Format: DVD|Change

on 31 March 2010
We're three days away from the transmission of the first episode, "The Eleventh Hour", and I've heard all the ageist rubbish about Matt Smith. He is, and the only right choice to replace David Tennant as the Timelord.

I'm reviewing this now, and I think its right that these people see Matt Smith in action first, before making snap judgements. "The Beast Below", introduces show-runner, Steven Moffat's newest creations, The Smilers, and Mark Gattis's, "Victory Of The Daleks", marks Matt Smith's Doctor's first ever encounter with the terrifying pepperpots.

So there is so much to look forward to for Whovians. David Tennant will almost certainly be a hard act to follow, but Smith will stamp his own mark on the role as he is portaying the Timelord in his own style, and it will be an honest one, and the chemistry between Matt Smith, and Karen Gillan who plays Amelia Pond will be terrific too.

I fully trust Steven Moffat's judgement. The beginning of the Matt Smith era is almost here, AND IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!
1717 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2010
Sorry -but with the amount of time it took to stop the bomb - he had MORE than enough time to do both.

Absolutely silly.

promised so much - as I loved Power of the Daleks - but this was just rubbish.
on 29 March 2010
"I'm sure nobody really wants puerile fanboy prayers posted, it demeans the show and is misleading"

Glad you are so sure. This puerile fanman loves it. You don't like it don't read.

This shall be the best DW ever. End of.
on 29 May 2010
Oh dear. What started off as promising has gone wrong! very wrong! Matt Smith is terrible. He has to be one of the worst Doctors ever!! He has done the impossible!! Made the show worse. He is like a little child on the show. Nearly all the episodes of the Smith era aired have been dreadful. This actor needs to regenerate to someone decent soon.

Some peopl have asked for comments on the episodes on the disc. They are boring. Enough said
88 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2010
Series one, Matt Smith:
1. The eleventh Hour
2. The Beast Below
3. Victory of the Daleks
4&5. Time of Angels, (TBC), Flesh and Stone(TBC).
Also, the cybermen are back! roumors: The rani and Silurians could be returning, plus the Sea devils.
on 6 March 2010
This is gonna be a fab series. Firstly, new Doctor and new companion. Second, the return of the Daleks, as seen in the series trailer. It looks like they have changed. Then, the Weeping Angels are back. I'm not sure about the roumer the the Silitians have returned though. I hope this year's Doctor Who epesodes rock.
88 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2010
I'm reviewing this season purely on the strength of the first 2 episodes; if things pick up for episode 3 then stay consistent, I'll check back in and delete this review.

Put simply, I am very disappointed. I've never been a fan of the BBC Wales series, but it was clear that Moffat was the best writer on the show, and I was looking forward to seeing how the programme developed with him as show-runner.

To all those people who are already lavishing 5 star reviews on the episodes that have been broadcast so far, I can only conclude that they are incapable of any degree of objectivity. The series has been completely castrated on a dramatic level - there is no threat, no suspense, no raising of stakes, just relentless, contrived, story-less mulch. Matt Smith is doing his best (I prefer him to Tennant, but then Tennant was my least favourite Doctor ever so that's not saying much), but he's been poorly served so far.

At the moment I am showing my five year old son season 13 of the old show. He watches most of it from behind the sofa and it's firing his imagination incredibly. He sat staring blankly at the first two episodes of this new season and kept asking me when it was going to get scary. AFter a while it dawned on me that it wasn't going to, so I stopped telling him to wait and see.

Seriously folks, go and dig out your old VHS of Seeds of Doom, watch it then come back to this drivel. Hopefully your vision will snap into focus and you'll get a better handle on reality.
2424 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2010
Just finished watching a sneak preview of the series and let me tell you, OH MY GOD!

I wasn't sure whether the move to sitcom format would suit the show, but they managed to get the right balance between hilarity and super special effects.

I don't want to ruin the plot for anyone so I'll just say OUTRAGE GIANT CRABS SLAUGHTER RADISHES.
on 4 February 2010
yippee, another great series of doctor who featuring the return of the silurians, daleks, weeping angels and the mysterious River Song! i just cant wait..
1616 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2010
I am afraid David Tennant will be the one and only Doctor Who for me - which is amazing because I do remember most of them from my childhood. Matt Smith seems to be trying too hard to act and sound like 'David' - unsure if this is the writer/producer at fault, or the actor.
Matt is not convincing enough for me - I suppose he does have an impossible goal in my eyes to play the ultimate role, The Doctor. Even on 'The One Show' he gave his new Sonic Screwdriver to a presenter to play with. The real Doctor would never give his precious screwdriver to anyone other than his assistant. My 7yr old son picked up on that fact, not I!
I did enjoy the story line, however would have loved to see David Tennant run round the corner, claim his tardis, screwdriver and new assistant and zapped the imposter into a thousand pieces.
66 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse