5.0 out of 5 stars Nice. Buy one now..., 17 Aug 2011
Mr. J. Robertson (Kilmarnock, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seiko 5 Automatic SNZG17J1 (Watch)
I've wanted an automatic watch for some time and while I really like Omega, Rolex and the like they are far too expensive for me and not an option - given the hassle my brothers seem to have had with theirs I'm not particularly inclined to save up for one either.

I read a couple of reviews on this and decided to stump up the cash and buy the SNZG17J1. The SNZG17K1 is exactly the same watch but made in Korea. Unsurprisingly the 'K' version doesn't have the 'Made in Japan' on the dial!

The watch itself is actually bigger than expected and I'm quite pleased about that although the colour is more of a slate grey - gunmetal has been used in some descriptions - than black and while it looks good I would have preferred it darker. The mechanism can be seen through the glass back and it pretty neat. The strap needed adjusted to fit and I ended up taking three links out and it now fits quite snugly. I have no real idea of how accurate the watch is but so far but it seems fine. I don't really expect it to be on par with a good quartz watch - or even a mediocre one for that matter but that's not the reason I bought it: I like the sweeping motion of the second hand rather than the distintive jumps seen on a quartz analogue.

Value for money, this is hard to beat and other than being lighter in colour than expected I can't fault it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good watch., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Seiko 5 Automatic SNZG17J1 (Watch)
A good watch that sits on the wrist well, without looking too large. It is legible in reduced lighting, requires no winding nor battery changes, being an automatic movement and the finish is good.
The only gripe is that the link pins under the clasp are chrome, and shine from under the black bracelet, reducing the effect of the all black finish slightly.
Good value though.