5.0 out of 5 stars Hold your baby!
Published on 26 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,but not a 'bible'.
Published on 13 July 2001 by fionawallace@moadal.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold your baby!, 26 April 1999
By A Customer
My husband and I read this book 9 years ago, before the birth of our son, and it spoke to our hearts. Employing the simple idea that a baby who starts life in the womb shouldn't be abruptly separated from the mother after birth, we maintained almost constant contact with him for the first few months. I was amazed at some of the resistance, resentment, even hostility, people sometimes demonstrated when informed that we slept with our newborn and never left him to cry. All their protests were based on nothing but groundless fears -- "You'll roll over and smother him! You'll 'spoil' him!" Etc. Well, he became naturally more and more independent and separate at his own pace, not an arbitrarily imposed one (that's the "continuum" part), and weaned himself from the breast at 11 months, rather than at a time decided by the "experts" or demands of employment. He is now 9 years old, and is a wonderful, happy, secure, well-adjusted boy, and I never cease getting compliments from everyone who meets him on how considerate, engaging, empathetic, kind, and well socialized he is. I credit Liedloff's book for all of this. If I could give one message to all would-be parents, I would say: Don't buy into the lie that material things are what's important to provide your child, and if you yourself are so wrapped up in financial gain that you won't temporarily sacrifice it to bond with him the first year of life, you're selling yourselves short. Invest the first 6 months to 1 year of his life raising him in your arms, and you will be giving him, and yourself, more than a billion dollars could ever buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spells out what your instincts are trying to tell you, 9 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
Having spent the past year battling with contemporary opinion that babies need "controlled crying" and will be spoiled by "too much attention", it was wonderful to read that the constant carrying and cuddling I gave to my son was in fact what all babies need to thrive. Liedloff's decriptions of the South American people she stays with are fascinating, and the attitude towards childcare refreshing. The only down side is that some of the language and attitudes are dated ("civilised" and "savages") and perhaps she takes the point a little too far into variations of adult behaviour. Having said that - this book should be read by anyone contemplating parenthood!

5.0 out of 5 stars revolutionary, 24 Nov. 2009
How I wish I had read this before I had my own child. I would unquestionably have tried out these revolutionary ap proaches. This is a book that every couple who is about to have a baby should read. Don't delay because it makes so much sense. I was able to lend a copy to a close friend just after she had given birth to her first child and she followed the advice in this book very carefully with highly benefical results. She has two children, a girl and a boy, both brought up with Liedloff's methods and they rarely cried, are very independent, confident and happy children. It goes to show that mother's down the ages don't necessarily know best!!!!!Liedloff has handed us the key to living in closer harmony with our children. Take them everywhere, let them feel when they are babies the warmth of their parents, the movement of being in the arms of their parents when they are walking, the confidence of knowing mum or dad is always around, sleep with them, cuddle them. Living in Italy as I do it is great to go out to restaurants at night and see the children all running round, not tucked up in boring old bed, but allowed to drop off when they want, secure in the knowledge that they are loved, wanted no matter where, no matter how because mum or dad's arms are only a few steps away.Let's break the conditioned mould and rethink all the ridiculous ways in which we have isolated our children in the past.Read Liedloff and it will change those old taboos for ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book every parent should be reading whilst expecting their first child!, 5 Dec. 2009
D. Gilbert "dianagilbert2" (surrey, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book, which I read when my third child was a baby - I wish I had read it before I became a parent. It explains so much about the way life has continued for many generations before we came, and should be compulsory reading for everyone. We have all become so far removed from the way life should be, yet it is such a simple way of making it all simple, easy and uncomplicated. It made me realise just how complex my life as a mother of 3 children was, needlessly! I also felt quite sorry that I had been following some 'expert' opinions instead of listening to my maternal instincts. This book will bring the reader back to where every parent should be - in touch with their intuitive parenting and the way of natural creation of life. I cannot recommend it highly enough: even though I first read it 10 years ago it is still very much on my mind and I have recommended it to many over the years. Now ordering it for my niece who is expecting her first child soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book all pregnant women should read, 12 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
I read this book when my children were five and two, I wish I had read it when pregnant for the first time. Then maybe I wouldn't have suffered with chronic PND for eighteen months after the birth of my first child. I would've listened to my instincts, believed in myself and in evolution and not listened to such tyrants as Gina Ford with their strategies and baby boot camp training. Anyone would think that babies were an alien race trying to ruin our lives instead of the pure and innocent vulnerable babies that they have been since time began. Thank you Ms Leidloff for changing my life for the better. READ THIS BOOK and bin all the parent centred rubbish that fills the shelves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but a bit abstract to modern day parenting, 29 May 2013
I found this book a completely fascinating reminder of just how normal it is for babies to want to be in close contact with people at all times and that when people talk about these `modern ideas' of attachment actually it is the way we are encouraged to parent now that is modern and takes away our belief in our instincts.

I found this book at odds with other books which encourage mothers to give themselves fully to mothering as while it spoke about babies needs to constantly be with their mothers, it was clear that this did not mean other mothers give up doing anything else to achieve this. In fact the opposite was true the babies in this book spent almost 100% of their time in constant human contact while the mother went about her daily routine and contrary to what other books tell us babies learn through being surrounded by people and exposed to daily life rather than being stimulated by play mats and toys. I found the ideas in this book about how we learn to mother fascinating. It is no wonder that we are susceptible to the self-proclaimed baby experts when we are witness to so little mothering going on around us. While I found this book informative I'd be wary of who I encouraged to read it as I think for mothers who were swaying towards a more ridged approach it could be off putting and I would recommend an alternative to them like `BabyCalm'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Gives you the confident to go with your gut!, 9 Feb. 2012
Please read this book before setting your child onto a routine, such as the Contented Baby Book. This book lets parents relax and enjoy their babies while not having to worry about routines or timings. You can wear your baby in a sling and get on with life and they will be happy to learn from the world around them. They do not need to be sleep trained, just let them sleep next to you and you will have a happy baby and more sleep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Less really is more, 6 Oct. 2003
Ms. K. S. Rodgers "Karen Rodgers" (Cambridge, CAMBS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the book I most wish I had read on leaving school; part adventure story, part philosophical treatise with many arresting, endearing and striking anecdotes it sets out with such burning clarity how our society creates the conditions for us to feel depressed, stressed and alienated. It is however, I feel, a very positive book and one I will come back to time and again; it explains how we can also achieve far greater happiness and harmony with others around us. It is a hymn to the quality of life,an illustration of the addictiveness and ultimate irrelevance of consumerism and an affirmation of the beauty and strength of the human spirit. Definately not to be confined to the shelves intended for prospective parents I would happliy give this book as a graduation present.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting,but not a 'bible'., 13 July 2001
I read this book after reading 'Three in a bed' by Deborah Jackson, which I thoroughly enjoyed and found to be useful, sensible and well-informed. Yes, the core concept rings true...and it has certainly worked for my baby, but as other people have said here, flexibility is so important, and no, we don't live in the jungle! I have also heard that Leidloff has been slightly misleading in that, although the Yequana babies did not kill themselves playing with the knives that are 'lying around', she did neglect to mention that many of them are scarred.... Basically, it's worth reading, but use your instincts and remember you are bringing up your child in a totally different world to the one discussed here, although I do believe that babies thrive on this concept of parenting. Read Deborah Jackson to get a more realistic take on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book touched me as few others have..., 24 Nov. 1997
By A Customer
The ideas in this book are at the same time obvious and natural and completely revolutionary from the point of view of our cultural norms in child-raising. I found myself moved by the possibility that we can learn to raise our children so that "normal neurotic" is seen for what it is...the evidence of a childhood of profound lonliness and trauma. I heartily recommend this book. Especially if you've ever wondered what being an infant may be like from the infant's point of view..

The Continuum Concept (Arkana)