5.0 out of 5 stars Great Netbook
Nice little netbook. I also have the N210 and there are a few differences:
N220, 2.1 speakers, the sound is defintely better than 210 with the extra mini woofer on the bass. Doesnt sound tinny.
N220, slightly different styling to the N210, hexagon pattern on the lid and a chrome rim.
N220, dark glossy lid is a fingerprint grease magnet.

As for...
Published on 27 Feb 2010 by Bobbo Bear

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine shame about the wifi
I bought the Green version. It is much darker than in the picture. It is mro elike black and you can only see the colour when you view it from an angle.
Good points:
Very solid build
Very nice size. eaily carried in one hand and feels comfortable. Will also easily fit into most hand bags.
Nice looking.
Excellent sound.
Supports blue tooth (a...
Published on 6 July 2010 by James Dell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Netbook, 27 Feb 2010
This review is from: Samsung N220 10.1-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N450 1.66 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 6 Cell Battery, up to 11.2 Hours, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter, Red/Black) (Electronics)
Nice little netbook. I also have the N210 and there are a few differences:
N220, dark glossy lid is a fingerprint grease magnet.

As for the N200 series, key points:
Good Keyboard
Fantastic chiclet keyboard. I love it, nice and clicky tactile response and zero flex. Feels very solid, probably the best laptop keyboard I have ever used. Feels better than the keyboard on my MacBook Pro. Only criticism I have for the UK version is the shortened right hand shift key, I end up hitting the \ key a lot. Good touchpad too, with multitouch.

Battery life
Not quite the 12 hours promised but from light internet surfing at 1-3 bars screen brightness it's quite easy to manage 7-8 hours wifi on. Incredible. If you use the netbook at minimal brightness without wifi, it can easily go 9 hours or more.

Nice design
Stylish acrylic shell with textured pattern underneath, personally I prefer the white N210 as fingerprints dont show on the lid as easily.

Bloatware
On starting up the netbook for the first time it installs a ton of useless software and bloatware which takes ages. Then I have to remove it all which also takes ages. The instant on hyperspace feature is useless and is just a basic os and web browser, no skype or other programs we might use on a netbook. Booting into win7 is really quick anyway. I advise removing the bloatware McAfee antivirus, hyperspace, MS office trial and all the game demos. Also, comes with failsafe which has one of the most annoying installers and insists on popups every time you start up the PC, so you have to install it to stop these darn popups coming up. Anyway, with a bit of time and patience you can get rid of all this junk and make Win 7 lean and efficient.

Win7 Starter
Or Win7 Lite as I like to call it, a lot of people dont like it but i think it does the job fine. Don't need DVD playback on a netbook which doesnt have a DVD drive. Can live without Aero on this. Dont need media centre either, my media pc does a better job of that. Yes the wallpaper is changeable with some free third party wallpaper changers. Otherwise, win7 lite is fast, smooth and stable. The win7 Home premium anytime upgrade is unneccesary IMHO and not worth the 50 MS are asking for it. Save your money and get RAM instead....

So, DO get a 2gb RAM upgrade, the difference is immediately noticeable. Programs load and switch faster and more smoothly. I did not enjoy using this with the standard 1GB.

Noise
Virtually silent. The fan is hard to hear even in a silent room.

Screen
Clear, very bright, very energy efficient and doesnt eat up tons of battery even on full brightness. Resolution is so so, at only 600px vertical resolution there is a lot of scrolling to do, but its fine for basic internet usage.

CPU power
Even runs photoshop at an acceptable speed. This isn't an HD video media machine however, get a proper laptop if thats important.

Summary
This is my first netbook, and it has fulfilled my primary needs for long battery life and good useability for internet surfing on the move. It is also very light to carry around compared to a standard laptop and doesnt weigh you down. Win7 does the job and lets me run firefox, a few productivity applications and will play ripped music and movies without any problems. Keyboard is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung N220 Red/Black, 17 Jun 2010
I bought this laptop couple of days ago. Not from Amazon unfortunately as thy have cancelled the order saying they have run out of the. Luckly I got it even cheaper so Amazon has lost a client for it.
Anyway lets concentrate on laptop itself.

