5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value - great product
This remote costs not much more than the basic canon tethered cable release for my 5D yet does infinitely more. It works over tremendous distances and through walls and windows (unlike the ridiculously expensive and less well featured Canon wireless remote which requires line of sight) and is also a timer and time lapse device.

Very well made and intuitive to...
Published on 21 Jan 2011 by Captain Slocum

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware which lead you use
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by Mikeyb

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value - great product, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Hahnel Giga T Pro II Wireless Remote Control for Canon DSLR with Timer and Time Lapse (Accessory)

Very well made and intuitive to use - you won't need the instructions once you have used it once or twice. Can be used as a conventional tethered remote as well while keeping all the timer/time lapse functionality. Unlike canon releases, this can be used with a wide range of Canon models as it has two cables (it annoys me that I before this I had to have two different Canon releases for my two Canon cameras).

The receiver clips into the flash hotshoe but does not use the pins so if you want to use a camera mounted flash with this you can but will need to find a way to secure the receiver unit to your camera or tripod - a bit of insulating tape did it for me but you could easily devise something better.

The only slight niggle is that the plug that fits into the 5D remote socket does not have a firm locking clip like the Canon remote and is a bit of a sloppy fit. Theoretically if the cable were pulled I imagine it could bend the little pins in the socket, so care is needed removing the cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything, 17 Mar 2010
There are plenty of wireless remotes on the market, but this one does it all.

I went for a wireless remote as it gives me complete freedom from being anywhere near my camera which means it's great for self portraits or if you're setting stuff up etc.
So why choose the Giga T Pro? well it does everything, from single shots (complete with half-press for autofocus) to burst shooting. The remote's about the size of a USB drive and is fully programmable for delays, shot bursts, those long exposures in bulb mode, shooting mode and you can even set up time delays if you want a sunrise or flower opening series.

I've not had it long but this is really helping me out with all sorts but mainly with night photography, no camera shake when pressing the shutter and I don't have to set a delay to avoid that shake either. It's great to have the control without being tied to the camera.
It's also good to know I've the functionality when I need it, I'm not going to wish I'd bought something better in 6 months.

All in all, well worth the investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gadget - Canon version, 30 Jan 2011
Colin F. King (Sothborough, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First, full marks to Amazon for replacing a faulty unit. It was 'dead on arrival' and Amazon managed to get me another the very next day! That is super service, and they trusted me to send back the faulty one, which of course I did.

The unit is very clever and works really well. It claims to do a lot of things and as far as I can tell, it does them all well. It is small and neat and contrary to others' comments elsewhere, the instructions are fine. Perhaps they have been rewritten.

I have not been able to test the range, but in our large house it worked well through several walls. If you want a simple remote, this one may be a bit over the top, but if you want to be able to set off a burst of a defined number of shots after a predetermined delay, this is the one for you. Or you can take a variable number of shots at a variable interval after a variable delay. This can get quite complicated!

Just one small point, the unit does seem rather fragile. Not unusable, but not industrial strength, either. Perhaps not for the rough and tumble of a professional team but fine for amateur use (which I assume is the target market).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 11 Mar 2010
Now this really is a great piece of kit for professionals and amateurs alike. I've had one for a few months.It builds on the previous Pro remote model, awarded Digital Photos Gear of the Year 2009. First, it has a great range but in addition to the standard release function there is both a basic timer and an interval timer programme. These can be set for single shots or continuous bursts. Another function allows you to programme intervals of long or short exposures. I have used this device to great effect on remote cameras while shooting weddings. For landscapes and changing light it's also excellent, as an example on a clear evening set the camera on bulb, place it in a window and shoot a series of star trail images over the roof tops through the night. Wildlife, especially bird photography, is another area where it excels. Positioning and hiding the camera while triggering the shutter from a hide or inside a building will give you some great results. I don't often rave about kit but the Giga T Pro really affords photographers some first class opportunities for creative flexibility.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware which lead you use, 15 Feb 2011
Mikeyb (Bristol England) - See all my reviews
I ordered the Hahnel Giga T Pro and as always with Amazon it arrived the next day. I had read that it is a good piece of kit and the camera mag I read each month recommended it. I have a Nikon D90 and I opened the pack to find all the bits plus 3 leads presumably to fit all types of Nikon cameras. I was a bit wary of the instructions manual as other Amazon reviewers had said that it leaves a lot to be desired. They were right! It is quite difficult to follow.
I placed the supplied battery into the Giga T Pro and selected what looked to be the correct lead from the 3 (there are no pointers in the instructions as to which lead fitted my camera). It did not fit, even though the pins in the plug appeared to match those of the remote release socket on my D90. One of the other leads fitted but very loosely and I switched on the camera and then the Giga T Pro. The camera was dead with no power. It had been in perfect working order up to the moment I plugged in the Giga T Pro. 216 later, having blown the main power and programme boards of my D90 I decided to cut my losses and sent the Giga T Pro back to Amazon for their usual swift refund.
Hahnel have been sympathetic and sent me the "correct" lead for my camera but I shall not be re-ordering. They refused to consider contributing to the cost of the repair even though they acknowledge that the instructions manual leaves a lot to be desired. I just hope this post will hasten their efforts to improve it and to ensure that the leads they supply are clearly marked and fit correctly. You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT TIMER - INSTRUCTIONS COULD BE BETTER, 23 Nov 2010
A. Taylor (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Excellent item. As others have said there is not much in the timing sense, if anything, that the Giga T Pro won't do. Very impressive, though just a trifle fiddly to set up on occasion.

