5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album from little known Ozzies
Published on 17 Jan. 2010 by I. J. Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK
This is a good album. Although, it is, like so much these days, a bit boring and a lot of it sounds the same, without any real high points. Good musicianship, although the lyrics are cliched and come across as disingenuous. Most of the "prog" albums from recent years seem to have been interchangeable and largely indistinguishable from each other, certainly not...
Published 11 months ago by J.S

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album from little known Ozzies, 17 Jan. 2010
I. J. Davies "The Rock Addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
Where to start,. This is an amazing album, full of invension creativity and above all passion. Prog Metal rock at its finest, and if you are a fan of Mastodon, Fair to Midland, Tool, Hurt etc this will not disappoint you. For my money one of the best three albums of 2009, alongside Crack the Skye by Mastodon and Common Existence by Thursday, it sounds enormous and epic, beautifully crafted, thoughtful and intelligent. Hard to pick out stand out tracks, but the ones that do it for me are Simple Boy, All I Know and Umbria, but dont miss out on repeat listens to Deadman, because every time you do you will find something new in it !!!!

Dont delay order today, a classic album

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent album, 24 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
I first heard this band after perusing the 'customers who bought this item also bought' list attached to Oceansize's EP 'Home & Minor'. I'm a big Oceansize fan & I'm always on the look out (often desperately) for other bands whose music is equally ambitious, epic, modern & melodic. I checked out Karnivool on Spotify & something about their music grabbed me. I was immediately addicted to the first track 'simple boy', but my addiction to the whole of 'Sound Awake' soon followed. This is a highly impressive piece of work in every sense: performance, production, & arrangement. I must've listened to the album about 50 times now & it just keeps on getting better. I think I'll be very fortunate if I stumble upon another band as good as this any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karnivool rules, 28 Dec. 2009
Andreas Pyromallis (Athens Greece (Hellas)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
ok, this is not another good album among others.
This is THE new sound of the century. Sound Awake is one of the best albums that i have in these 25 years that i am breathing in the Metal and Hard Rock Universe. It simply makes a giant step forward in progressive (metal/rock-call-it-anything-you-want music) and i would be more than a happy, if such an album comes out once in a year.
Grab it by all means

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary aural experience, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of the band's first effort Themata, I thought I'd give this album a go. I will admit that I wasn't immediately impressed. It didn't have the instantly accessible, stronger tracks that Themata had and whilst it definitely had a feeling of consistency that demanded another play, it didn't grab me in the first three or four plays.

I was just about to write it off... and then I listened to it. I mean, I really listened to it. And then I really listened to it again. And again! Each time I played the album through, I noticed something new about it. It was then I realised the startling depth to the album; the real maturity woven in amongst the genius melodies and advanced progressive time signatures. This is a record that grew and grew and grew on me, to the point that I realised I had been listening to it for weeks without getting tired of it.

After I had finally taken in all the beautiful musicalities and Ian Kenny's breathtaking vocals- even stronger than on Themata, I hasten to add- I came to rest on possibly my biggest praise for the album: the lyrics. The lyrical content never falls below supreme. It appears that several of the songs are asking profound questions on religion and theology, often with cynical undertones. Other songs have an essence that is perhaps a lot more universal, with my personal favourite being "All I Know," which is a stunning and, in my opinion, transcendental take on a failing long-term relationship. In fact, possibly even more poignant is "Umbra," the deeply moving and very vivid insight into depression and perhaps even alcoholism. Not to go overkill on the praise, but this song has actually brought me to tears on some occasions. Quite an achievement!

I will conclude here, despite having volumes more to say about the album. It's my favourite album, put simply. Buy it, let it challenge you, move you and inspire you.

