Published on 10 Mar. 2013 by Dave R

3.0 out of 5 stars P Hudson
Product is different from last year's (which proved fine) and requires heavier dosage. Looked up B & S website and despite efforts could find no mention of the product at all. Would like to know more about it nonetheless.
Published 18 months ago by Harry Gellums

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY YOU SHOULD READ THIS IF YOUR VEHICLE IS OVER TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OLD, OR NOT USED MUCH, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser. 992381 (Misc.)
I've been using this stuff for years on the recommendation of my bike mechanic. I run a 1983 Suzuki Katana which doesn't get as much use as I'd like & can go 4-6 weeks between runs (criminal) & is usually laid up during the winter. This has the effect of "gumming-up" & "varnishing" the fuel system, especially the carbs, resulting in a time consuming & COSTLY strip down & rebuild - believe me, I speak from experience. Big Pete put me onto this stuff after said rebuild & I use it throughout the season in both my bike (& my mower). I top my tank up with petrol, then add this when I get home at the end of a run, letting the engine idle on tick-over just to get it through the system.

The other thing you may not be aware of is that petrol goes "off" in as short a space of time as a month - that's why if you leave fuel in your mower over winter, you will struggle to start it - this stuff will stabilise the petrol meaning that it remains fresher. Again, useful if you only manage to get out on your bike once a month.

However, contrary to what other reviewers say, this product WILL NOT protect against ethanol corrosion (but see update below)- do not use this product thinking you are protected against Ethanol corrosion - "The 999005E 125ml fuel additive has now been replaced with a 250ml bottle under part number 992381. This new formula is designed to work with and protect petrol which contains up to 10% ethanol. Most current UK petrol contains 5% ethanol. The older additive did not offer this protection hence its replacement. Available to you via your normal supplier. I hope this helps." - (Briggs & Strattons' response to the request for clarification as to whether this product offers Ethanol protection). Ever heard of Ethanol Corrosion? If your car or bike is less than twenty-five years old , don't worry. If, on the other hand, you run a classic vehicle (& I don't mean 50-60 years old but on some, less than 25 years old. Best check the exact age for your own vehicle but generally anything from before the early nineties or anything with a carburettor)then you do need to be aware of this potentially costly issue. "The greatest risk from ethanol in unleaded fuel is corrosion from the prolonged storage of fuel in the fuel tank. Classic fuel tanks are commonly made up of lead/tin alloy plated steel that is susceptible to ethanol corrosion. Ethanol is also corrosive to other metallic components including zinc, brass, lead and aluminium which will degrade over time under prolonged exposure to ethanol. In addition ethanol will also attack non-metallic materials such as rubber, cork gasket & leather that can result in costly problems with fuel hoses, seals, washers and gaskets." (Millers Oils) - Technically, it's not the Ethanol itself that causes corrosion, but the water in the Ethanol.

Do a bit of research & do something about it. You can either replace the entire fuel system or use an additive - I'm lazy so I use an additive. But not this one - it does not offer Ethanol Protection!! There are a few companies that offer additives (Millers, Frosts, Flexolite) - I use Flexolite, mainly because the mix ratio is low enough to be able to carry it with me whilst I'm out.

So does this stuff work? Well so far the carbs have not have to be stripped & rebuilt again, so I'm going to say yes. But do some research about Ethanol in fuel systems - it will scare the pants off you. Please note - I am not an expert, but have done a lot of reading about it.

UPDATE - 01.11.13

In case you're thinking I've lost my marbles, this is NOT the product I originally reviewed. That has been replaced by the newer version which DOES protect against Ethanol corrosion as mentioned in the Briggs & Stratton email. I've left the original review in the hope that people will start to wake up to the issues surrounding Ethanol

4.0 out of 5 stars Briggs and Stratton fuel stabiliser, 26 Sept. 2012
I bought this to revive a very old and abused rortary mower which i'm still waiting for it to improve. But in the cheap 2 stroke hedge trimmer from Aldi's, which stopped every 15 minutes and needed the spark plug cleaning its worked wonders, starts first time every time, even when its been put down for a while. Give it a try, it might just stop all that cursing when things don't start. I've also put in the old ride on mower and that seems to running sweeter as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stops evaporation of stored petrol, 21 July 2011
I bought this item 2 months ago to add to petrol stored for a winter emergency generator to stop degeneration of the fuel. So far, there has been no evaporation of the fuel at all and it appears to do the job as required.

