5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for DIY enthusists or as a second drill for trade
I gave this drill to my husband (who is a plumber/electrician), so the review that follows is based on his opinion. The drill he normally uses is a Makita, very heavy duty and capable of drilling pretty well anything, BUT considerably more expensive, as you might expect.

Published on 25 Nov 2010 by S. Diment

1.0 out of 5 stars Chuck loosening problems
Published 22 months ago by Softmint

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for DIY enthusists or as a second drill for trade, 25 Nov 2010
S. Diment "sue_diment" (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bosch PSB 18 LI-2 Cordless 18 Volt Hammer Drill, 1 x Li-Ion Battery (DIY & Tools)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

He has used this drill for a lot of jobs that don't need the power of his Makita drill, from choice, because this drill is lighter and therefore lot easier to use, particularly in tight spaces. Like the Makita, it has a light which also comes in handy when drilling in dark corners. One other minor plus point over the Makita is that it has a battery indicator that tells you how much charge is left - preventing those annoying situations where your drill packs up halfway through a job! Charging doesn't take long, so he felt the battery indicator to some extent offset the need for the second battery he has for the Makita, particularly if the drill is for home use only. More expensive trade aimed drills usually give you a second battery - but you'll always pay considerably more for a drill with two batteries.

My husband felt this would be a good choice of drill for a competent DIYer, or as a second, more lightweight drill for anyone in a trade. It's fine for lightweight masonry jobs, but wouldn't cope with a blue brick or lots of concrete. But for the price, and the market it appeared to be aimed at, he felt it was good value, and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drill, great screwdriver, 5 Aug 2010
Dr. Ernest J. Hammond "EJH" (France) - See all my reviews
I agonised over the choice between this and Bosch PSR 18 LI 2 Cordless Lithium Ion Drill/Driver. The fact is that most of the time I want a screwdriver and now and then a drill. Clearly the screwdriver will drill too etc, but I wanted hammer action. Anyway, I went for the Hammer Drill.

I needn't have worried. The Hammer Drill allows very precise action when used in screwdriver mode, loads of torque, and nice torque control. You won't stall this baby. What you point it at, it will drive!

The drill is good too and the hammer action does all it should. In the past I have always felt that cordless drills were a bit feeble; this one is not.

The lithium ion battery is very good. You can get NiCads cheaper, but I really would recommend the extra expenditure. I have a very nice Ryobi cordless screwdriver, now rendered almost useless by its totally floppy NiCads.

I would mention one negative. When you take your finger off the trigger, the action stops very suddenly. I guess it has a brake. This very sudden arrest does have the effect, on mine, of loosening the keyless chuck, and after a few times the bit can fall out. Don't know how general this problem is. I thought about deducting a star, but love this gadget just a little too much to do that.

>> Updated 25 March 2011 << Still love this gadget; I work it hard almost daily and it's ready for more. But the problem of the keyless chuck coming loose is still with me. I've got used to it, but can't kid myself that it's not a nuisance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing speed info relating to this drill., 2 Feb 2011
JBN (UK - South Lincs) - See all my reviews
The specification of Bosch (and many other) drills sold by Amazon frequently omits to mention an important aspect regarding the drills performance, that being its actual speed, so should anyone be wondering this is the spec that matters.

Idle speed (1st gear / 2nd gear) 0 - 400 / 1.650 rpm
Screw diameter up to 8 mm
Drill diameter in steel 13 mm
Drill diameter in wood 35 mm
Drilling dia. in masonry 15 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Ken has a new toy. A review by my hubby i.e. someone who might actually know what he's talking about (as opposed to me!), 26 Mar 2010
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions of this cordless drill were more to do with the case to be honest. Such a large plastic case for what is actually a fairly physically small drill and lots of wasted space to boot. Maybe the Bosch packaging designers need to have a rethink as it does seem to swamp the product itself and just seems a bit OTT.
The instructions seemed reasonably clear and concise. No real issues there to be honest, other than do we really need another manual for the battery charger base? Especially as the drill instructions were so concise.
The charger base was wide and supportive of the battery pack, however it seemed light and flimsy and I am unsure how robust it will prove to be. In addition it was a bit of a fiddle trying to get the battery mounted properly, there does seem to be a bit of a knack to it, although I have no doubt that practice will make perfect. On the plus side, the charging cycle wasn't excessive in duration and the LED indicator was bright and clear, giving no doubt as to how the charging cycle was progressing. I have had cordless drills that were so much easier to place onto the charger base, but you couldn't clearly see the charging display. Bit of a trade off I suppose.
The drill had a screwdriver bit already in place. It seemed to be of reasonable quality but most manufacturers provide a small selection of bits. Just supplying one was a bit (no pun intended) mean.
Ok, onto the drill itself. Visually it appeared reasonably small and compact. It feels stable in the hand and initially seemed very well put together using quality plastics, etc. Closer inspection and subsequent use caused me to rethink that in a couple of areas. The keyless chuck (or tool holder) was light to use and felt secure in operation, however, the actual material used in construction felt brittle, not overly durable and a bit cheap to be honest. Setting the torque requirement and operating mode was a doddle, but the actual material again felt cheap and a bit nasty. This was even more evident on the mechanical switch for the gear selection. Nice idea without a doubt and easy'ish to adjust, but the push/slide switch, felt flimsy and gave me concern as to how durable it would be. I didn't envisage it lasting too long if the drill/switch is to be subjected to moderate to heavy use.
The operation of the drill couldn't have been easier. It is certainly very powerful, easily adjustable, with a wide variety of torque settings, etc. The soft start is a very useful facility and worked really well. Top marks there! I also loved the work light mounted into the base of the drill, it's not just a gimmick it really did make a difference. Nice touch indeed. The battery condition indicator lights are another useful function.
In use, the drill performed very well indeed, its lightness and ergonomic design made a refreshing change, it was comfy to use, didn't weigh a ton and didn't feel clumsy at all. It performed totally without fault throughout all of the tasks demanded of it and the motor seems plenty powerful for most domestic uses.
A great drill in my opinion and I'd give it an overall 4 stars.
It would have been a genuine 5 stars if it hadn't been for the overly spacious case, a flimsy and brittle feel to the plastics used in the switches, etc and possible concerns as to how robust that gear selection switch will prove to be in particular. See beyond these issues though and you will have an excellent bit of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect ...., 13 April 2010
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a surprise; the features of what is a very small hand held drill were very good. First off it has the ability to adjust torque. Not only for screwing things in like a hand held screwdriver but it also has the adjustable feature for the main drill itself.
I had a project coming up to bolt a cabinet to a garage wall and the concrete floor. The battery lasted throughout the project and when drilling through brickwork made light work of things. However it was when I came to the concrete floor that the drill struggled. First off the hammer action was simply not robust enough to go through concrete and neither to be honest was the motor which got hot rapidly. The other feature that concerned me was the additional supporting handle. This is not fitted or screwed in like it is on my Bosch Heavy Duty drill so you can put some weight onto it, no, this is actually a collar you slip on and then tighten. To be honest I was aware of the handle bowing and although the collar only moved a little I was aware that if it broke or slipped off I'd have some very sore knuckles. Eventually after completing one bolt hole in the floor I gave the drill a rest and picked up my Bosch and set to the task again. The Bosch took around a third of the time and I did not feel at any point it was struggling. However, that said the Bosch is a mains fed monster and is built like a tank. My final conclusion was more favourable than it may appear from the review. I will probably use this drill for virtually everything from now on. After all, how often do you need to go through poured concrete? Everything else this is perfect !!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Chuck loosening problems, 29 Jun 2012
Suffered from a problem quite a few others seem to have suffered from. The chuck loosens after a couple of trigger releases and the drill/screwdriver bits then fall out. The problem is especially bad when in hammer mode. Returned and replaced with Makita instead. Other than this problem it looks nice, feels nice and has some nice features. However the chuck staying closed is pretty essential in my opinion, hence the rating. Also I imagine it would get worse over time. Its a pity because it is a nice product other than this problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have changed my mind from good to awful, 6 Dec 2012
I bought the drill 2 years and 14 days ago. At first I liked it, the only negative was that the chuck was a bit flimsy and tended to come loose because of the over-active braking action.
The drill stopped working today. I don't mean it slowed down or a bit broke off. I mean it just stopped altogether and is totally unusable. When I squeeze the trigger it just flashes the pilot light and the three battery condition lights. The manual says this indicates an under/over temp or overload cut-out. Well, this was after I took it out of the cupboard and out of the box, so neither condition can apply.
Of course, the 2-year warranty expired 14 days ago so I am left with an unusable heap of junk. As it cost around 100 this has turned out to be a very poor investment at a rate of 50 a year for a lightly used drill.
I think I'll go back to the cheap and nasty drills I used to get. They represent far better value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Design fault, 8 May 2012
I bought this drill and was very pleased with the overall build quality. However I immediately noticed the problem which is referred to by some other reviewers, namely that the keyless chuck opens when the drill is in use. There are two gear settings on the drill, one for screwdriving and a higher speed one for drilling. Both are variable by turning a collar. On the slower speed the problem does not really show itself because the brake does not give so much of a 'kick' on stopping but this is very noticeable on the higher speed and I found that having inserted a drill bit and turning the drill on and off, after about the fourth or fifth time the bit would just fall out. In actual use with a resisting load on the drill bit I can see that this would mean a loss of grip very quickly and the bit being left stuck in the wall quite often, unless I was to tighten the chuck after every action. To my mind this renders the drill worse than useless and in spite of the very good price, which I notice Amazon has further reduced to 80, it went back to the shop the next day. Good riddance! If you only want to use the lower speed gear for screwdriving, good luck to you. Everyone else should stay well clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Problem with this drill, 19 Jun 2011
I used my new drill to put up some shelves but noticed the drill bit kept falling out and I had to tighten the chuck after every hole I drilled! I wasn't sure whether i had bought a faulty drill or if there was a design fault generally, so I trawled through all the reviews to see if anyone else had the same problem. I was surprised to find only one review (Dr Ernest J Hammond 5 August 2010) where the same problem was mentioned.
I was thinking of exchanging the drill but I might just get the same problem again if it is a design fault. The cordless drill is good in every other way and I have now got used to tightening the chuck, so I am persevering with it for the time being but I wonder why only one other person has mentioned this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Drill!!! Wow!, 21 Mar 2010
jimmyreviewer1988 (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am not really an expert on drills, but I needed a Hammer drill so I thought I would give this one a shot!

It is a fantastic piece of kit, it is very well built and comes in a secure case with everything that you could need.

When you take it out of the box, charging takes just one hour, which is incredibly fast when you consider an electric toothbrush takes 16 hours and this is a lot more powerful.

I have used it a couple of times now with no problems whatsoever. It comes with 32 torque settings and has a great drilling capacity. I am very happy with it, it works perfectly and I would definitely give this item 5*.

ARRAY(0xa4b9a174)