5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING - 48 hours on one fill!!
I'm not kidding - this lasted a little over 48 hours on one fill (to the brim) of lighter fluid. I've tried both main types of fluid available in our area now, (Zippo's own black tin and Swan's yellow one), & I've not noticed the slightest difference - except the price of course!

Published on 26 Nov 2010 by Nothern Climes

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all impressed.
Published 6 months ago by mrs j parrish

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING - 48 hours on one fill!!, 26 Nov 2010
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)

When I first used the Zippo handwarmer, I couldn't get it to stay lit more than a few minutes, but the secret I've found is 3-fold:

1) Fill with the lighter fluid and leave it for a few minutes (with the catalyst burner-head in place) to allow the fumes to move around the product (so there are no air "gaps") which can cause it to go out;
2) Heat the burner-head properly on each of its flat surfaces with a lighter (not the top of the yellow flame or it will soot - use the top of the blue inner) when you're lighting it, even after it's obviously "lit" (about 15 seconds) - this helps to vapourise the gases and sustain the ignition (you should NOT apply lighter fluid to the burner-head itself - it will flame and damage the head);
3) Put the metal lid onto the lit burner and put it into its soft, draw-string case and into your pocket. Don't ask me how (I'm not a combustion expert) but this actually seems to encourage it to work. I DO know that it doesn't require additional oxygen to work - whatever is available in your pocket is clearly sufficient.

Obviously, if you don't want it to last for 2 days and 2 nights constantly, then don't fill it up to the brim. As mentioned by others, Zippo do supply a nifty little container clearly marked for showing what fill one needs for 6 or 12 hours of heat.

For instant heat I use the clicker-pads (and yes, you can recharge them very effectively with a microwave) but for long-term sustainability, the Zippo is surely hard to beat.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 8 Dec 2010
Daniel Hill "The Computer Guy" (Washington, NE England) - See all my reviews
This was the last of 3 different types of hand warmers i have tried and in my opinion it provides the best value for money and does the best job.

I have tried the Charcoal hand warmers which burn a stick of charcoal they tend to last about 4-5 hours at best and they obviously have a very strong burning smell which is not ideal if you work around other people etc, they do get very hot maybe too hot at times.

next i tried the small Sodium Acetate hand warmers which is contained in a small plastic pouch which you snap a small metal disc and a chemical reaction generates heat, now these don't get much more than luke warm and last for less than an hour, and if you don't recharge them correctly they become useless.

then i purchased one of these Zippo hand warmers, i had high hopes from the start purely based on the reputation they have for their lighters, and they have not let the quality slip with the hand warmer, you can pick up 250ml of fuel for 3-4 which should last you a good 2-3 weeks depending on how often you use the hand warmer, the warmer itself can get too hot to touch but with it in its pouch it is the ideal temperature, its easy to refill using the measuring jug that is provided, you simply remove the burner filament and pour the fuel in using the supplied measuring jug, now this listing says it last up to 12 hours, mine today lasted over 19 hours i lit it at 4:30 am before i left for work and it was still well alight at 2330 that evening, it burns with no flame virtually odourless just the usual smell of Zippo fluid, to stop the hand warmer simply use a tool the remove the hot filament and it will cool within 2-3 minutes.

Again in my opinion out of the 3 types i have tried this is by far the best i've used and i have no doubt it will last for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts forever, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
Unlike other hand warmers this one does last for a long time. Make sure you fill it up to the maximum level when lighting it up for the first time. It stays lukewarm in the cover so you can put it inside a jacket's inside pocket without any worries. And when you need it you can pull it out, it is toasty without the cover. I normally use it in my morning commute, once indoors, I put it back in its bag and tuck it inside my jacket.

Peacock makes the best hand warmers however they are a bit pricey. These are made in the same peacock factories however their finish is a bit inferior to the ones peacock sells by its own brand name but then these are also more affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
Dont know why everyone is knocking this item, I have purchased this item 2 weeks ago (not from amazon) and I have found that its does the job really well, I filled it full and lit the burner and placed in my pocket, and i wasnt disappointed with how much heat it kicks out, I placed it inside my fleece pocket and it was toasty to say the least, If you have gloves on and the bag on the warmer then you wont feel much heat, but without gloves on then it is really warm, and easy to use.
One bit of advise make sure you light the burner properly that is what kicks the heat out, When I light mine I place the blue part of the flame on the burner holding it on each segment for about 20 sec each then turn the burner over and repeat, then go up and down the burner quickly a few times to make sure its lit properly, place the lid on, into the bag, then in my pocket done!
I work outdoors and find this is great, considering buying another one so Ive got one in each pocket...:-)
And the price on Amazon is the cheapest around,

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handwarmer I've tried, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
I work the doors in Glasgow and it's been absolutely bitter this winter, I've tried everything to stay warm. I've bought disposable handwarmers and the clicky-gel reusable ones without much success - the clickies only last 10 mins; Little Hotties go cold when they get damp. This handwarmer annihilates them.

