5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Greeks siring kids
Published on 19 May 2007 by Amanda Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrecked story
After the first two books I was expecting an even better third book. What was Rick Riordan thinking when he introduced new characters out of the blue. I mean I didn't even get the first bit that easily. Seriously? Thalia's only been alive for like 11 months and she's already his friend?! And where did ZoŽ Nightshade and Bianca and Nico di Angelo come from? Artemis...
Published 17 months ago by Anushka Vashistha a really hel...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Greeks siring kids, 19 May 2007
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If you've been following this fascinating series, you'll already know that it is based on Greek mythology, with a touch of artistic license and a ton of humor. Apparently, the big three of Olympus (Poseidon, Zeus and Hades) had reluctantly agreed to stop popping over to earth and siring offspring with the local mortals, in order to nullify a prophecy that foretells certain disaster when said offspring reach the age of sixteen. However, gods will be gods, and as we pick up the story from The Sea of Monsters), we have two potentially dangerous demi-gods running around, namely Percy Jackson, star of the series and son of Poseidon, God of the Sea, and Thalia, who formerly had roots on Half-Blood Hill, and is the daughter of Zeus, Lord of the Sky. This is not to say that some of the other gods weren't busy as well, and the majority of the supporting cast is made up of children of the other residents of Olympus.

This third book of the planned five book series starts with a rescue mission to save two newly-discovered demi-gods from a monster attack, and during the battle, a daughter of Athena is taken, despite the timely arrival of Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt and her hunters. While Artemis sets off alone to hunt another monster that is destined to cause the downfall of Olympus, the rest are sent to Camp Half-Blood for their safety. While there, The Oracle (whose description makes her sound like Norman Bates' mummy) delivers a prophecy that leads to the rest of the action that packs book three from cover to cover.

To cut the story short, a team of five is chosen to set off in search of Artemis, but there is a last minute unplanned substitution, who has another quest or two to fulfill along the way. The route takes them through Manhattan and across the country to San Francisco, where our hero experiences what it's like to carry the weight of the sky on his shoulders.

Cool monsters, skeletal warriors and bad guys abound, as well as gods behaving badly and making bad haiku, but the most upsetting thing about this book is that after reading the ending, it will be a very agonizing and excruciatingly painful wait for books four and five. This is one of those series where you just gotta get them all.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 25 April 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The SEA OF MONSTERS ended with a bang, with another child of the three gods emerging from the tree guarding Camp Half-Blood. Percy Jackson now has his hands full in THE TITAN'S CURSE, the third volume of the series.

When he answers an urgent call from his best friend, Grover, at a school in Maine, unexplainable things start happening. Grover has found two more half-bloods, who are siblings, but the assistant principal is a powerful monster in disguise. Grover will never get the half-bloods to camp without help. Percy, Annabeth, and Thalia set off for Maine to help Grover, but don't realize that they're walking into a trap.

Dr. Thorn, the assistant principal, has some tricks up his sleeve. When Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, arrives, things get out of hand. Dr. Thorn falls off a cliff with Annabeth. Artemis goes after her and everyone else returns to Camp Half-Blood. Here, they try to act as normal as possible, but two camper's dreams indicate severe trouble with both Artemis and Annabeth.

The Oracle speaks and five campers must find and bring back Artemis before the Winter Solstice. For the first time, Percy remains behind, but not by choice, and not for long. When Percy meets up with the group, the enemies start showing themselves--and the race to reach Artemis and Annabeth alive becomes more crucial. Can Percy save both them before the Winter Solstice?

THE TITAN'S CURSE leaves the reader hanging, waiting for several important questions to be answered in the final two books of the series. This fast-paced novel, along with the action, makes it a great series for fantasy lovers, reluctant readers, and anyone looking for a good story.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 8 May 2009
I am a 14-year-old girl and I started reading the books when they first came out. I was interested in Greek Mythology and found them interesting and absorbing. The characters were easy to relate too, especially as I was a similar age to them and they told the stories really well. Although I'm now above the age group they're aimed at I still enjoy reading them. I want to know what will happen to the characters - which is always good - and it's nice to know the main characters won't die because: a) It's a kids book, and b) because it isn't the last book in the series.

I'd recommend this to boys AND girls about 9-years-old and over. They are well written, enjoyable to read, not patronizing, and tell you a lot about Greek mythology

5.0 out of 5 stars good wholesome family read, 4 April 2010
D. M. Barber (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
My wife and I have read the entire series of the percy Jackson books now and really enjoyed them, after reading a lot of crime/thriller books written for adults it was such a refreshing change to have something gripping and entertaining without all the gore and woe of books aimed at adults. There is enough wit and depth to make the books enjoyable for adults, and enough cool action for kids.
Definitely recommended. (unlike the first film of the series, the lightning thief which is so far from the book it is a stretch to give it the same name) Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse, Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth, Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing read, 25 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
It was a great read and I literally read it in one day.. I read this once when I was 7 and decided to read it again now my bro got them on his kindle and i am loving them event more the second time round. I'm going to read the rest of the series and try other books by Rick Riordan. 5 stars every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found myself laughing out loud and enjoying myself as I sped through this brilliant action-packed novel, 16 Nov. 2014
I don’t remember this being one of my favourites when I first read it, and that largely came down to the fact that the main characters spent a lot of time (not always by choice) away from each other and so you lose the dynamic they have together which I simply love reading about. However as you can see from the 5 star rating, I still completely loved it!

What I thought before remains true this time around, but it was a lot easier to overlook. I also came to appreciate the way it made room for introductions to new characters that were great additions to the story; and not replacements for the ones I love which my 12 year old self thought. Nico was definitely my favourite among them because there’s so much to his character whereas Bianca seemed a little one-sided and I did not understand the decisions she made.

Thalia was definitely the most significant addition, being the daughter of Zeus and all, which is why I still found myself surprised by her role; it was like she came back from the “dead” and seeing that Luke wasn’t the hero she thought he was decided to “leave” again.

Percy remained true though and I simply love that (along with everything else) about him. Even thinking that he was no longer the child of the prophecy he steps up to be the hero on more than one occasion.

Plot wise, I think this is the book where it starts to get serious. The prophecy is always lurking in the background along with its threat of war so naturally the story takes a much darker turn. However I still found myself laughing out loud and enjoying myself as I sped through this brilliant action-packed novel. This series is a must-read.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite series ever!, 21 Sept. 2013
I think I'm really hooked on this series now, considering the fact that I read this book within a day. Well admittedly I'd want to read them all like this, but there's exams in two weeks. This is so not good for me.

This book was another great installment. Riordan has really picked up a winning formula here. Every time another mythological creature comes along, I get all excited. It's amazing how he can mix that with the actual world. And it just works!

I have to say, I think Blackjack was my favorite character for this book. Haha, he wasn't around too much but I was basically laughing at everything he said.

I must admit, there was not NEARLY enough Luke in this book for me. My fangirl heart, for the first time in QUITE a while, is screaming for fanfiction of the scenes where Luke keeps Annabeth prisoner. Seriously, I need to see that. But I will resist... I don't want to tread into the realm of fanfiction yet for fear of spoilers. No one will spoil this series for me. But yeah, I missed Luke and Annabeth.

ZoŽ was quite an interesting character. I still can't really decide whether I like her or not. She tends to get really annoying sometimes. Same with Thalia, I feel like they didn't really flesh out her character enough. I can't quite put my finger on how to picture her. I was totally scared throughout the whole book though that Thalia would (view spoiler) so I'm really glad for the ending. That was a nice twist, and for a change it was really unexpected for me. (I also want to know more about her relationship with Luke. Ahh, can't there be a prequel or something??)

