on 31 March 2010
The PlaySport is Kodak's 'upgrade' to the very successful Zi8 model.Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera - Black
There are some differences between the two units, so decide carefully what you will be making videos of before making your purchase.

The PlaySport is missing the macro function on the lense that can be found on the Zi8, basically, this allowed you to focus clearly on close up objects. Also missing is the 3.5mm stereo mic input. This was very usful if you were micing up an instrument and recording interviews. It also meant that you could stand as far away from the camera as your microphone cable would allow.

However, the PlaySport has some improvements and features that trump the Zi8.
In my opinion the video quality is better, capturing video in low light situations is improved, the brightness of the lcd screen is adjustable, it works underwater, its smaller and fits better in your hand than the Zi8.
The Playsports lense is wider than the Zi8's, meaning you can fit more in the frame.

To sum things up. If you are looking to do video blogging, music recordings, interviews and anything a bit more professional, then buy the Kodak Zi8. If you're looking for something a little more rugged, a camera you'd not think twice about letting the kids use, a video camera to take on holiday or just something to carry around with you to whip out when you spot something worth recording, then the PlaySport should be your weapon of choice.
66 comments| 377 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2010
I bought this camera mainly because my daughter was going to Mexico on holiday and said that she hoped to swim with sharks and dolphins. I have used video cameras on an amateur basis for years but have never progressed to HD. Although she is not the best of photographers ('hosepiping' the camera all over the place) I can only say the results really are stunning. The brilliant underwater video shots of the brightly coloured fish are extremely good when viewed on my HD TV, the sound of local singers and guitarists etc. is excellent and the quality of the many still shots (too many) is exceptional. Some of the stills showing the colour of the sea and the sand are literally worth framing.The editing facilities which install when you first connect to a PC are adequate although basic. The only regret I have is that I bought the camera for my daughter: I want it for ME now.
I cannot speak too highly of this excellent video (and still) camera, especially considering the price on Amazon.
Bill
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2010
Excellent value for money, i find it great for just picking it up and filming my kids playing.

Picture quality superb at 720p 60fps

Battery life not brilliant, long videos 20+ mins and half flat, and it gets hot

Would recommend none the less
I have not owned this long but it is a mighty impressive package so far. It is a little short of perfect, but is definitely worth the price tag.

The positives:
- Although not heavy, it has a solid feel and the rubberized surface makes for a sure grip in the wet
- It is smaller than you expect. Genuinely pocket-sized
- The software is easy to use and simple to set up. They have put some thought into the balance between simplicity and functionality
- It happily runs in HD, although is better at 720p than full HD 1080p
- Most importantly, it is a full underwater camera, with a blue filter mode to balance the colours underwater

The negatives:
- Although it takes still pictures, and in good quality, you have to navigate throught he menu to do it. Simple point and snap would have been better
- 1080p quality is not so good. But at 720p and 60fps it is great. If full HD matters to you, then you need a better and much more expensive camcorder
- Low-light quality is poor, it struggles with balance
- The battery is not removable, so no fast swapping with a spare battery
- The front of the device is white, irrespective of the model colour. I'd prefer a single colour both sides

The negatives highlight an important point - this is a pocket-sized, easy-to-use, waterproof camcorder. It isn't intended to be everything to everyone, just a highly practical cam for the active outdoors.

As a robust first camcorder it is great. For many people it will be a second camcorder which can take the shocks, and the water, of outdoor family fun.

The pricing is very well pitched - while it does have some negatives in HD and low-light, it is a great pocket camcorder for the money, and will be your first-choice device on a daily basis.

Four stars - but much nearer to five than three!
on 4 June 2010
My husband purchased this product to take on holiday with us this year as a solution to always wanting to take both pictures and video but never wanting to carry two cameras around.

I have to admit I thought it was just an excuse to get another gadget and it would be a 'Jack of all but master of none'.....how wrong could I be!

Stunning video, fantastic still images and add to that it is waterproof.....

I will leave the techy stuff to others to comment on but for me the title says it all - simply brilliant!
on 22 May 2010
I checked this camera out on the tinterweb before buying, wanting a camera to use when on holiday - to film the big kid in me going down water slides and the like.
It didn't let me down.
The still photo quality isn't it's main selling point yet the quality of the pictures it takes is excellent!
As for the video footage, it's simply incredible. OK, it's not professional but at that price you can't go wrong, it had no problem going down water slides and landing in the pool at all, the underwater clarity is great, the facial recognition function is great and although the zoom isn't the biggest zoom it provides an awesome picture at full zoom.
It's incredibly simple to use and although some reviews I read said that the software doens't like the latest windows version I have had no issues with it what so ever. Buy with confidence.
Why are you still reading this? hit the "buy" button!!
on 27 April 2010
Kodak Playsport Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera (Abyss - Black)

It is certainly the best 129.00 GBP I have ever invested in a camera.