Couple of points though, firstly it comes supplied with 2 short connector cables, one fits my 550D, so I guess it's for newer Canon cameras, the other fits my 20D, so I guess that's for old Canon's. Secondly, and again as others have mentioned, one needs to read the instructions for use carefully because they are not of the clearest - and the font is quite small. But, that is to nitpick. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera remote control, 19 Nov 2010
The Hahnel Giga T pro wireless remote control has become an excellent addition for my Canon 550D SLR Camera. It is simple to fit and use and works perfectly, the only caution I would give to others thinking of purchasing this kit is because of the type of fitting for the receiver you cannot use it with an external flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'd be mad not to, 14 May 2010
Mr. W. Archibald "Gadget Man" (Leeds, West Yorkshire, Uk) - See all my reviews
Where do i start with?? This product is pricy but well worth paying out for. I recieved mine and tested it straight away and found it really is faultless. I have a wired version and would never go back to trailing wire. The quality of this unit is superb they really have outdone themselves. .......buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps me take previously impossible pictures, 23 Mar 2011
I wanted a remote control for my Nikon D-200 SLR. The choices were between this Hahnel Gig T Pro, one of Nikon's own-brand remotes: the Nikon Mc-36 Remote Cord or the 450+ Nikon Wireless Transmitter WT-3, or else an ultra-cheap bit of kit from some Chinese manufacturer I've never heard of.

I didn't want to blow my Nikon apart with a dodgy bit of electronics from someone I'd never find again. And I couldn't be sure of build quality. So that ruled out the ultra-cheap Chinese offerings.

The MC-36 is nice but expensive and its cord means you have to stand within a metre of the camera to operate it. That's fine in some situations but I wanted to set up my SLR near the bird feeders in my garden to get some close-up shots. And I'm sure the WT-3 is lovely, although I've never seen one, and it would allow me both more control over the camera and to download pictures wirelessly from it. But I'd also have to invest in Nikon's Camera Control software - another 100 popped away!

So the decision in the end was easy. And the Giga T Pro is straightforward to use, allows me to take one shot at a time, or a burst of pictures, or a time lapse sequence.

For my bird feeder pictures I put the camera on a tripod, attach the wireless receiver, turn off auto-focus, select aperture priority and f6.3 or so, pre-focus manually on the perch and retire to the house. From there I click the wireless remote whenever I see a bird in the right place. After some initial camera-shyness, it works a treat.

I'm delighted with this product, although I've not had it long enough to test battery life. I'd give it five stars if it came with its own little case to keep the three parts together: the remote control, the receiver which mounts on the hot shoe, and the cable which attaches to the 10-pin socket on the camera. A mobile phone case should do the trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony remote control, 14 Mar 2011
Took some time to get working on my A200, and you need to know how to properly use your camera with it. Functions well, though it does have some idiosyncrasies, like frame counting needs to be set one higher than needed, count starts from one rather than zero. For a remote release its good