Once again, I think my favorite part of each of these books is when they introduce one of the gods. This time, Artemis and Apollo. And how awesome are they?? Seriously. I also loved Athena in this book, although she didn't appear all too often. It was a really nice addition. Aphrodite... *shrug* I dunno.

And I really hope the girl from the Hoover dam comes back at some point! She was really sassy, I just loved it. I'm also excited for Nico to come back. It sounds like that's going to be a really interesting twist. I must admit, that twist at the end left me quite surprised.

I've also finally gotten used to the narrative style Riordan uses. With the first two books I was still on the fence, as I don't usually like first person narratives unless it truly adds something to the story (i.e. Shatter Me - where the first person narrative gives you insight into how someone tries to convince themselves they're not crazy). But I finally see the added value, after this third book. And that is that... Percy's thoughts are just hilarious. There's so much comedy in how he describes things to himself. And in third person that probably wouldn't come across as well.

The only thing I still dislike is how each book takes place over 1-2 weeks, and bridging the time gap between the books is always done super quickly, at random. I guess it sort of fits into Percy's perspective on things, but.. yeah, it just feels like something's missing sometimes. -- To put it simply, I just want MORE. MORE MORE MORE.

Recommended for: fans of Percy Jackson and Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 24 Jun. 2009
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) ended with a bang, with another child of the three gods emerging from the tree guarding Camp Half-Blood. Percy Jackson now has his hands full in THE TITAN'S CURSE, the third volume of the series.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

5.0 out of 5 stars unfaltering brilliance - more please!, 15 May 2008
Amanda Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This is the series that is the obvious front-runner to succeed Harry Potter. Percy Jackson, the teenaged son of a single mother has been adorable ever since he vaporised his Math teacher and discovered his dyslexia and ADHD were symptoms of being a demi-god. As the son of one of the big three Greek gods (Poseidon) now that Olympus has moved to America, he must survive until he's sixteen, and save the world. So far, he's done it twice. However, the twins Percy finds at another school haven't a clue about their powers, and when he, his best friend Grover the satyr and his almost-girlfriend Annabeth (daughter of Athene) rescue them from monsters it's just the start of another hugely enjoyable quest.

The wit and zest with which Riordan plays with both Greek myth and modern America is completely delightful. I loved Apollo arriving in his golden sports car, the enthusiastic Pegasus Blackjack and the statues that come to life to defend Percy just when he's hopelessly trapped by a skeletal army. They will make completely wonderful films, not least because Percy and his relationships are getting deeper and richer with each book. His Titan half-brother Tyson began as a seemingly slow-witted embarrassment but is touchingly sweet and loyal, and makes Percy a fantastic shield which springs out of a watch, much like Percy's magic sword Riptide which springs from a pen, is one half but so is Percy's loving mother. The emotional intelligence is very real. My kids love these books, and are bombarded by friends for them as soon as a new one appears.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best One Yet, 21 July 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is the third book in the Percy Jackson series after Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, both of which I have already read with my six and ten year old. We've just finished this one, and they're already begging to know when we will start the fourth one (tomorrow, in case you were dying to know!). They love these books, and I love reading them to them. They are getting better and better in my opinion, and this was my favourite of the three we have read so far.

In this book, the prophecy which involves Percy and his possible role in bringing down the Olympian Gods, becomes a little clearer, and yet more complicated as various clever plot twists throw in a few unexpected new developments.

At the same time, Percy, Thalia, Grover and the hunters who are devoted to the service of the moon goddess, Artemis, embark upon a quest to save both their goddess, and Annabeth, Percy's friend and the daughter of Athena.

I won't give anything else away, but expect the usual superb writing, pacy plot lines, wonderful humour and some real touches of sadness, which make the book that bit more interesting and deep than your average child, fantasy sequel.

I never fail to enjoy the way Riordan meshes modern American life with ancient Greek mythology in such an entertaining way. I am looking forward to reading the next one as much as the children.