Having read the literature and spent many hours looking through reviews on youtube I became very interested in what the camera could offer.

Well on opening the box you are amazed by the actual size of the unit... there is nothing on the internet that actually comes close to the real thing. It is no bigger than a typical mobile phone.... it is fairly light with enough weight to feel solid in your hand.

The quality of the handset is outstanding. The chassis is solid. The casing is made of durable solid plastics. Nothing creaks or bends as you hold it. The buttons all seem precise and the screen is bright and clear. There were a number of comments/concerns on the internet about the size of the screen being smaller than say the Zi8. The size of the screen is more than enough for what you will need.

The functionality of the camera is so easy. I almost question why they put an instruction manual in the box. Within a couple of minutes of switching the unit on you will be fully up and running. Recording is a one click operation and playback and delete are only another few clicks away. The sound playback on the unit is excellent with the option to switch off the audio.

We have tested the waterproof function of the camera. The underwater filming is crisp even without the option of the H2O button.

A 16gb SDHC Class 4 Card gives you the following record times
Hrs Mins
1080p 3:02
720p 60fps 3:02
720p 30fps 4:24
WVGA 7:00

I have uploaded a number of recordings to `Youtube' and the family have been impressed. Its so easy. The software that is included is fine.... obviously if you fancy yourself as a bit of a James Cameron then you may want to invest in something that's a bit more for the non-amateur

There is no flash and there is no macro so if that is essential then this is not the camera for you.

However if you want something that can be put in the car, chucked in a handbag or taken to the beach and will give you a great picture then the Kodak Playsport is for you.
The 5mp camera is just a bonus in my mind!

Seriously 129.00 GBP for the flexibility and quality of this camera is awesome......
on 5 April 2010
This is a great pocket camera although editing/rendering the Apple .MOV files is not easy. The ARCSOFT software supplied does not work properly on Windows 7 and there seems to be little or no support from Arcsoft. If this is an example of Arcsofts software then I should steer well clear of it. Its a shame that such a good piece of kit is let down by the software. Kodak should have used a capture format other than Apple Quick Time and a software supplier other than Arcsoft. The camera is worthy of 5 stars but gets 3 because the supplied software is not worthy of any.
1515 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Purchased this as I wanted a camera that would give me more fun with my boys who love swimming in the pool and beach when on holiday, all my pool shots tend to be from the side of the pool with the boys looking up, I wanted something that would give me more options and this seemed to be the perfect one.

First the price was very good, I checked around and Amazon were much cheaper.

I purchased the orange model which looks great, white front orange back. It does come in a range of colour options Kodak Playsport Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera - Wave Crash -Blue Kodak Playsport Waterproof HD Pocket Video Camera (Abyss - Black)

I have a Toshiba Camileo S20 Toshiba Camileo S20 Full HD 1080p Camcorder UK version - Black HD camera which is fine but not the sturdiest.
The Kodak in compassion is superb, I really like it, the build is ideal, the screen is fixed which will stop my knocking it which I have already done to the Toshiba.

Picture is spot on, you can select up to 1080p but need to select 720p for play back on youtube or your PC again pictures is very good. It comes with leads for connecting to HDMI on your TV and also USB for the OC. You also have a 5Mp camera which is better that the 5Mp makes you think, It's as good as my Sony Digital camera which is 7.2Mp.

I do like it's easy of use, I trade in Electronics and very little makes me reach for the user guide, I found the Kodak very straight forward and didn't need to look at the user manual, unlike the Toshiba which has a poor menu system.

Only negative is the inbuilt memory is as good as zero so you need to buy a SCHC card, no point buying without, the inbuilt memory gave 7 pictures or 10 seconds of film.

The camera has built in software which installed on my Windows Vista PC fine, the software looks very good, allows you easy upload to youtube, twitter etc.

I am very pleased with the camera and look forward to getting in wet under water, a recommended water proof HD camcorder with 5Mp camera.
review image
on 16 March 2010
this is a great Camcorder.

i have had one for a while now and after a lot of tests i can easliy say that this is the best. i have the kodak Zi8 and that is a good camcorder but the Playsport is a huge improvement on the Zi8.

the pitures are clearer. the video quality is better and you can take this underwater for all those holiday shots.

it has the same settings as the Zi8 but with a few more thrown in.

there is the H2O setting for improved underwater video and a glare setting so you can see what your recording in most kinds of lighting. also they have improved the zoom.

you can record in the following settings:

wvga
720p 30fps
720p 60fps
1080p 30fps

there is also the option to take 5 megapixel pitures. the pictures are very good for this kind of camcorder.

you can store it all on a sdhc card. which means you can have as many cards as you like and never stop recording. well as long as your batterys last. which can be changed. you can also charge it and record at the same time.

i am really enjoying having this camcorder and i would recommend it to any one who is thinking of getting one.