5.0 out of 5 stars fresh breath from fifth continent, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
I don't exactly remember how i discovered this band, but to order "Sound Awake" was happy to step. Before it arrived to my CD player i read a lot of articles about the album, so i had some imagine. I was expecting mixture of Tool, Oceansize and even The Mars Volta. However, after first listen, this expectation was confirmed, but only in a few aspects. The true is that the music here is very fresh, innovative and also listenable at same time, which is quite remarkable. The music can be described as progressive rock, but its progressiveness is different from creation of Dream Theater or Flower Kings for example. For me this is more natural (and i think more difficult) way how to create progressive music, there is always song in the first place. Of course the musicianship is top notch but you will hardly find any shredding. The opener "Simple Boy" starts the journey and deploys the bar really high. But don't be affraid this standard is no problem for the rest of songs. The next one "Goliath" with its perfect beginning is the evidence. "New Day" is maybe my favourite song on the album. It starts quietly , but it is building and building till the beautiful chorus. "Umbra" starts with almost grunge like atmosphere, maybe because of the guitar riff, but then it is spread to really impressive piece of music. "All I Know" could be without any doubt surfing on radio airwaves, and world would be much better place...The album closers are two epics "Deadman" and "Change", two longest pieces on the album, but you will not fall asleep at all, because they are very cleverly crafted without any dull moment. They showed us that even long songs can be interesting from start to finish. As i mentioned before the musicians are excelent, but for me vocals and drumming are really perfect. Only small problem that i have with this release is production. Yes, it is modern and clean, but sometimes, especially in choruses it is little bit too loud, too in your face wall of sound, but it is only minor complaint of otherwise awesome piece of art. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is the the start of all I know, 13 Mar. 2010
Wow.

Karnivool appeared on a music channel for 4 minutes. I added them to my wishlist and bought them a month later.
In the last week they have been on repeat at work in my ears for seven hours straight.

The guitars have that whine similar to Tool, with hard hitting riffs that you'd expect from Disturbed or System of a Down. The bass has that thrash clicking sound that Korn is famous for, and the drums are so distinct that you won't never forget that they are they. The vocals are powerful, I find it really hard to find a fault.

The five year gap between this and their first album have not changed the sound at all, if you liked that you'll love this.
The average length of song is about 5:30 minutes, which speaks for the ambience and the progressive nature of this band. Every break brings something different, though the time signature changes remain relatively simple.

The final two tracks on the album speak out to how far this band can carry a song. With Deadman being Change Part 1.5 before Change Part 2 begins.

Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars YES..., 17 April 2010
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
two weeks ago, I had never heard of these Aussie Prog-Rockers, now I can't get enough of them.

If you are a fan of Tool, The Mars Volta or Oceansize then you simply need to hear this band, they are almost an eclectic mix of the three. Even Karnivool's vocalist sounds like a cross between Maynard and Cedric Bixler. There are some absolute gems on here, the songs 'Deadman' and 'Change' in particular are absolutely majestic. The individual performances are really tight and the production is top notch, it all makes for a superb album that has been in my car for some time and is likely to remain there for a while yet. They will grab you on the first listen and every song will grow on you to the point where you will wonder how you ever got by without them.

This will be my discovery of the year by a country mile

5.0 out of 5 stars what an amazing band, 14 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
This album is by far the best album I have in my collection, the more I keep listening to it, the better it gets. I have constantly listened to their albums. I went to see them last night and they were purely awesome, incredible sound they had. This album is a must buy, every second of it is brilliant, fantastic music. At times I am shocked as to how they get such a great sound, and as a musician myself, I am overwhelmed with their talent.. cant wait for their next album...

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
Soaring vocals, intricate lyrics and fantastic all round ability of the band members make this album a must-have for lovers of Tool, Rishloo, The Butterfly Effect, The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree. Watch out for the drum riffs, they will blow you out of your house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sound Awake (Audio CD)
Incredible soundscape. Overheard one track at work, checked them out on Spotify, been listening non-stop for weeks now. Really setting the standard for prog metal. Nothing else like it.

Sound Awake