5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!
This was the last of 3 different types of hand warmers i have tried and in my opinion it provides the best value for money and does the best job.

Published on 8 Dec. 2010 by Daniel Hill

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of your money
This is the worst Zippo product. Ever. Typically, when you think Zippo, you think "quality". Not with this one, you don't.

It has 3 major problems:

1. Some of them are nearly impossible to light up without ruining the burner. It is darn hard. But that's far from its worst problems.

2. It isn't sturdy at all. The lid does not close tightly...
Published 18 months ago by Melchiorum

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!, 8 Dec. 2010
Daniel Hill "The Computer Guy" (Washington, NE England) - See all my reviews

I have tried the Charcoal hand warmers which burn a stick of charcoal they tend to last about 4-5 hours at best and they obviously have a very strong burning smell which is not ideal if you work around other people etc, they do get very hot maybe too hot at times.

next i tried the small Sodium Acetate hand warmers which is contained in a small plastic pouch which you snap a small metal disc and a chemical reaction generates heat, now these don't get much more than luke warm and last for less than an hour, and if you don't recharge them correctly they become useless.

then i purchased one of these Zippo hand warmers, i had high hopes from the start purely based on the reputation they have for their lighters, and they have not let the quality slip with the hand warmer, you can pick up 250ml of fuel for £3-£4 which should last you a good 2-3 weeks depending on how often you use the hand warmer, the warmer itself can get too hot to touch but with it in its pouch it is the ideal temperature, its easy to refill using the measuring jug that is provided, you simply remove the burner filament and pour the fuel in using the supplied measuring jug, now this listing says it last up to 12 hours, mine today lasted over 19 hours i lit it at 4:30 am before i left for work and it was still well alight at 2330 that evening, it burns with no flame virtually odourless just the usual smell of Zippo fluid, to stop the hand warmer simply use a tool the remove the hot filament and it will cool within 2-3 minutes.

Again in my opinion out of the 3 types i have tried this is by far the best i've used and i have no doubt it will last for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING - 48 hours on one fill!!, 26 Nov. 2010
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
I'm not kidding - this lasted a little over 48 hours on one fill (to the brim) of lighter fluid. I've tried both main types of fluid available in our area now, (Zippo's own black tin and Swan's yellow one), & I've not noticed the slightest difference - except the price of course!

When I first used the Zippo handwarmer, I couldn't get it to stay lit more than a few minutes, but the secret I've found is 3-fold:

1) Fill with the lighter fluid and leave it for a few minutes (with the catalyst burner-head in place) to allow the fumes to move around the product (so there are no air "gaps") which can cause it to go out;
2) Heat the burner-head properly on each of its flat surfaces with a lighter (not the top of the yellow flame or it will soot - use the top of the blue inner) when you're lighting it, even after it's obviously "lit" (about 15 seconds) - this helps to vapourise the gases and sustain the ignition (you should NOT apply lighter fluid to the burner-head itself - it will flame and damage the head);
3) Put the metal lid onto the lit burner and put it into its soft, draw-string case and into your pocket. Don't ask me how (I'm not a combustion expert) but this actually seems to encourage it to work. I DO know that it doesn't require additional oxygen to work - whatever is available in your pocket is clearly sufficient.

Obviously, if you don't want it to last for 2 days and 2 nights constantly, then don't fill it up to the brim. As mentioned by others, Zippo do supply a nifty little container clearly marked for showing what fill one needs for 6 or 12 hours of heat.

For instant heat I use the clicker-pads (and yes, you can recharge them very effectively with a microwave) but for long-term sustainability, the Zippo is surely hard to beat.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Zippo helps my finger injury., 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
I bought this after much deliberation over this lighter fluid style or the cheaper charcoal style hand warmers.
I have a collection of the saline type that you boil to recharge but after 30 mins they loose heat, although they are quite good for emergencies.
I needed something that lasted a working day here in Blighty and that would help my fingers after they got smashed in a lawn mower, they get cold and painful quick and I work outdoors all day all weathers, so opted for the Zippo in black.
First impressions were that the vented top feels a loose fit and comes off easily and that it feels very light weight (I was expecting it to be more substantial).

I bought some lighter fluid locally for one pounds fifty and gave it a go. I followed the simple instructions included and found out via a friend and by sheer fluke that the first time they're a pig to get going.
They were right. At least 10 mins with a lighter to set it going for the first time. It was about 1C outside so I popped it in my pocket and carried on. It didn't seem to get very warm on this initial test and was barely enough to warm a cool hand even when you held the metal casing. So this was disappointing, however it lasted 22 hours, so I thought maybe it wasn't burning quick enough and therefore wasn't getting hot enough.

Day two and it's still 1C outside. half filled the Zippo with the little jug thingy and it lit in about 20 seconds although I cannot tell it has other than the heat that comes off the catalyst after a minute or so. Popped on the slightly loose lid and slid into the case and into my pocket. Boy its cold today and this got jolly hot. I was pruning a tree and my fingers were in serious pain on many occasion but the Zippo was fab. Very warm and quite hot on the metal itself, more than enough to warm my hands, and because it was in my fleece jacket pocket I could feel the warmth against my torso, Excellent! It lasted the 6 hours too.

