5.0 out of 5 stars ...!
I'm left speechless.
Well, not quite. I've been listening to Heavy Metal since I was 4 years old, my sister gave me a Diamond Head LP and I started getting deeper and deeper into the hole. The first album I bought was a 7" 'Haunting The Chapel' by Slayer and since then I was converted. I am nearly 19 now, which means that I have been listening to Heavy Metal for...
Published on 28 Jan. 2003 by Marc

3.0 out of 5 stars High Speed Sonic Assault
Published on 10 Jan. 2009 by Fergal Woods

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best power metal bands of the new century so far., 3 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
To tell the truth I didn't know nothing about this band until recently. As I was shifting through all the metal and rock records being produced at the moment I was struck with this title. After listening to a few tracks ("Valley of the Damned" was just one of the tracks) I instantly recognised that there was something different about this band. Their combination of fast and furious power chords with lyrics with a difference set them apart from the rest of bands in this genre at present.
Though saying this the fact that most of their songs are very similar and there is little variation among them is a bit of a downer. But, if you like the idea of fast British rock music then this is definitely for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential buy for all lovers of metal! I mean it!, 27 Jan. 2003
Quorthon (Faversham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
Lets look at the facts :-
1 intro, 8 songs, 41 SOLOS!
The singer is called "ZP" !
One of the band has hair down to his knees!
Tons of double bass drumming!
Phew! this album is an amazing debut. It is well produced and played with heartfelt conviction. The songs are varied, but with a core of speedy guitars and pummelling drumwork. Lasting around 5.30 to 7 minutes each there is plenty to get your teeth into. Keyboards are sensibly used to add a glossy top coat to the crunch. The singer is mid-to-high pitched, but thankfully never strays into painful screeching, so the bats in your neighbourhood won't be disturbed! (although you neighbours will be!) Even the solitary ballad is pretty good - and it's not about someone's girlfriend leaving them (thank god). This album severely rains on Primal Fears parade! In fact, there doesn't seem to be any point taking it out of the CD player - everything else sounds a bit dull in comparison.
I sincerely believe that anyone who loves metal should by this album. The longer you delay, the sillier you will feel for waiting when you finally succumb to temptation.

3.0 out of 5 stars High Speed Sonic Assault, 10 Jan. 2009
Fergal Woods "Axe Victim" (Leitrim, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
This is the first album release by the British Speed-Metal outfit and hints at better things to come but fails to impress in it's own right. Musical ability is staggering especially in the guitar and drumming departments but a lot of the music appears to be speed for speed's sake. Unusually for a metal band these guys actually write real choruses (as opposed to repeations of catch phrases or song titles). This is one of their most attractive features.

I've also got the "Inhuman Rampage" and "Sonic Firestorm" cds and for purposes of comparison both albums are a big improvement on this one in a number of areas - namely better balanced production (both the sound of the vocalist, and his more immediate presence are noticeably better on these later offerings) and stronger choruses.

Overall I would much prefer some variety i.e. flat-out all the time loses a lot of impact, guitar solos are so fast that they are blurred and verses are often just monotones leading up to the "Big Chorus"! The powerhouse drumming at breakneck tempos tends to drown out some of the music and vocals, and lyrics are laughable at times. "Bubble-gum Heavy Metal" keeps coming to mind but it's all good escapist fun. Not sure if it's the same category but Kamelot are infinitely more interesting than Dragonforce, and for melodic metal with dynamics Threshold are streets ahead of them also.The above mentioned "Inhuman Rampage" is the one to go for if you do want to sample rock played at the maximum speed and "Valley of the Damned" does not count as a compulsory purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Force To Be Reconed With, 27 Mar. 2003
Mr. A. Clement "alzmail" (Milton Keynes/UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valley of the Damned (Audio CD)
I was pleasently surprised by this album,there are indeed quite a few power metal bands around at the moment but this band does indeed stand out from most.It is a tightly produced album and my only complaint is the solo's get a little lost in the mix.
But what we do have is 8outstanding songs,very energetic,well written and exceptionally well played.If i were to compare them with the current scene i would say they sounded like early Helloween,early Blind Guardian but with better production.More like the production of the latter Gamma Ray albums.
Valley of the damned is the first real song on the cd and it really sets the pace of the rollercoaster ride this provides.The guitar work on this cd is outstanding.Most of the songs are written by Sam Totman and he really has head screwed on,but i fear he may be obscured slightly by Herman Li's amazing solo's.They both have a really tight sound and the guitars solo's exchange with great fluidity and is a real joy to listen to.If you are a lover of guitar solo's and guitar harmonies then you will enjoy this thoroughly.
Black Fire is next up and the pace just keeps charging on and the early similarities i mentioned do stand out.Dragonforce certainly are a band to look out for,this is a brilliant debut album and leaves you hungry for more of the same.
With other tracks such as Black winter Nights and disciples of Babylon and the awesome Heart Of A Dragon we can forgive them for the dodgy ballad Starfire and i mean dodgy!!!
So definately an essential power metal to add to the collection and maybe give some of the older bands a good run for their money,i cant wait to see what there next album will hold for us.
Amazingly enough they are also a british band which is a rareity in power metal,but along with Conspiracy and Seraphidian they are one of the top british bands on the scene currently,what more can i say buy it and love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lightning ride through British power Metal., 24 April 2003
"allikat256" (Trucking in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valley of the Damned (Audio CD)
From the first chord, to the last lingering echoes, this album is like a rollercoaster. The speed and dexterity of the Lead Guitarist, Herman 'Shred' Li, astounds. From the lyrical work in the ballad 'Starfire' is in complete contrast with the almost inhumanly fast riffs in much of the rest of the album.
British power metal at its' best. The lyrics are poetic in places, and sung with passion. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect debut album., 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
This is just a quick review as I listen to this album again. It really is excellent. You can't ask any more of a debut power metal album. I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, but this album is their finest work in my opinion (though, in fairness, I only own the first three albums). The consistency on display here is outrageous; some people say that all their songs sound the same, and while I would concur on some of their later albums, regarding this album I disagree.

