5.0 out of 5 stars A life enhancing book, 30 Mar 2013
Mr. P. Skeldon (sohar, oman) - See all my reviews
This would be a strong candidate for my desert island book. It is a remarkable story about a remarkable man and his remarkable wife, and their attempts to overcome his aphasia following a stroke. It has a lot of fascinating information about language and the brain, and how the couple coped with the loss of language. Mrs Hale is touchingly honest in her account, admitting sometimes to her frustration with her husband shouting at him for not being able to understand the simplest things. It is a very touching love story in the end. Although he dies without making any real recovery, the courage of both husband and wife shine throughout the book. The story engages us so much that my wife and I still refer to him as John, as if somehow he was a friend. I can't recommend this book strongly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read, 19 Dec 2009
I bought this book because my brother had a stroke last summer and now suffers from aphasia plus many other difficulties resulting from the stroke. However aphasia is the most disabling of them all- he cannot speak, read or write. This book was written out of love for her husband but also anger. She is very angry that such a thing could have happened to her husband. I admire her because she tried so hard to find the solution to curing her husband's aphasia, but never did and it probably won't be curable in her lifetime. I confess I never completed the book because I found it hard going on more than one level, but I do intend to, when I have the time and strength.