Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

on 29 October 2010
this brought back memories from the past of a great series which I watched many years ago. It is very well acted out and great viewing. Have no hesitation in recommending this series.
on 15 April 2012
The first Series starts out kind of slow,Sam as a young boy.
When Mark McManus comes in as Sam in the second Series the show really takes off.
I would rank it up there with Upstairs Downstairs,it is that enjoyable.
I found it very hard not to sit up and watch it all night long.
You really get caught up with the Series, it is that well written and acted.
The filming locations give it a very believable feeling about the the whole Series.
The Writing is really remarkable,John Finch does a fantastic job.
The dialog between Mark Mcmanus and Michael Goodliffe will leave you stunned.
A very eye opening piece of historical drama.
The video and sound quality vary at times due to it's age.
It should be restored as it would be well worth it to buy it again.
Good service from Amazon UK and the Royal Mail/Canada Post as always.
on 19 October 2012
I missed this series when it was on tv in the 1970's because I was at boarding school. There is a lot of dialogue and I suspect the poverty shown is not as bad as it really was in the 1930's before the creation of the welfare state. I have recently read George Orwel's The Road to Wigan Pier and the series SAM - which I haven't yet finished watching - reminds me of that book, especially the awful lodging house where Alan and George stayed whilst looking for work away from home.
on 29 April 2012
Like a lot of people I watched this when it was originaly broadcast but it meant not a lot to me. Having recently begun my family tree and now researching generations of miners this series has brought my ancestors to life, Grandad was my history.That apart, anyone who enjoys following the life story of a family will love this. Ready to watch it from the begining again now!
on 16 February 2014
I'm American and I am in love with this DvD.. Watching foreign TV is amazing and fun. I'm in awe of how great the storytelling and love the actors roles. I got my movie in a very fast follow thru...
on 22 March 2013
Watch the series when I was a kid love it then. And still love it brings back memories when i was at pit still not much change from the thirty s to the seventies
on 9 November 2012
One of the best TV series ever produced, on top 5 together with The Forsythe Saga (of the sixties) and A Family at War.
on 20 August 2015
the box set was sent on time and we are enjoying it very much.
on 23 July 2014
Enjoyed the film a lot. Yorkshire accent is fun.
on 9 August 2015