5.0 out of 5 stars First class French English dictionary
For under £4 I wasn't expecting this dictionary to be as good as this. After spending an afternoon at our local reference library, I found that words which were not in this dictionary were also not in their hefty French English dictionary.

Published on 25 Oct 2011 by E. WOOLSTON

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm not using it properly
I'm only reviewing this because it appears that I can't flick through the pages until I write a review. It is so bad I think I must be using it
incorrectly! I have tried to flick through but a request always comes up to review it. I have tried looking up a French word but the
Published 10 months ago by Bernadette McDade

5.0 out of 5 stars First class French English dictionary, 25 Oct 2011
E. WOOLSTON (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: French to English Dictionary (Collins Digital Dictionaries) (French Edition) (Kindle Edition)

Although, like every dictionary out so far, it has not been able to solve the Kindle's Whole Word Find so that words starting with l' or v' are not found, it is able to spot most plurals and participles and, unlike other dictionaries, displays the translation for the infinitive or singular without repeating the word you are looking up and stating that it is a translation of another word so that you have to click into the dictionary to get to the translation.

As well as straight translations it also has figurative translations and colloquial usage with examples of usage when appropriate. With words that have several nuances, a French word in brackets preceeds the translation to give you contexts. So the entry 'entaille' contains (encoche) notch: (blessure) cut; se faire une~ to cut o.s.

It contains the phonetic pronunciation of the French word and tells you the gender of nouns and whether verbs are transitive or intransitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What it Says on the Tin!, 12 April 2012
Ed (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read one review that said it couldn't be set as the default dictionary, I went ahead and bought it anyway, as the product description says it can. And it can :). I've read a couple of pages of Thérèse Raquin (by Emile Zola), and this translated 90% of the words I threw at it. What more can you want?

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, 11 Dec 2012
R. Perkins - See all my reviews
Update of 28th February 2013 to my earlier review.

I had been using the Merriam-Webster interactive dictionary since January 2011, but have now been using this Collins dictionary since October 2012 on my Kindle keyboard, as it has many more words than the older M-W.

On the keyboard Kindle this Collins dictionary still has the problem of words preceded by an apostrophe not being found, but on the newer Kindle Paper White which my wife has just bought, this problem has been solved (presumably because the method of highlighting the required word is different). The presentation of the definitions is also greatly improved on the new Kindle over the Kindle keyboard, in that they now come up in a pop-up window.

Occasionally the dictionary finds the 'wrong' word, for example an adverb when one wanted the verb, or vice-versa, but in such cases the word one wanted is generally near to next door to the one found.

I see that some reviewers have complained about the number of words, but to me it probably has about as many words as one could expect from an interactive dictionary like this, bearing in mind that presumably there must be a trade off between size and search speed. For me it is a big improvement, and I would not be without it. I still need to refer occasionally (but not nearly so often as before) to my printed "Collins Robert" and less often to my "Petit Robert", but all in all I find this Collins interactive dictionary is very useful. For an intermediate french leaner with a rather small vocabulary like myself, it makes reading a french book on the Kindle very much quicker than reading a printed french book.

And it's amazing value at £3.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Oct 2012
I was excited when I found this for the Kindle - at last, no more leafing through a paper volume, or being chained to a computer to look words up on the internet.

I downloaded it in seconds, and it's worth every penny. I've read lots of French literature so smoothly from simply being able to touch a word (on the Kindle Touch) - and in an instant the definition appears in a small box over the text - if you want to go deeper you can go to the full definition. If it doesn't find a word listed there (unlikely - it's one of the best dictionaries out there), then the Kindle will simply default to the in-built monolingual French dictionary to see if it's there. It's had 99% of the words I've looked up - it does sometimes confuse words that look identical, but you can always go to the full definition to clear it up. It has lots of idioms, and will recognise conjugations of verbs, plurals, with the l' in front of a word.

It's basically excellent! And if you have a paper copy of a book in French, then you can still use Collins as an electronic dictionary on the Kindle - a small virtual keyboard appears for you to input the words!

Really great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good dictionary, 15 Aug 2012
I travel quite a lot to France and although I can speak a certain amount of French often come up against words I don't understand. This dictionary is easy to use and easy to find the word you're looking for. It will be much easier in future to carry my Kindle with me than a large dictionary. Please note that this is a French to English dictionary only.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm not using it properly, 29 Dec 2013
search is incredibly slow and it throws up every word that contains the word I entered and every reference to the word in other
definitions - what it does not do is tell me what the word means e.g le chien = dog! Explanation pages at the beginning are blank and I am now using my old French English paper dictionary to accompany my French novel on Kindle. I'm hoping it will all work now I've entered a review - My very first one star review. I will upgrade it if it suddnely starts working like a dictionary but I'm not too hopeful

5.0 out of 5 stars More portable than my 1.78 kilo printed dictionary!, 19 Feb 2013
I needed an easy way to access both French/English and English/French dictionaries, without lugging my 1.78 kilo book version.These are not silly little phrase books, they are true dictionaries. They display the correct pronumciation of each word and there is also help with grammar, phrases and so on. I think this book is very helpful for anyone reading French books, writing in french or needs a more portable means of translating the language. If you cannot speak French already, do not think that this can be used to look up phrases on holiday. The purpose of this book is to help those who are learing to speak the language. Very pleased indeed with this book for just a few pounds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out, 21 Jan 2013
If like me, you have a kindle fire and are looking to set this as your default dictionary, you will be disappointed, you can't for some reason I and many others do not understand, seems to work fine for every other kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Dictionary, 17 July 2012
Amazon Customer (Beverley. England.) - See all my reviews
I bought this to help me whilst in France on holiday. What a brilliant purchase, has not let me down yet.
Easy to use and even easier to download.
I would recommend this to anyone, much easier to use than a standard paper dictionary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfit for purpose as a kindle reference book., 1 Mar 2014
As a kindle edition this dictionary cannot be searched properly, does not have a fast proper reference function, and is therefore useless as a reference book. Avoid until it has proper e-book search functions.