Straight from the box it looks so good. It¡s actually much darker than on the picture - more like dark red wine colour. To be honest looks much better than on the picture.

I haven¡t checked how it works on 1GB of RAM as I had fitted 2GB before I turned it on for the first time knowing that 1GB won¡t be enough. I am right as it¡s working fairly ok on 2Gb but not spectacularly fast (I have high spec desktop with 4GB DDR3 RAM so I am a bit spoiled haha) but fast enough to satisfy and to run many applications the same time. I have checked with 5 and 7 running the same time (there was a limitation on Win7 up to 3 apps running the same time but not anymore) and all worked fine.

And I will answer question I have seen before regarding Win7 starter. No, you cannot change the background in this version of Win. But¡K you can download several apps to help you doing it. I do not care about Win Media Centre which is not installed as it is a netbook not a desktop so it serves different purposes.

You are able to get online without starting Win and I have seen in many reviews that it is useless as Win 7 boots very quickly. People! This is not made to make it quicker! This is made to make it safer when you are sitting in coffee shop and using unsecured WiFi network. You can browse and email with confidence. Nobody can get to your stuff on a computer if you are not using windows. Simply as that. Very good idea. I love it.

Screen looks very good. Nicely visible from different angles. Resolution is high and quality of picture for netbook is more than I have expected.

Keyboard. I have found different opinions regarding this keyboard but I must admit that even if that is not the nicest looking keyboard it is extremely good for typing as spaces between letters help you not to make many typing mistakes. Big plus.

I have just briefly checked the webcam. It¡s ok, not fantastic one but if you are picky please get yourself Logitech Pro 9000 and you will be happy ;)

And I have left the most important for the end. Battery life. Samsung N220 is one of the best at the moment. I have bought this model mostly because of long battery life. I have tested and managed to achieve 7hours 55mins while on WiFi and watching lots of youtube and stunning 10hours 20mins while off net. Great result.

Trust all of these will help.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine shame about the wifi, 6 July 2010
James Dell (UK) - See all my reviews
Good points:
Very solid build
Nice looking.
Excellent sound.
Supports blue tooth (a good bonus).
The keyboard is very good.
Excellent screen.
Battery life is excellent. Over 7 hours for an average user
The Linux based hyperspace. What a great idea. secure quick and easy access to the most common apps.

Bad points.
Windows 7 - not very impressed. Lacks in functionality and seems very slow. I wish I had gone for XP. I did however expect it to be slow with is being such a bloated Op Sys. But I also expected this to be compensated for by the Phoenix Hyperspace but:
Hyperspace does not support wifi using WPA-PSK despite it being an available option.
Hyperspace has been bought by HP. The support is non existent. Is there a fix to the wifi issue? Who knows, they never reply.
1GB RAM is not enough. Win 7 boots and runs slow. I have ordered a 2gb RAM and will report any increase in performance later.
I have not reduced the stars for the lack of memmory as 30 sees a 2GB card installed and most over laptops are under spec'd too.

Unfortunately the single issue (wifi support) in hyperspace instant on mode is a massive issue for me. I bought this as a travelling communications device and with most hot spots moving over to the better encryption the lack of support is a major issue. For that I reduce from 5 stars to 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly good little netbook, 10 Jun 2010
Very happy with my little N220, excepting it's limitations. Have been waiting for Samsung to release an ION 2 netbook with 1366x768 resolution and ideally an OLED screen, but got fed up and bought this as a cheap stop-gap for travels, and glad I did.

The red/black case looks great, regardless of fingerprints (can wipe off). It's very light and compact (very easy to travel with), and truly has amazing battery life. This model indeed comes with the Broadcom HD decoder chip installed, and is quite happy playing HD movies despite it's otherwise diminutive size and specs - result!! Among the Samsung software pre-installed (on setup) is a resolution switcher, allowing you to quickly switch between native 1024x600 and 1024x768, which is actually incredibly useful for those apps that require the higher resolution as a minimum. While the higher resolution is obviously slightly distorted, it is still very useable.

The setup process did take a while - part of the OEM deal means that you spend the first hour or two cycling through enforced software installs, so be prepared not to be up and running right from the off. I then spent the next few hours uninstalling or disabling most of these (i.e. MS Office, McAffee) and installing open source or free versions. Talking of software, this little machine seems quite happy running most apps (Open Office, Gimp), and usability is probably going to be hampered more by the screen resolution.

Some have mentioned the Samsung Hyperspace OS, so here's my opinion. The boot-up time difference against Windows was minimal, making it unattractive to use Hyperspace at all. If I wanted to use a quick and lightweight Linux OS on here, I would dual-boot Xubuntu or similar. Hyperspace even seemed to require a reserve of RAM when waiting in the wings under Windows, so I disabled it in the end, as RAM is precious. Well done to Samsung for attempting to promote use of a Linux OS, but this is maybe not the best way...?

I did an upgrade to 2GB RAM (Crucial) and Windows 7 Home Premium, as while adding fairly significantly to cost, maximises the potential of this machine.
WARNING: Amazon seems to offer a bundle of the netbook along with 2GB 667MHz RAM and a neoprene sleeve; fair enough, but please note that the box already includes a Samsung neoprene sleeve (quite acceptable), and the netbook is capable of taking 800MHz RAM (similar price but faster).

The number of ports seem quite adequate, and while there is no HDMI you have VGA and audio out instead, and the netbook's USB can be used for charging other devices (i.e. mobile phone) when not on the mains. There also appears to be a slot within the battery compartment for fitting a 3G card, although I could find no further information on this. I haven't subjected the in-built speakers to much of a test yet, but what I've heard sounds pretty good, and was happy to select 2.1 speakers when configuring audio.

Conclusion: Good value little powerhouse, expectedly slightly hampered only by processing power and screen resolution. Great screen and battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 1 July 2010
I was shopping around for a netbook for a while, it was always going to be a samsung coz I've herd nothing but good things about them, I picked the N220 as it had a bigger hard drive, graphic card and processor then the N140 and I'm very happy with it. It looks and feels great very easy to use. the only draw back is the windows 7 starter, there is many obviously restrictions with it compared to the full version but if you can get over not bring able to change the desktop background it's an awsome bit of kit, but you'll have this problem with every netbook that supports windows 7 starter. However there is a way round this, all you need to do is download "Oceanis change background" it's free and does the trick beautifully, easily deserves 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung n220, 12 weeks on, 8 Aug 2010
I've had this machine for some three months now. All the good things are true. But as the novelty wears off, some negatives.

(1) Battery life. It gets less. The most I get now is about seven hours - it was over eleven hours to start with. Thats from say 30 to 40 cycles of charge/discharge. So you can expect to have to replace the battery after a year, at this rate. The cheapest I've seen one listed is 60GBP on e*ay, from hongkong. No doubt direct from samsung here would be much more.

(2) I did one of the recommended pop-up downloads of updates from samsung. This installed a new intel video driver. The screen brightness control then went phut, I was stuck with max brightness so about 2 hours battery life. It took a load of web searching to find the answer, on the handy website sammynetbook dot com, that the driver is buggy. No notice of this on the samsung website, no popup to tell me to uninstall it. That is _bad_ afterservice, and does not bode well for future support.

(3) Video playback. I dont know if its a driver problem or a hardware problem, and so far I'm not sufficiently motivated to find out, but videos and i-player downloads dont run properly, and youtube doesnt work. They stutter and stick. So using this to watch dvds is not possible. Perhaps someone has an answer, please post if so.

(4) Its not the fastest machine ever. Loading any program is much slower than using my desktop machine. I can bear that now I'm used to it. Also boot-up takes about five minutes. Again I know I can fix this by taking off the bloatware, but so far I just make a cup of tea instead.

But yes, nearly five stars, it goes in my bag to go to work so I can read my own emails and is good for Office and some photoshop work, though I wouldnt want to do a lot of editing on it.

