5.0 out of 5 stars A well-designed tiny Dyson
Published on 18 Feb 2010 by SBrionyS

3.0 out of 5 stars Some advantages but significant failings.
I've never had a Dyson before so I was excited to get one. Overall I would have to say I am disappointed but I can see some advantages for certain groups of consumers.

Published on 16 Mar 2011 by n7misc

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-designed tiny Dyson, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dyson DC26 City Multi Floor Ultra-lightweigh Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen & Home)
Although I've only had my Dyson DC26 a few weeks, I hope my comments might be useful to anyone wondering if it's worth the price. I live in a old terrace house with small rooms, and a couple of rooms have narrow spaces between the pieces of furniture. Also, I'm not as strong as I used to be. For these reasons, and because I've used Dyson vacuums for many years, I was attracted to the DC26. I've been pleased with it so far. The suction does seem very good for such a small machine - and its diminutive size allows it to be wheeled easily through narrow gaps. Although the bin is small, I didn't find it seemed to need emptying annoyingly often - and it conveniently flips open from the bottom so you avoid getting your hands dirty. The different tools and parts, such as the hose, clip together and disconnect smoothly and easily - unlike some earlier Dyson designs I've used. The wand has a good grip and useful adjustment options. I found the dual channel floor tool worked well on my quarry tiles, wooden floors and short pile rugs. The floor tool articulates very flexibly on the end of the wand and its thin profile makes it easy to navigate round tight corners. The two other tools supplied have been useful and, although they're stored on the wand, they don't seem to get in the way when not in use (unlike some previous Dyson designs). This machine really is light and, if you live in a house on four levels, you really appreciate the ease of carrying it up and down stairs. It's also the only mains connected vacuum I can easily hold up off the ground to vacuum book shelves, etc. Yes it is pricey, but if small and light are priorities for you I can recommend this little Dyson. Dyson DC26 City Wood + Wool Ultra-lightweight Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner for Smaller Homes

3.0 out of 5 stars Some advantages but significant failings., 16 Mar 2011
n7misc (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

On the positive side, the machine is tiny. If you live in a small place with limited storage space, as I do, this is a definite plus. It tucks away into a very small space (a deep kitchen drawer would do it) and the parts detach very easily - again, useful for storage. The design is very pleasing, as you might expect, and it will get into very narrow spaces even with the main floor tool attached. It feels very solid and well constructed. I can't see the tube breaking for example - which has happened with most of my previous vacuums.I have a decent size one bed flat and I vacuum most days as I have a cat. I find the drum fine. It needs emptying once a week on average, and the mechanism is very simple and requires no strength or dexterity. It is also very lightweight.

On the negative side, the main problem I have is that it doesn't pick up as well as I would like. Even on wooden floors, I have to go over things twice, and on rugs I have to go over things four or five times and sometimes resort to getting on my knees and using the small tool attachments. This would be a definite disadvantage for my Mum who can't get on her knees any more. The main floor tool is a strange design, with a slot in the centre that causes the machine to miss things. I also find the handle a strange addition - although it is comfortable to hold, it doesn't allow me to exert enough pressure and I often find myself holding the tube instead - it seems extraneous to me.

So all in all - this is a reasonable vacuum. It has some design points that don't suit me, but some features that are very helpful. For the price I think you can do better. I've definitely had more effective machines in the past that weren't much bigger.

Additional note: I've had the dyson for around six months now and I would just add that it's really important to wash out all of the filters regularly - the machine picks up better if you do. I'm really torn by this vacuum and trying to give a fair review - which is why I'm revisiting. I have to say, I do rather like this machine with more use - I think because it is SO light and packs away so small. It is not the best I've had in terms of pick-up, but it has really stood the test of time, daily use and no damage, wear and tear, lessening of effectiveness... which I can't say about previous vacs. So I think in summary - the quality is excellent, it is super compact, the pick-up is ok to good.

5.0 out of 5 stars my lightweight wonder, 14 Jun 2010
Mrs. Beryl Maynard (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
I purchased the DC26 after much research and thinking. Ive had a Dyson before no problems but too heavy, dont wont this again. I bought the dc just before Easter wish I had bought one earlier. It is fantastic, light enough to hold in one hand and vacuum with the other. The suction is great and found it can hold alot before emptying is needed. Of course you can get to wash alot of the parts so it isnt smelling of dust. We live in a two bedroom bungalow so it is plug in and go. Only one slight drawback the long flexi plastic tube attached to the cleaner does make storage a slight problem buy it has not put me off and I am still more than delighted with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, 15 Jun 2010
Judith Barlow (UK) - See all my reviews
I just love my new dyson. I live on a boat, so space is at a premium and this baby not only keeps my home spotless, it also fits into a tiny cupboard. Buy one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 1 Dec 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this vacuum intending to leave it upstairs to save the hassle of lugging my trusty old Dyson DC04 up the stairs. In the event, the DC04 is now gathering dust and I'm finding myself reaching for this little beauty every time. It's brilliant! Far more powerful than my DC04, and much easier to use.

It's incredibly small and light. It's incredibly powerful. It's incredibly manoeuvrable, and it's just great. I had reservations that this model,which is the smallest in the range, would be too small and wouldn't hold much dust. In fact, the small size is it's biggest asset. Instead of towing it along behind you as you trundle through the house it's much easier just to carry it as it's running. It doesn't hold a lot of dust, but it holds enough - I have an old two-up two-down cottage and I can easily do the entire house without having to stop and empty it. When I've finished, all you do is unclip the dust container, hold it over the bin and press a button and the bottom flips open and the dust slides out. This is a much better design than my old DC04, where emptying the bin meant holding it upside down and shaking all the dust out, getting it all over the place. It's easy to steer around things like coffee tables, or to get into awkward corners, and reaches underneath things with ease. The suction head is only about 1cm thick, and so you can slide it under things like settees without having to lift anything up.
The alternative heads are neatly clipped on, and swapping them over is done just by pressing the red button and unclipping. Very quick and easy.

The compact size of the vaccum is undermined slightly by the unwieldy hose, but even this is kept to a minimum. The wand can be telescoped down to a manageable size, and the hose isn't one of those ridiculous 'elephant guts' type affairs that go everywhere and knock things over.

The design is very Dyson, all form-from-function and hitech looking and is a very pretty looking thing.

Your instinct when buying a vacuum is to start big, and work your way down to the little vacuums. With this baby, I think that this is all you need.
Small, neat, very powerful, and highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little wonder., 16 Mar 2010
I bought this model as an "upstairs" spare to save me carrying my larger Dyson up & down the stairs. It is very light and the suction is exceptional for a vacuum cleaner of this size. It is no easier to store than any other vacuum with a hose, but the cleaning power and light weight make it a must for anybody, even if you use it as your main cleaner. You do have to empty it more often due to its small size, but I empty my larger model after every use anyway so that is no problem to me.
It works well on hard and soft flooring - just as the manufacturer says it would and includes all of the extra tools you get on a larger model.
Well done Mr Dyson.

5.0 out of 5 stars A small engineering wonder, 31 July 2010
The vacuum cleaner is light and small. As promised, sucks just great. Every single detail is thoroughly thought of. A suction power throttling handle to ease cleaning small carpets, a mechanism to empty the dust container without touching any dirty part, big wheels on the brash preventing hair from winding on, parking rails for the brush ensuring the device takes as few space as possible when stored.
A little disappointing thing is that all junctions between tubes are little bit shaky. But this couldn't be done better in plastic without significantly increasing the weight of the device.
So far I am enjoying very much. It's worth its price. Engineering wonders should we well paid.

After 2 years of once-a-week usage nothing is broken.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Baby!, 10 Oct 2010
I was so pleased when my new dyson arrived, it's now my baby. It replaces my old DC05 that has given up the ghost after 11 years! I have also got a much bigger Dyson that I now keep upstairs as it is so heavy for me to lift.
It was for that reason that I did a detailed search on the size, dimensions, capacity and storage space required for a new cleaner. This little City exactly fits the criteria as I am not getting any younger and suffer from a really bad back. I am so happy with the ease of use and weight and colour of this cleaner! The hose is very long and easily reaches up the stairs! I think the only downside to this City is the length of the cord. My previous DC05 could reach much further and I feel this is the only thing that lets it down.
But, I still love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 May 2010
Judith Glover (Spain) - See all my reviews
I have purchased a few vacuum cleaners recently trying to find a really good one that I was satisfied with. I have now done that. The Dyson City is brilliant, so light and small, easy to use, particularly for stairs it has enough attachments and an extension, everything really that you need, I am very, very satisfied with this purchase and the delivery of it as I live in Spain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small is Best., 22 April 2010
R. Hodges "Ray Hodges." (England) - See all my reviews
I already own a large and heavy Dyson for downstairs
but this little gem is superb for the bedrooms and bathroom.
Very lightweight and easy to use. Dyson are the BEST.