4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating collage
I loved this book. The coverage is incredibly broad, and the sheer fascination of the music really comes alive through Reynolds's writing. The other reviewers sum up the great things about this book well, and I agree with what they said. So here are a couple of criticisms: he doesn't contextualise the music in the political and cultural context of the day as well as...
Published on 7 Jun 2005 by Mr. Richard E. Ashcroft

3.0 out of 5 stars SIX FORM
There is absolutely no doubting the brillance and genius of this period of music,some genius bands.But in contrast to most of the reviews i found Rip It Up ultimately to be a bit of a flat read,which considering the innovative nature of the bands featured is quite odd.
Its all very dorky,male Mojo magazine reading stuff that fails to capture the sheer visceral...
Published on 25 May 2012 by mister joe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip it up (Literally), 2 Mar 2013
Mr. Stephen D. Price (Derby UK) - See all my reviews
Supposed to be a book about music but it's just some clever author trying to get as many big, long words into a sentance, paragraph, page etc; as he can. I consider myself to be well educated but I just cannot understand the nonsense written in what I thought would be a light hearted, factual, music book. Don't buy it. If I could give it NO stars I would. Try 'Please Kill Me' instead, the era is early Punk through to the death of the Pistols but this is a book you don't want to end. Hope this review helps you wasting even the discounted price of 3 odd. If you want long words buy a dictionary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Dismal Music Ever, 4 Jun 2011
I actually had to live through that period. A terrible time. Every band featured was awful. (I haven't read the book - the music was bad enough).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›