, I have purchased this item 2 weeks ago (not from amazon) and I have found that its does the job really well, I filled it full and lit the burner and placed in my pocket, and i wasnt disappointed with how much heat it kicks out, I placed it inside my fleece pocket and it was toasty to say the least, If you have gloves on and the bag on the warmer then you wont feel much heat, but without gloves on then it is really warm, and easy to use.
One bit of advise make sure you light the burner properly that is what kicks the heat out, When I light mine I place the blue part of the flame on the burner holding it on each segment for about 20 sec each then turn the burner over and repeat, then go up and down the burner quickly a few times to make sure its lit properly, place the lid on, into the bag, then in my pocket done!
I work outdoors and find this is great, considering buying another one so Ive got one in each pocket...:-)
And the price on Amazon is the cheapest around,

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasty hands.., 29 April 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
The Zippo hand warmer works great. In fact this is the second one I have bought as my wife now uses the original silver one I bought a while ago. Once lit it stays warm for several hours and I've found both of them incredibly reliable. They can take a little effort to light when first new, but once you've used them a couple of times lighting becomes effortless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Handwarmer!, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
The zippo handwarmer is a great idea! It took me a long time to get it started first time, but once I got it working, it worked great!

4.0 out of 5 stars zippo hand warmer, 18 Dec 2010
This product does what it says on the tin- it certainly keeps ONE hand warm! If you keep it in the supplied bag in a pocket, it barely gives out enough heat to be felt when you reach in with your hand. The way to make it more useful is to leave it out of the bag if it's kept in a pocket. When you take it out it will slowly get hotter and hotter to the point where it gets dangerous! At this point slip it back in the bag- it will soon cool enough to be able to keep it between your hands for a while.

I found that the calalyst burner doesn't last as long as the specified 70-70 uses- more like 23-30. At six quid for a replacement, you'll need to factor in the cost for several replacements if you use intend to use it on a daily basis. A standard 100ml of lighter fluid costs around £1.50, and gives about 10 fills when using the large measure on the cup supplied. This will last for 12-14 hours per fill. The half measure lasts about 6-8 hours. I sometimes use somewhere in between.

All in all, a good product, but could do with some development in the heat regulation department

5.0 out of 5 stars winter warmer :), 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
great gift for people who spend lots of time outdoors, once it is lit there is no flame & it keeps your hands warm all day.
once it is lit, you cant put it out, it burns all the petrol and then goes out, so it might be a thought to put half the measured amount into the hand warmer

Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome