4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting depiction of grief
Colin Firth reminds us of his extensive talent here, perfectly depicting the dichotomy of a grieving widower who must keep going for the sake of his two daughters. He is ably supported by the two young leads, at different stages in their lives, displaying their confusion, grief and alienation (both physical, having moved to a strange country, and psychological, as they...
Published on 3 Oct 2010 by Tonkfan

1.0 out of 5 stars Delightful setting, but drama disappoints
On the cover of this DVD, "Genova" is described as "an eerily effective supernatural thriller". Don't you believe it. I spent most of this film clock-watching and thinking that after 20, 30, 60 ... minutes something must be about to happen.

The film is visually delightful: in fact I would go so far as to say that the real star is the city of Genova (Genoa)...
Published on 14 Aug 2009 by hbw

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Boredom Is Only the Beginning, 27 Mar 2011
Johns (South-East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genova [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
As plenty of people have said, this is a film in which nothing happens. The director was also responsible for the indulgent Coogan/Brydon vehicle The Trip, so I suppose that should be a warning. At one point I wondered whether the director suddenly had a burst of awareness that it was just a film featuring people chatting or riding around on a scooter or walking around, so decided that one of the characters should start swearing for no reason. This lifts it from PG to 15 certificate. People have said that the scenery looks nice, but it looked a bit boring to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Genova, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: Genova [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Wasn't sure exactly what to expect from this movie. Was good in parts but there
wasn't really an ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why make it?, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: Genova [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Just finished watching this and had to see whether anyone thought anything of it.

I often enjoy slice of life films about average people doing average things as they often allow character to shine out and scripts to really develop but this film left me baffled. Non-average guy goes to a non-average destination after a devastating family trauma but although I keep reading that Colin Firth plays the role of a grief-stricken father I didn't see him play it. He may have been playing the role of a supermarket security guy for all I know as any emotions were so internalised that they didn't even register in front of the camera. An occassional "huff" when a daughter gets home late or as much as a "tut" when he trips near the edge of a precipice. Rivetting.

I can't imagine what the film synopsis must have been in order for this film to get made. If it was my money being asked for I reckon I'd be asking, "Why make it at all?" I was certainly asking myself, "Why watch it at all?"

My star goes to the actress who plays the younger daughter (actually a five star performance in itself). Perhaps the other actors forgot to watch what she was doing; they might have learned a thing or two.

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 18 Jan 2010
J. B. Hobbs "johnhobbs7" (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genova [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
The first word to spring to mind is embarrassing. There is no denying the wonderful backdrop, but what a monumental waste of time. I waited for something to happen and it never did. The description on the cover uses words like supernatural thriller, they ought to be reported to trading standards. Comparisons to Don't Look Now are misleading as there is no threat, just an upset child who may or may not be seeing a ghost. On the positive side, I was so annoyed at the wasting the evening I have written this. Come on Colin, read the script first.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Genova [DVD] [2008]
Genova [DVD] [2008] by Michael Winterbottom (DVD - 2010)