It CAN be turned off after it's lit, btw - cover the holes in the cap to starve the wick of oxygen (and if it ever goes cold in your pocket, now you know why).

The reservoir holds appx 50ml of lighter fluid (two caploads) which should give you around 24 hours burning time. Once it's lit the whole thing heats up in seconds. I'm using cheap Swan lighter fluid available at most corner shops, 1.50 a can and works just great. A 100ml can will last for >48hrs of heat. After the initial cost of the handwarmer, that's 3 pence per hour of toasty hands...

Best value, best quality handwarmer available.

4.0 out of 5 stars zippo hand warmer, 18 Dec 2010
This product does what it says on the tin- it certainly keeps ONE hand warm! If you keep it in the supplied bag in a pocket, it barely gives out enough heat to be felt when you reach in with your hand. The way to make it more useful is to leave it out of the bag if it's kept in a pocket. When you take it out it will slowly get hotter and hotter to the point where it gets dangerous! At this point slip it back in the bag- it will soon cool enough to be able to keep it between your hands for a while.

I found that the calalyst burner doesn't last as long as the specified 70-70 uses- more like 23-30. At six quid for a replacement, you'll need to factor in the cost for several replacements if you use intend to use it on a daily basis. A standard 100ml of lighter fluid costs around 1.50, and gives about 10 fills when using the large measure on the cup supplied. This will last for 12-14 hours per fill. The half measure lasts about 6-8 hours. I sometimes use somewhere in between.

All in all, a good product, but could do with some development in the heat regulation department

4.0 out of 5 stars More Useful Tips, 14 Dec 2010
M. James (Telford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
As almost everyone has said - This is a very useful hand warmer once you've managed to light it. I now use one of those 'Windproof' lighters which emits a blowtorch like flame.
Although it says you cant 'put it out' until it has exhausted all its fuel, Ive found that if you simply put it in a sealed container such as an old Tobacco tin, {which incidentally is a perfect fit}, it will extinguish after around 2 minutes when it has used up the available air. A small biscuit tin also does the job in around 5 minutes.
Ive also made a small frame for it to sit on atop the car dashboard to enable better defrosting of the windscreen in this current cold spell. As the Zippo's case is Magnetic, a small magnet secures its position on the frame and enables its quick placement & removal without compromising on safety.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zippo Deluxe Warmer, 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
Bought it this week and have used it twice. It is slim and fits in an adult mans hand ok. Produces a lot of heat but not 10 times as much as diposables i would say, if fact once it is in the black cover it is just "lukewarm". Having said that it does last for ages so just the job when its cold outside - the click ones and disposables only really last an hour max - this goes on for ever!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all impressed., 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
I first bought a Zippo hand warmer just over a year ago. It took a while to get used to lighting it (and lighting it does take a while), but once mastered it worked well. However, the burner unit is a consumable part and needs to be replaced. The hand warmer started becoming unreliable, so I bought replacement burners. With benefit of hindsight, I can remember that the new burners were Grey in colour rather than White as the original was. At the time, I thought nothing of it - just a updated version maybe. However, this winter I tried starting the warmer with no luck - it just wouldn't stay warm for more than about 5 minutes even with another new burner. After reading up on them, I found that some people say you must use the original Zippo lighter fluid. I'd been using another brand as my local store didn't stock Zippo. Thinking that was the problem, and therefore my fault, I ordered a new Zippo hand warmer and binned the first one.
The new one arrived ( this also has the Grey coloured burner ) and this time I filled with Zippo fluid from the start. Well, after a week of trying to get the thing started and endless time spent searching for the answer, I decided to give up on it and write this to alert others to my experience.
I have come to the conclusion that the burner unit has been changed (was White, now Grey) and that change has caused the problem. That Grey catalytic material plays an important role and I suspect it's not as good as the White material in the original unit. Although the actual Zippo hand warmer is quite cheap to buy, the Zippo fluid is expensive (I paid 2.25 a can locally) and the burner heads are about 5.00 (and these need replacing quite frequently). The unit at best is unreliable and at worst simply doesn't even start.
I don't know what the answer is and maybe I've just been unlucky. I may be wrong about the burner heads, I'm not sure what's going on - but I wouldn't recommend or buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm hands!, 29 Dec 2010
J. Woolley "Sheep" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome (Sports)
Great little gadget, works brilliantly, fuel isn't too expensive on the side either. Only negative is that the little filling pot is a little tricky to use- it kept overflowing so I now just put a few squirts of lighter fluid directly from the can into the fuel resevoir and have nearly worked out how much to put in for a given burn time!

Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome