- I like art and appreciate this artist.
Yes, amazon should seek to support and disseminate this kind of cultural and artistic information ( I congratulate the Amazon). For example about others as Pipilotti Rist, or Rebecca Horn, or Nicolas Provost (...)
Published 15 months ago by Armando Pereira

2.0 out of 5 stars Abramovic relation with the audience does not survive
Published on 9 Oct 2011 by J. M. M. Out

2.0 out of 5 stars Abramovic relation with the audience does not survive, 9 Oct 2011
J. M. M. Out "Hans Out" (The Hague, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seven Easy Pieces by Marina Abramovi [DVD] (DVD)
I have been following Marina Abramovic's work and life for some 30 years. I have never been completely sure whether her performance art and the form in general is not self-indulgence, narcism, but have continued to be fascinated. Obviously, I have decided to err on the positive. Abramovic is a leading figure with charisma, authority, determination. Although I have never seen any of her performances live, I have been impressed, spell-bound on the basis of seeing many of the resulting films she (and Ulay) produced.

Again, I missed the recent career overview she staged at MoMA, but own the extensive catalogue + CR-ROM narration and, again, was captured.

Not so by this DVD. I can only say I was seriously disappointed. The spell she cast on her live audiences and on me through her films etc. does not come across here. Why? Because the image is too pretty, yet sterile? Maybe, but the chief cause will be the editing, and the fact that each of the seven pieces that will have lasted hours in reality here only have a duration of 10 minutes or so. The soul of the pieces does not survive. Her rendition of Vito Acconci's Seedbed appears outright ridiculous. She will have been masturbating etc. for several hours under a floor that held the audience whilst providing a live naration. The 10-minute edit makes the piece come across as unmotivated phone sex, read by a machine from a sheet of paper.

Abramovic and her audience deserve better. The two stars I for her, not for the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars For example about others as Pipilotti Rist, or Rebecca Horn, or Nicolas Provost (...), 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Seven Easy Pieces by Marina Abramovi [DVD] (DVD)
- I like art and appreciate this artist.

Seven Easy Pieces by Marina Abramovi [DVD]
Seven Easy Pieces by Marina Abramovi [DVD] by Marina Abramovic (DVD - 2010)