BTW I posted a version of this review before but it never appeared. Does amazon censor reviews without notice? Is this controversial?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Netbook, such a shame it comes with vast amounts of unecessary software, 28 May 2010
MacGyver (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is a great piece of kit, and once you upgrade the RAM to 2GB and take off all the unnecessary software it really is very very very good. It's just such a shame I had to spend nearly 4 hours (and I am a proper geek) removing all the shareware, useless freeware and buggy extra software just to get it back to a solid simple Netbook. Sort it out Samsung!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung N220 Red, 9 Jun 2010
Andrew Rees (Swansea,South Wales) - See all my reviews
Bought this Netbook for my Son.I immediately upgraded the Ram from 1gb to 2gb before I even switched it on.I used Samsung RAM so I knew it would be OK. Access to do this is very easy its located underneath ,undo the screw to the covering panel pop up the holder slide out the old slide in the new.Job done. ( Go on YOU TUBE it shows you) Its takes ages to crunch its way through set up and annoyingly Samsung get you to partition the hard drive for recovery back up etc etc.In my experience get yourself an external hard drive and back up on that because when it goes very wrong you lose everything anyway and you can't access it, so whats the point.

Once you get going get rid of the useless padding programs on these things.I upgraded Windows Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium,you don't need to because Starter is all you need ,but I did because it was for son.The result is a small fully functioning laptop .Yes the processor is small in size but it copes very well with all the usual everyday tasks.As long as you as you don't intend to control NASA from it it does the job perfectly.

In terms of aesthetics its very well built,looking pleasing to the eye with its shiny red cover but a fingerprint magnet.Inside the material is a matt black finish and the chic let type key board is comfortable to use.The display is bright and crystal clear and in bright sunlight still visible.All in all an excellent purchase.Father and Son are very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung N220 Netbook, 30 May 2010
I bought this to use when on the road, and added a 1 Gb/month mobile dongle to connect me when wi-fi was not an option. It's light, the supplied slip-on case is protection in my bag but not protection against dropping, the case lid smears easily but that's a minor thing, the screen is fine and clear in most lighting conditions.

Performance is OK for simple word processing (I use the excellent, free, Open Office), web browsing and e-mails; if I'd wanted a faster, more powerful, machine, I wouldn't have chosen a netbook. Both wi-fi and dongle connections are easy and effective. 1 Gb / month seems ample so far. Portability was the uppermost selection criterion, solidity and ease of use second, web speed third. On those grounds, it's excellent. I may add more memory later, but it doesn't strictly need it, that would be just a nice-to-have.

I would recommend it for mobile web browsing or simple mobile word processing and office uses. If you want a machine that can process pictures or video, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung n220, 22 May 2010
Mrs. P. A. Reed "jimmpam" (york, uk) - See all my reviews
Bought this netbook for mainly work use, wanting something I can throw in a bag for use on a train and not worry about power leads and lugging half a ton from meeting to meeting etc.

Main selling points for me were:-
1. battery life (for this reason I only seriously considered the "pinetrail" netbooks around)- so far so good. With on and off useage over the past 4-5 days I've only charged up once since the initial full charge. A full day's work looks no sweat for this baby.

2. Screen. I was keen on non-glossy as the idea of working outside in the sun when chance permits. The non-glossy option here is the main reason I didnt go for an Asus, which was my main other comparison. I've read a not great review about this screen but it is perfectly fine in normal use and I'm typing this in bright sunshine in my garden- something I simply could not do with my main work 15" dell with a super glossy screen.

Other considerations

Win 7 starter is ok, not hugely different to vista. boot up time is about 3mins from off to being able to open something- I can probably trim that down with taking some bloatware off the startup options, but I did expect a bit quicker than that.

General performance is so-so with 1gb, especially when it's trying to do more than one thing at a time. I'm waiting for a 2gb module and will see how that improve matters. THat said, it seems usable enough with the minimum installed.

networking, there are usual trials of getting different versions of windows to see each other (I'm running on XP, Vista and now 7 at home).

software- Its a shame starter 7 doesnt come with email & calendar like vista does. I've loaded up Thunderbird which is fine for mail but runs quite slowly.

MS Works is installed plus a 60day trial of Office. I've downloaded openoffice and will give that a go to be honest.

I'm surprised there is no obvious synchronisation utility apparently provided, but there are 3rd party options for that.

Ergonomics
Its a pretty machine. Touchpad is ok, (I prefer mouse generally) keyboard I think its a shame they ditched a proper keyboard, while this calculator style looks funky its not a pleasure to type on- but no doubt will get used to that.

Overall

Good piece of kit, on first impressions I'm happy to have chosen it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›