Format: DVD|Change

on 20 September 2010
I saw this in the cinema after watching the English version days before and this is a word for wor exact copy almost, just with a few mroe racial stereotypes. Personally I prefered the english one, I felt the characters seemed for real and for me this made the plot mroe real. Death at a funeral (American) isn;t really a bad film but I think alot more could have been done with thier higher budget over the English film. All in all I recomend buying the english version.

Death At A Funeral [DVD] [2007]
on 20 December 2014
Enjoyable comedy with laughs from start to finish! You know it's going to be one of those days... especially when the wrong coffin arrives at your home! Chris Rock who brilliantly plays the eldest son Aaron, who does a great job of keeping the funeral ceremony proceedings going whilst everything around him is going wrong. Martin Lawrence plays the younger brother Ryan, loved by all because of his writing talents, charm and wit, yet who stills finds himself broke!

The fun starts when Frank, played by Peter Dinklage enters the scene and tries to hold the two brother's ransom. Will they manage to eliminate the problem or will all go wrong until till the very end?

A fun and watchable film with a great supporting cast, including James Marsden, Zoe Saldana and Kevin Hart.
on 4 July 2011
Not what I expected. I have the original English version which is much funnier and has a certain sophisticated humour. For some reason I feel like this version was rushed through. The whole cast tried their best but the script was not meant for the American audience.
on 22 August 2012
I must admit, I only bought this film because James Marsden was in it, but I have to say it did make me laugh. It wasnt the belly laugh kind of funny but I smiled most of the way through it. Its enjoyable. Its great acting all round, its got a story and its filmed well. One part did make me gag a bit but its a night in, easy watch movie.
on 14 March 2014
This film is so funny, really cheers you up. Chris Rock is funny as ever and the plot is very good. All the actors are great, no weak links. Love watching this film; can watch it over and over. Never gets boring. Definitely recommend this if you like a good comedy.
on 13 October 2010
I didn't hold out much hope for Death at a Funeral when I first started watching. I was afraid of it becoming another one of those films that relied too heavily on racial jokes and dialogue that consisted of "brother" and Chris Rock's screechy voice. However, I was pleasantly surprised. This film turned out to have as much heart and soul as the original, with plenty of new content to seem fresh. Marsden, who I had lost faith in since watching The Box, put in a career best in this film, and started the ball rolling for a great comedy.

Martin Lawrence, as per recent performances, seems to have become more and more boring, and as such, I felt wasn't a valid character for this film. Tracey Morgan seems to be the up and coming black comedian of late, and he added a great touch to the film. Personally, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys their comedies - it doesn't take itself seriously at all, and encourages the viewers to sit back and have a laugh at life's little jokes.
on 6 October 2013
Yes, the humor at times was sophomoric. I have not seen the original version, so I can't compare the two. The movie has little in the way of plot, just people at a funeral addressing odd issues as they arise. Chris Rock places the "straight man" and is our voice of reason.

Martin Lawrence, plays his brother, who is a published author. He pretends to have a lot of money, but is broke. He spends his time at the funeral attempting to pick up the hot 18 year old neighbor girl. He asks her to NYC and says, "I got all kinds of snacks. Like Sugar Daddies?" Chris' mother laments about not having any grandchildren in front of Chris' spouse who wants sex every day. During the funeral she says, "We got 5 minutes, I'm not wearing any panties."

Danny Glover plays the curmudgeon uncle in a wheel chair. In one scene he proclaims, " I know a dead man when I see one. I live in a retirement home." The cousin has a white male boyfriend who is high, but not his fault. She tells her dad he is on Valium. Dad replies, "Your mother was on Valium for 30 years and she never knocked over a coffin." Meanwhile, her ex-boyfriend is also at the funeral and is trying to rekindle their romance. He laments, "I've only been sleeping 8 hours at a night. I am at my wit's end."

If you enjoy that type of humor, plus a little slap stick, you will enjoy this somewhat low-brow production as much as I did.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2012
A friend of mine told me to watch Death at a Funeral. He meant the English version, but I watched the American version. I like the characters and the momentum was sustained very effectively. Lots of surprises, many of which are ingenious and funny.

Later I watched the English version, but I think this one is better. It's been translated rather beautifully.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 November 2010
With a lead pairing of Chris Rock & Martin Lawrence i was expecting Death at a Funeral to be hilarious & funny. Not to mention the great support cast looking very good too, with the likes of Keith David, Danny Glover, Luke Wilson, James Marsden, Tracy Morgan & the sexy Zoe Saldana. Yet it just ended up being slightly funny in places and overall disappointing IMO. Chris Rock was great playing it as deadpan as he could, but there was just nobody playing off him to make the laughs count. Martin Lawrence was very reserved & underused compared to his usual comedy roles, while Tracy Morgan, after seeing him crash & burn in Cop Out alongside Bruce Willis, i wanted this to be a chance to redeem himself, but yet again just proved more to me the fact that he just isn't that funny without Danny Glover's feces on him, no matter how much he rambles on & screws his face up.

The story itself simply revolves around a funeral service of Chris Rocks & Martin Lawrence's father, set at the home for a coming together of the family to grieve. It is is quite funny in places, with Peter Dinklage blackmailing Rock & Lawrence, although for the majority of the film it feels like it relies on James Marsden playing high, having been given what was thought to be a Valium, which turned out to be Acid. He plays the part superbly, but that gets old, quite quickly, unless your easily amused. I am really disappointed overall with this film & i expected so much more from the premise & cast. One to miss unless your a fan of Chris Rock. Worth a watch.
on 4 August 2015
I saw part of this on TV and liked it so much I brought it. It is very funny and has a talented cast. There are some are big surprises - like James Marsden, a former male model, has great comic timing and lacks self consciousness in this slapstick comedy. He plays the shy fiance of the beautiful Zoe Saldana in this romp, and is accidentally given tablets that make him so high he drops all of his inhibitions - at the funeral of his fiance's uncle. Zoe is also funny and provides angst and deeper moments. Chris Rock is very understated in this comedy as the son of the deceased whom everyone thinks of as a failure, but is the glue that binds the family together. He does so through trying to do the right thing for his father at the funeral, but it all falls apart as his father's secret life pays he and his older brother a visit in the form of Peter Dinklage (Tyrion of Game of Thrones) who steals the show with a comic genius that had me laughing out loud. Various shady characters and a mother-in-law situation that is exaggerated but all too recogniable to many wives/partners also add their humour to the funeral which is very, very entertaining. I haven't laughed so much in ages. Talented cast, talented writing.