All the songs on this album have their own distinct flavour, mostly based on outrageously paced riffing, catchy but sometimes cheesy vocal hooks and a bombastic, non-stop rhythm section. Personal favourites are the title track, Revelations is fantastic, Disciples of Babylon has always been a firm favourite and probably Starfire. However, tracks 1-8 are immense and I would never skip any. The only letdown is the final track, which I'd probably rather be without. Once it gets going it isn't bad, but the intro is so cheesy that it is a real turn-off and often has me ending the album after the penultimate track!

All told, this is a cracking album and I return to this far more frequently than I do Inhuman Rampage or Sonic Firestorm. As for their later albums I simply cannot judge, but this is a genre classic as far as I am concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shock and Awe, 31 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
I cannot recommend this album highly enough if you are into your hard rock If you are concerned about what is fashionable, current and hip and 'whether my friends would like it', you should probably steer clear.

Dragonforce use a musical genre popular in the early eighties and contrary to many reviews; do build upon it - make it better! Add to that the total lack of inhibition in performing the often mocked Dungeons and Dragons/World of Warcraft song themes then just go OTT with the musical accompaniment. Although using the term OTT does imply an excess for excesses sake and that is certainly not the case. Many thrash bands (which Dragonforce are not) are guilty of just playing loud and fast - but poorly; Dragonforce are loud fast and accurate every note can be heard, if only my brain could keep up.

It is so easy to ridicule this sort of music; yet that is just a superficial observation. Take the time and you will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FIRST METAL BAND I EVER GOT INTO AND LOVE 'EM!!!!, 7 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
This was the last album i bought of Dragonforce (the first being Inhuman Rampage) this is dragonforce's best album it's totally different to their other albums it's breathtaking not a bad track on it even the ballad Starfire is amazing. ZP's vocals are brilliant he sings really fast but you can understand him. Everything is so fast on this album i'm surprised they didnt die after this. One thing though the lyrics are quite cheesy but i dont mind too much as everything just rules on this album. The first time i heard this band i was obsessed with them for ages dragonforce was the only thing i listen everyone thought i was really weird for that but soon i realised i needed to broaden my music taste. If you have bought Inhuman Rampage and i hated the band after listening to that buy this album trust me it's so much better & different then Inhuman Rampage. I can't wait for their new albuma nd to see dragonforce in cork it's gonna rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, 8 Feb. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Valley Of The Damned (Audio CD)
This band are amazing! The vocals are turely moving and ZP Theart suits the band amazingly. Herman Lee and Sam are jaw dropplingly brilliant guitar players, and thier solos are fantastic.
DragonForce are easily the best Uk powermetal band around at the moment. This is a must have CD, they are truely legendary!

5.0 out of 5 stars HEMAN RAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 Jun. 2004
J. Deacon (PLopper from plopperville) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Valley of the Damned (Audio CD)
This band encapsulates all that is good about Powermetal (or Heman rawk as I like to call it :D) If you look up the word "arrangemnets" then this band should be there next to it. I really can't find a flaw in this album. I've been a 'Maiden fan since I was like 5 and I've always thought there was something missing from it and I think I've found it in this band. As with every band I like, the singer has a unique voice and although his voice may seem a bit 'yelpy' first time through, on the second listening it all fits into place and comes out beautifully.
It's a shame that a band like this will probably never become well known, though that may be a good thing when you see what happened to Metallica!!! Unfortunately this album makes me feel sad as it is truly the ultimate style of music for me and bands like these are fairly rare... kinda wish i could relive the '80s but, oh well :(
In summary: ITS THE DOGS B0LL0CK$

Valley Of The Damned
Valley Of The Damned by Dragonforce (Audio CD - 2010)