5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value - great product
This remote costs not much more than the basic canon tethered cable release for my 5D yet does infinitely more. It works over tremendous distances and through walls and windows (unlike the ridiculously expensive and less well featured Canon wireless remote which requires line of sight) and is also a timer and time lapse device.

Very well made and intuitive to...
Published on 21 Jan. 2011 by Captain Slocum

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware which lead you use
Published on 15 Feb. 2011 by Mikeyb

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value - great product, 21 Jan. 2011

Very well made and intuitive to use - you won't need the instructions once you have used it once or twice. Can be used as a conventional tethered remote as well while keeping all the timer/time lapse functionality. Unlike canon releases, this can be used with a wide range of Canon models as it has two cables (it annoys me that I before this I had to have two different Canon releases for my two Canon cameras).

The receiver clips into the flash hotshoe but does not use the pins so if you want to use a camera mounted flash with this you can but will need to find a way to secure the receiver unit to your camera or tripod - a bit of insulating tape did it for me but you could easily devise something better.

The only slight niggle is that the plug that fits into the 5D remote socket does not have a firm locking clip like the Canon remote and is a bit of a sloppy fit. Theoretically if the cable were pulled I imagine it could bend the little pins in the socket, so care is needed removing the cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gadget - Canon version, 30 Jan. 2011
Colin F. King (Sothborough, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First, full marks to Amazon for replacing a faulty unit. It was 'dead on arrival' and Amazon managed to get me another the very next day! That is super service, and they trusted me to send back the faulty one, which of course I did.

The unit is very clever and works really well. It claims to do a lot of things and as far as I can tell, it does them all well. It is small and neat and contrary to others' comments elsewhere, the instructions are fine. Perhaps they have been rewritten.

I have not been able to test the range, but in our large house it worked well through several walls. If you want a simple remote, this one may be a bit over the top, but if you want to be able to set off a burst of a defined number of shots after a predetermined delay, this is the one for you. Or you can take a variable number of shots at a variable interval after a variable delay. This can get quite complicated!

Just one small point, the unit does seem rather fragile. Not unusable, but not industrial strength, either. Perhaps not for the rough and tumble of a professional team but fine for amateur use (which I assume is the target market).

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything, 17 Mar. 2010
There are plenty of wireless remotes on the market, but this one does it all.

I went for a wireless remote as it gives me complete freedom from being anywhere near my camera which means it's great for self portraits or if you're setting stuff up etc.
So why choose the Giga T Pro? well it does everything, from single shots (complete with half-press for autofocus) to burst shooting. The remote's about the size of a USB drive and is fully programmable for delays, shot bursts, those long exposures in bulb mode, shooting mode and you can even set up time delays if you want a sunrise or flower opening series.

I've not had it long but this is really helping me out with all sorts but mainly with night photography, no camera shake when pressing the shutter and I don't have to set a delay to avoid that shake either. It's great to have the control without being tied to the camera.
It's also good to know I've the functionality when I need it, I'm not going to wish I'd bought something better in 6 months.

All in all, well worth the investment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware which lead you use, 15 Feb. 2011
Mikeyb (Bristol England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control for Nikon DSLR with Timer and Time Lapse (Accessory)
I ordered the Hahnel Giga T Pro and as always with Amazon it arrived the next day. I had read that it is a good piece of kit and the camera mag I read each month recommended it. I have a Nikon D90 and I opened the pack to find all the bits plus 3 leads presumably to fit all types of Nikon cameras. I was a bit wary of the instructions manual as other Amazon reviewers had said that it leaves a lot to be desired. They were right! It is quite difficult to follow.
I placed the supplied battery into the Giga T Pro and selected what looked to be the correct lead from the 3 (there are no pointers in the instructions as to which lead fitted my camera). It did not fit, even though the pins in the plug appeared to match those of the remote release socket on my D90. One of the other leads fitted but very loosely and I switched on the camera and then the Giga T Pro. The camera was dead with no power. It had been in perfect working order up to the moment I plugged in the Giga T Pro. £216 later, having blown the main power and programme boards of my D90 I decided to cut my losses and sent the Giga T Pro back to Amazon for their usual swift refund.
Hahnel have been sympathetic and sent me the "correct" lead for my camera but I shall not be re-ordering. They refused to consider contributing to the cost of the repair even though they acknowledge that the instructions manual leaves a lot to be desired. I just hope this post will hasten their efforts to improve it and to ensure that the leads they supply are clearly marked and fit correctly. You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 11 Mar. 2010
Now this really is a great piece of kit for professionals and amateurs alike. I've had one for a few months.It builds on the previous Pro remote model, awarded Digital Photos Gear of the Year 2009. First, it has a great range but in addition to the standard release function there is both a basic timer and an interval timer programme. These can be set for single shots or continuous bursts. Another function allows you to programme intervals of long or short exposures. I have used this device to great effect on remote cameras while shooting weddings. For landscapes and changing light it's also excellent, as an example on a clear evening set the camera on bulb, place it in a window and shoot a series of star trail images over the roof tops through the night. Wildlife, especially bird photography, is another area where it excels. Positioning and hiding the camera while triggering the shutter from a hide or inside a building will give you some great results. I don't often rave about kit but the Giga T Pro really affords photographers some first class opportunities for creative flexibility.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps me take previously impossible pictures, 23 Mar. 2011
I wanted a remote control for my Nikon D-200 SLR. The choices were between this Hahnel Gig T Pro, one of Nikon's own-brand remotes: the Nikon Mc-36 Remote Cord or the £450+ Nikon Wireless Transmitter WT-3, or else an ultra-cheap bit of kit from some Chinese manufacturer I've never heard of.

I didn't want to blow my Nikon apart with a dodgy bit of electronics from someone I'd never find again. And I couldn't be sure of build quality. So that ruled out the ultra-cheap Chinese offerings.

The MC-36 is nice but expensive and its cord means you have to stand within a metre of the camera to operate it. That's fine in some situations but I wanted to set up my SLR near the bird feeders in my garden to get some close-up shots. And I'm sure the WT-3 is lovely, although I've never seen one, and it would allow me both more control over the camera and to download pictures wirelessly from it. But I'd also have to invest in Nikon's Camera Control software - another £100 popped away!

So the decision in the end was easy. And the Giga T Pro is straightforward to use, allows me to take one shot at a time, or a burst of pictures, or a time lapse sequence.

For my bird feeder pictures I put the camera on a tripod, attach the wireless receiver, turn off auto-focus, select aperture priority and f6.3 or so, pre-focus manually on the perch and retire to the house. From there I click the wireless remote whenever I see a bird in the right place. After some initial camera-shyness, it works a treat.

I'm delighted with this product, although I've not had it long enough to test battery life. I'd give it five stars if it came with its own little case to keep the three parts together: the remote control, the receiver which mounts on the hot shoe, and the cable which attaches to the 10-pin socket on the camera. A mobile phone case should do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT TIMER - INSTRUCTIONS COULD BE BETTER, 23 Nov. 2010
A Happy Chappie (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Excellent item. As others have said there is not much in the timing sense, if anything, that the Giga T Pro won't do. Very impressive, though just a trifle fiddly to set up on occasion.

Couple of points though, firstly it comes supplied with 2 short connector cables, one fits my 550D, so I guess it's for newer Canon cameras, the other fits my 20D, so I guess that's for old Canon's. Secondly, and again as others have mentioned, one needs to read the instructions for use carefully because they are not of the clearest - and the font is quite small. But, that is to nitpick. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars What they forget to tell you, 20 Jun. 2013
mowngorilla (deeside wales uk) - See all my reviews
I just bought this product and the battery in the transmitter had gone dead.
Not the end of the world but a bit disappointing after paying £70 and having to wait an extra day to buy a battery{£3.50 for 2 at asda}While you're at asda buy a set of opticians screwdrivers, if they still stock them, as you will need one of them to unscrew the rather small screws keeping the transmitter together.
Had the product on my camera and it works ok,in fact its well made and sturdy.As stated by others the handbook is virtually useless but Hahnel do a good vid on you tube, go to the one by Hahnel industries, its the best one.
So one star off for not packing the lithium battery apart{Hahnel please note}
Handy product and am looking forward to using it.
After replacing the battery I did a quick test and everything was working OK,however when I wanted to use the product a day later the battery had died again. Inserted a new battery and instead of screwing the transmitter together again, I used some duct tape for quick and easy access. I set the Hahnel up for some remote shooting then removed the battery from the transmitter, while the receiver carried on exposing away merrily. I will wait to see how long this battery lasts before I return the Hahnel for a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera remote control, 19 Nov. 2010
The Hahnel Giga T pro wireless remote control has become an excellent addition for my Canon 550D SLR Camera. It is simple to fit and use and works perfectly, the only caution I would give to others thinking of purchasing this kit is because of the type of fitting for the receiver you cannot use it with an external flash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Giga T Pro, 18 Nov. 2010
I had to make a choice either a basic intervolometer or the giga t pro. I had seen a basic model but this had added dimensions - massive activation range, better settings including mirror lockup allowance within the settings.

All said and done - the item is well made and works. As usual the manual (a piece of origami in many languages including inglish - yes with an i does let this product down, i'm still finding my way around the menus and figuring out how it all works.

We demand better, more concise, manuals please!