Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£5.01

on 29 July 2015
Detailed biography,lets you know lot about Freddie's world and life
on 29 September 2002
I'm sure you'd get better enjoyment, and certainly more enlightenment, out of reading your local bus timetable. Really was a major disappointment for me. This book is a list. A list of places visited, a list of things seen. No insight whatsoever into what drove Freddie (nor, for that matter, the author).
on 6 July 2011
I'm a huge Queen fan and after reading Jim Hutton's 'Mercury and Me' I couldn't wait to dig into this. The claim that Peter Freestone is the man who knew Freddie best isn't a wholly inaccurate one so I thought that this would provide great insight. And it does, but all too infrequently. Want to know what bed linen Freddie preferred? Then read this book. Want to know what his favourite undies were? You'll find that here too. You will also learn a lot about the man himself but the book is so poorly edited and so many inconsequential information is thrusted upon the reader that you really have to dig deep to find the interesting stuff.
There are very few revelatory things included here, which is a huge shame really. Maybe Peter Freestone is too loyal to really dig the dirt on Freddie or maybe he was banished to the serving quarters when all the real fun was being had. Who knows? What I do know from reading this book is that we will probably not have a scathingly honest account of Freddie's life for a long time yet. Not that I want dirt necessarily but I would like to know more about who he really was.
If it seems like I hated this book then I apologise. I certainly didn't. I was just left somewhat disappointed at the end of it. It is a book is filled with facts and dates, anecdoted and tidbits of information but it never delves deep enough for my liking. Peter Freestone has actually made Freddie Mercury seem a little boring at times here. I never thought that could happen as Freddie was such a wonderful one-off but this book is devoid of anything really interesting. It is filled with heart but lacks character. Maybe Peter Guralnick will one day have a bash at the Queen legacy. Wouldn't that be wonderful? If not, then maybe Paul Gambaccini could delve into the music of Queen and Freddie and unearth some interesting treasures therein. Unfortunately, this book adds little to the legend. A shame indeed.
on 21 July 2015
An enjoyable and enlightening read.
on 21 January 2016
I am stisfied with My order
on 25 March 2008
I'm not a Queen fan but I bought this book by "glücklicher Zufall" - happy accident, after literally stumbling into Freddy's statue in Montreux Switzerland. The Swiss just don't do statues and I was really touched as people came up to kiss and touch this fantastic image of Freddy in what became his adopted city.

Two weeks later in Paris (sorry for blatant name-dropping) I saw the book and bought it immediately. I wanted to know "the real Freddy Mercury" and with wife and kids away I plonked myself down eagerly looking forward to reading this "intimate memoir by the man who knew him best" (Cover page).

Oh dear. A great disappointment.

I found out about lots Freddy's taste in curtains, linens and bathroom fixtures, but precious little I didn't already know about the man. No dirt, no sleaze - not an issue for me, but I just didn't feel I knew this man any better even after 250 pages. It was just mundane and superficial anecdotes. Memorable tales? No.

Sorry Queen fans, there must be better biographies on the market.
But I would say to you - go to Montreux if you've not already been and see how the Swiss have have commemorated this great musician and entertainer. I think you'll enjoy your trip.
0Comment3 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2010
I've read it in two days,u will enjoy this book for sure.It is not a heavy drama of a rockstar or the band,it is written I thing just as it has happened.Many thanks for the autor P.F.
on 6 June 2005
I wish I had read these reviews before I bought this book. It is pitifully badly written and so boring I couldn't even finish it. I am a big fan of Queen and believe me, I made every effort to read it but life is too short to endure this rubbish. There is no insight into Freddie's personality, his background or any other aspect of his life.
0Comment6 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2014
Brilliant, arrived promptly,- thank you.
on 7 November 2007
This man was officially presented as Freddie close friend. But really he is a servant who made himself famous spreading dirty stories about Freddie private life. And everybody believe in it because his lie officially supported by Queen Productions, Queen official fan club and Queen manager Jim Beach. This man is a total liar, his stories - a total fiction, his photos - cheap fake. The people who worked with photoshop laughed hysterically when they saw this kids created photos with "Freddie and his loves".
So, it's taken from this book.

...this lady arrived in the early part of the concert days with the intention of orally catering of the physical needs of as many people as possible involved in the show. It goes without saying that Freddie had admiration for this woman's severance, technique and capacity!

So, teenagers can buy it! Shame.
33 comments3 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse