Published on 10 April 2008 by F. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Did Not Like It
Published on 26 Mar 2010 by C. M. Cotton

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! The first ever truthful self help book AND it fits in my pocket, 10 April 2008
F. Anderson - See all my reviews
I read John Bird's "7 steps" books under duress, but I really appreciated his "give 3 percent" approach. I grabbed this one because it was small and light and I like his style. And what a good book it is. Filled with almost obvious practical gems of insight, sometimes harsh, sometimes funny, always no-nonsense crystal clear, I think I'll probably give away all the rest of my "self help" books to de clutter my bookshelf... this is the only one I'll ever need!

5.0 out of 5 stars the 10 keys to success, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: The 10 Keys to Success (Paperback)
Easy to read and understand. Focuses on determination of the writer to get where and wat he wants in life

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful and inspiring little book, 26 May 2011
This is a gem of a guide for ordinary people who want to find the courage and inspiration to move ahead with their dream. John Bird's style is honest and real and his advice is believable. He doesn't give you false hopes but he gives you courage to believe that anyone from the most ordinary of backgrounds and education can decide on a project and see it through. It's a book to read more than once. You identify with him in both his ups and his downs and you exult with him in his triumphs. His success with Big Issue is testimony to his courage and persistence to accomplish what he set out to do. I see I've used the word 'courage' three times and, indeed, courageous is a very apt description for John Bird. A great role model for the ordinary man (or woman) in the street! A must-read for everyone - and it won't take you long!

2.0 out of 5 stars Did Not Like It, 26 Mar 2010
C. M. Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have read 100's of very poor books on the Laws of Attraction in the last few years. I started reading books about goal setting, mind control and success principles in 1985. I have used what I learnt from my extensive reading, coupled with academic qualifications, business and psychology experience, to create a consulting company, teaching seminars to corporations in strategic thinking, leadership, marketing, goal setting and business development. I also use the principles to help individuals, by guiding them as a Peak Performance Coach, teaching people cognitive methods to help goal set and enhance their lives beyond what they could do on their own. As such, I read as many books as I can, on a variety of subjects to enhance my knowledge. I can honestly say, that with all that experience, that this book is not great. It simply does not compare in style or substance to some of the best books on the market.

John Bird is obviously a great person, but I really hate his writing style. To be honest this book is a depressing read. There are some good points made, but they get lost in the mire of writing style, that fails to make the points clear. At the end of each short chapter is a list of key points. My style of reading is to mark with a pencil, the key points. Very often the real key points made in a chapter, seem not to be covered in the summary. Its very very strange.....unless I am missing something. There are some good points made, but books such as SKINNY on, Success or Willpower or Time Management (which are short and quick reads, but so much better than Bird's style) and John Maxwell's Road Map to Success are so much better at saying what he is trying to say.

To summarise, I found it a book that gets lost within a depressing writing style. The key points are sometimes missed in the summary pages. This book will not empower you, it is more likely to dis-empower you, unless you click with the style. There are far better books on success than this book. Could not recommend it.