on 18 September 2009
So, having made an enemy of a son of Hades last Christmas, Percy Jackson must be hoping that the new year is a lot better than the last, right?

Well, if he is, he's a fool. A game of capture the flag leads to the discovery of an entrance to the mythical Labyrinth, and thus a back-door entrance into camp. Which certain enemies, like say Kronos, Lord of Time and King of the Titans, may use to destroy the camp.

And so, another adventure begins for Percy and his friends, who must delve into this maze of wonders, terrors, monsters, friends, foes, and everything else inbetween. Including a monster who really needs to up her personal hygene levels and a friend who has more arms than you can count.

In this, the penultimate volume of the series, Riordan neatly sets up his dominoes, while also making the story fun, exciting, and compelling to read. Like the rest of the series to date, you won't be able to put this book down (which I learned the hard way).
This is book four of the Percy Jackson series, with only one more installment to come. Readers from around ten years old will be thrilled by the adventures of the teenaged hero who just happens to be the son of Poseidon, God of the Sea, and all his friends, most of whom are the children of the Olympians from Greek Mythology.

In my opinion, it would be better if you read the series in order, and the three previous books are:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2)
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3)

In "The Battle of the Labyrinth", Percy and three friends set off on a quest through the treacherous labyrinth, in search of the inventor Daedalus, hoping that he will help them to defeat the army being assembled by Luke, son of Hermes. The thing is - Luke is just the messenger, and the evil he's about to unleash can bring down Olympus itself.

Although still clueless about girls and relationships, Percy starts developing and unleashing his powers, and surprises even himself when he attempts to repeat Hercules' great stable cleansing project. Other demi-gods also come into their own in book four, and a mortal girl proves to be just the ticket, and in the nick of time too. In a related sub-story, the search for Pan reaches an exhilarating climax.

Packed with monsters of all persuasions, gods and demi-gods, rescues, battles and side trips to Alcatraz and Mount St. Helens, this is by far the most exciting book of the series so far.

Amazingly imaginative, thrilling and funny, this series by Rick Riordan continues to be a front runner in children's fiction, and I recommend it without reservation.

Amanda Richards
on 17 June 2012
"If you've never been charged by an enthusiastic Cyclops wearing a flowered apron and rubber cleaning gloves, I'm telling you, it'll wake you up quick."

I'm going to start of by saying you would never, ever find me in the Labyrinth. That things sound scary. Not so much the monsters you encounter, but the fact it's forever changing and alive in some ways.

I absolutely love this series and this book definitely did not disappoint.

I thought I'd completely called a twist after a certain dream scene of Percys and was all chuffed with myself then was absolutely gobsmacked when the actual twist turned out to be even more impressive.

Riordan is just a brilliant writer. Even in pretty dire situations he seems to find a way to bring humour into it without taking away from the seriousness of the situation! I was also really glad we got to see Rachel Elizabeth Dare again. I mean, we only met her very, very briefly in the last book but I had a feeling we'd be seeing her again and I'm glad it was so soon and in such a big way!

One thing I could of done without was the nearly superficial love triangle that Percy found himself in. I mean, him and Annabeth had enough problems getting together with Luke and mass drama of nearly dying every page without another problem but it worked weirdly enough in the end.

I finished this book to only go straight onto the next. I just couldn't wait to find out what happened!
This is the fourth adventure in the Percy Jackson series that starts with Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief.

Percy is a boy who happens to be half god, or a half blood as people like him are known. His father is Poseidon, king of the oceans, and because of him Percy can control the waters and the things that live in the water.

When Percy first discovers about his half blood origins he is at Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for heroes of the new Olympus. Olympus is alive and well in the 21st Century and situated in a magical quantum way in and around America, the new seat of world power.

Each book unfolds a quest which Percy and his friends must go on to save the world, and the Olympian Gods from destruction. In this volume, the power of Kronos, the evil Titan Lord grows even stronger, and he sends his hordes through the new version of the minotaur's labyrinth to try and destroy Percy, his friends and all they stand for.

I love these books. My children love these books. They are funny, clever and ingenious. I love the way Rick Riordan marries the classic Greek myths to the modern world and makes the stories fit so seamlessly it appears as if they were meant to be like that all along. I love the fact that as well as being complete page turners, the stories are thoughtful and the characters are well developed. The overarching plot line of Kronos and his dark army is inspired, and makes each quest more rich and interesting to read about than if they had been standalone adventures.

There is one more book to go in this series, and my children and I cannot wait to read it together. I've been reading the books out loud to my six and ten year olds and they actually beg me for more chapters. If my voice would hold out all day, they'd have me reading all day. Wonderful books.
on 10 February 2014
My son has absolutely loved these Percy Jackson books. He's dyslexic but the subject has really enthused him and he's been reading them on his tablet in larger print. Thank you Rick Riordan for writing stuff that has enabled my son to really love reading.
on 28 July 2014
I love these books, as a 22 year old single working mum there is nothing better than putting your child to bed, cleaning then relaxing with a good fantasy book. I read all 5 in this series within 6 days (dinner breaks inc) i really didn't want to put them down or to finish. Just ordered the Heroes of Olympus books and i hope they are as good if not better than these. 5 stars!
on 15 July 2014
A new adventure, attempting to locate the labyrinth to prevent Luke`s supporters finding a way into Camp Half blood. The mystery of the new Sword master Quintus and a mortal girl who can see through the" mist"

A book which could not be put down until finished.
on 7 March 2012
I ordered this Percy Jackson book when my library's copy was taken out from right under my nose.
Percy and all his friends our back, the book is exciting. The ride will have you gripping your seat in anticipation.
Percy and Annabeth are cornered by some scorpions and to escape they hide in a cave inside Zeus's fist, the giant pile of boulders in the woods at Camp Half-Blood. When they emerge Annabeth realises they have found the entrance to the mystical labyrinth of Daedalus of Crete.
With Grover and Tyson, they embark on a journey to save the camp from Titan invasion while Grover continues his search for Pan, the god of the wild.
One unfriendly brother, a herd of flesh-eating horses, a set of wings and a long journey later, Percy prepares to defend the camp.
Read and enjoy, I would recommend this book for 10-15 years of ages! Older or younger people may like them but I think this is just right! :-)
Hope this was helpful!
Jessica
on 23 October 2013
This was the hardest out and least favourite book to read but the book saga is a really good read, The stories within the book are interesting as well as the extra bits on the greek gods were you learn reevalute what you did know about the greek gods because it sparks that extra interest in the gods, giving you more useless gemeral knowledge always good for quizzes. i read the qwhole saga quite quickly and currenly reading oother books by the author.
on 23 October 2013
I absolutely love the way Rick Riordan writes, as an adult, there's many that would say this book is too young for me, but I find adult books just a bit serious.

The mix of teen angst/humour and mythology really works. I have read the entire Rick Riordan catalogue :)