The rating I have given is a 4 star - I would increase this to 5 star after the 24 month period if all goes well - but so far, so good! Good value if it continues to preserve 40 litres of petrol for 2 years.

Oct 2012 - So far, no evaporation, no engine knocking and the 40 litres is used up. I have ordered a new supply and increased my rating to 5-star. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 9 Sept. 2013
Briggs and Stratton's larger-sized bottle is easy to use and more cost-effective than buying small ones from B&Q. The two-stage filler measures additive in the right amount for fuel in 5 litre quantities.

My mowers use about 10 to 15 litres of petrol a year which means the fuel sits in my garage for many months. Fuel stabilisers are essential to keep the petrol from 'going off' and Briggs and Stratton's is just the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Stuff!, 23 May 2013
I was recommended this product from a friend as I was struggling to start my petrol lawn mower. This stuff is AMAZING! I was a bit dubious that it would work, but after adding it I could start the mower with just one pull of the cord! Fantastic! No more having the ask the neighbour to start it for me! I can't stop raving about it!

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT, 26 May 2014
JR (CHESHAM, BUCKS ,UK) - See all my reviews
Before retirement last year, I had spent a long time studying the claimed benefits of fuel additives as part of my job, and came to the conclusion that there are indeed very tangible benefits to be obtained by the end user for DIESEL engines, which was my speciality.

Coming from that background, I was therefore confident that it would be possible to improve the "keeping" quality and performance of forecourt petrol. Petrol goes "off" quite quickly.

I have used this stuff for about 10 years . I can honestly say that it does improve the "keeping" quality. Prior to using it, there was no chance my Lawnmower engine (Briggs & Stratton) would start in the Spring with the previous season's petrol in. Now, I can be sure it will start with a couple of pulls. Similarly, my 2 stroke Mantis engine now starts first time, every time.

Not so though with my Honda Rotavator engine. It starts OK, but won't run for long with the old "treated" petrol. Only new petrol keeps it going.

So not a universally successful solution for me, but it's so inexpensive to use, it's worth giving it a go.

This stuff does work with petrol stored over Winter - at least with my Lawnmower engine (Briggs & Stratton) There was no chance of it starting in Spring with old petrol, but now it goes first time. Have used it for many years now. Not the same with my Honda rotavator engine though - still have to buy new petrol in the Spring

4.0 out of 5 stars Fuel Fit Additive - Good Stuff, 31 July 2013
Only time will tell whether or not this product will make any significant difference to the running of the engines after being stored for long periods of time - during the winter months.
I have not experienced any difficulties starting the engines using this additive and if it does what Briggs & Stratton suggests it does it will be well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective Product, 29 Sept. 2012
I always used to have trouble starting my 4-stroke lawnmower and rotavator if the petrol was more than a couple of weeks old. Using this product, I've been using the same can of petrol for several months now and they always start with very little effort. This saves me from having to go and get fresh petrol every time I want to mow the lawn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuel Additive, 10 Oct. 2012
I must admit that I am often somewhat sceptical about a product of this type but, as it came with a well respected name, I took a chance.

The product was delivered fairly quickly and very well packaged, so there were no leaks at all. I've added the required amount to my fuel storage can, so the fuel is always in good condition. Only time will tell if it is wholly successful, especially over the winter, but I have every confidence in this product. If you are thinking of buying this, do your homework and read the reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid insurance for your mower., 14 Aug. 2014
This is the second bottle of Fuel Fit I've bought, the first one was from a bricks and mortar retailer, but this year the were only offering the small shot sized bottles. I use over 10 litres of petrol each year in my motor driven push mower. Each cut takes about one hour, so across the seasons I expect a lot from it. 100ml will treat 10 litres of fuel, so this bottle is good for a couple of years supply. I was told that people use the single shot size to put in the tank to get the mower through winter, ensuring it will start next Spring. That seems like false economy to me, as unleaded fuel is notorious for 'going off' if left unused even for a relatively short time. Fuel Fit treated fuel will protect your motor all year round, keeping the carb clean and ensuring better economy and easy starting. Ive used it in the mower since new and its never missed a beat. Starts first or second pull. If you've ever cursed at a non-starting motor thats been left over winter, chances are that either the fuel in the tank or container you're using has 'gone off'*. Use Fuel Fit and this will be a thing of the past.

* For more info on what makes unload go stale over time just search for Fuel Fit on Youtube. And I'm just a happy customer, not connected with Briggs & Stratton.

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser. 992381