One aspect I notice is the smell of the fluid during use. It's not terrible but to be born in mind. Note that I used cheapo fuel so maybe the genuine stuff isn't so obvious.
My honest opinion is I love it. I would recommend even though it's probably dearer than others. I suggested my sister get one who gets Raynauds bad in her fingers during winter.
Buy and enjoy warm hands in winter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
Dont know why everyone is knocking this item, I have purchased this item 2 weeks ago (not from amazon) and I have found that its does the job really well, I filled it full and lit the burner and placed in my pocket, and i wasnt disappointed with how much heat it kicks out, I placed it inside my fleece pocket and it was toasty to say the least, If you have gloves on and the bag on the warmer then you wont feel much heat, but without gloves on then it is really warm, and easy to use.
One bit of advise make sure you light the burner properly that is what kicks the heat out, When I light mine I place the blue part of the flame on the burner holding it on each segment for about 20 sec each then turn the burner over and repeat, then go up and down the burner quickly a few times to make sure its lit properly, place the lid on, into the bag, then in my pocket done!
I work outdoors and find this is great, considering buying another one so Ive got one in each pocket...:-)
And the price on Amazon is the cheapest around,

4.0 out of 5 stars zippo hand warmer, 18 Dec. 2010
This product does what it says on the tin- it certainly keeps ONE hand warm! If you keep it in the supplied bag in a pocket, it barely gives out enough heat to be felt when you reach in with your hand. The way to make it more useful is to leave it out of the bag if it's kept in a pocket. When you take it out it will slowly get hotter and hotter to the point where it gets dangerous! At this point slip it back in the bag- it will soon cool enough to be able to keep it between your hands for a while.

I found that the calalyst burner doesn't last as long as the specified 70-70 uses- more like 23-30. At six quid for a replacement, you'll need to factor in the cost for several replacements if you use intend to use it on a daily basis. A standard 100ml of lighter fluid costs around £1.50, and gives about 10 fills when using the large measure on the cup supplied. This will last for 12-14 hours per fill. The half measure lasts about 6-8 hours. I sometimes use somewhere in between.

All in all, a good product, but could do with some development in the heat regulation department

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Handwarmer!, 12 May 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
The zippo handwarmer is a great idea! It took me a long time to get it started first time, but once I got it working, it worked great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts forever, 26 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
Unlike other hand warmers this one does last for a long time. Make sure you fill it up to the maximum level when lighting it up for the first time. It stays lukewarm in the cover so you can put it inside a jacket's inside pocket without any worries. And when you need it you can pull it out, it is toasty without the cover. I normally use it in my morning commute, once indoors, I put it back in its bag and tuck it inside my jacket.

Peacock makes the best hand warmers however they are a bit pricey. These are made in the same peacock factories however their finish is a bit inferior to the ones peacock sells by its own brand name but then these are also more affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars winter warmer :), 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
great gift for people who spend lots of time outdoors, once it is lit there is no flame & it keeps your hands warm all day.
once it is lit, you cant put it out, it burns all the petrol and then goes out, so it might be a thought to put half the measured amount into the hand warmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasty hands.., 29 April 2012
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
The Zippo hand warmer works great. In fact this is the second one I have bought as my wife now uses the original silver one I bought a while ago. Once lit it stays warm for several hours and I've found both of them incredibly reliable. They can take a little effort to light when first new, but once you've used them a couple of times lighting becomes effortless.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Zippo Hand Warmer (Sports)
I was a bit skeptical at first, I'm a purist, if I have cold hands I'll put on some gloves.

However, this is a quality product, it's so good I want to give it a name. Although in my case it did not work properly right out of the box, at the time I suspected this may be because I received a sub standard burner so I ordered a replacement. The hand warmer stayed lit on the first day for about 6 hours, not too warm. 2nd day it went out every hour or so in my pocket and had to be relit. It didn't last the 12 hours its supposed to. The most I got was 9 hours. I'd suggest to anyone thinking they may have acquired a faulty one to order a replacement burner.

I didn't have any problems lighting it aside from the time it took to do so with a standard flame. I started using a jet flame lighter, not sure if that's ok but the burner seems to like the blue part of any flame best so it seemed like a good idea and works much quicker. 1 burner is supposed to last up to 70 uses, I'm thinking maybe the jet flame reduces that. Its still experimental right now so I don't know.

The fuel delivery system is not too good, you have to be careful or its a messy experience. Some of the reviews of this product on youtube show a different style of opening for putting fuel in, which looks a lot easier than what I have on my hand warmer. I can only assume that these were earlier models.

The Peacock hand warmer seems to be the best of the bunch. Essentially its exactly the same as this, even made in the same factory by all accounts, but the delivery system for the fuel is much better. For the Peacock you clip the measuring jug to the opening on the burner, fill the jug and then when you rotate it this opens a little valve at the bottom of the jug which releases the fuel, not a drop spilled. I can only assume its patented or something and that's why Zippo can't do the same thing. Also on the box for the Peacock it clearly states that you should light this with a match, I did try about 10 matches and to be honest they were utterly useless.

There is one video on youtube where the lid on the Zippo hand warmer has a little strip attached to it which you can press against the burner when lit, the strip turns red to indicate that its properly lit. This is something I do not have on mine, didn't work too well for the guy in the video so I assume Zippo have dropped the idea.

By the time my replacement burner turned up, the original was refusing to light at all. I could see the difference just looking at them together. Since I attached the new one the hand warmer has been working fine. Infact it's working better than advertised. I'm getting 20hrs of heat for a 12 hr refill, about 12 hours for a 6 hour fill. My Zippo fuel canister which holds enough to fill a lighter will give out 6 hours of heat. I am not sure exactly how quickly fuel evaporates when its not being used. It would be great if there were some sort of seal which prevented it from doing so when not in use.

1 standard 100ml can of fuel will fill this 5.5 times to the max, for the 6 hour burn that's 11 fills per can.

I'd recommend this product if you live in a cold climate, or if you enjoy outdoor wintery activities such as snowboarding, or even if you find yourself all too often freezing at a bus stop, not much use anywhere hot though.

Zippo Handwarmer - Chrome