5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on 8 Jun 2010 by David P. Daish

3.0 out of 5 stars Bye Jack: The final tick for 24
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by Mrs. Patricia Bain

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 8 Jun 2010
David P. Daish (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
I've followed 24 since it began, it has been one of the very few things on TV that I wouldn't miss! When Season 8 started, I was wondering how they could possibly top what had gone before. Well, I have to admit that the first hours of Season 8 were a disappointment. It lacked the pace, it was like the writers weren't really interested in it anymore. It also seemed as if budget cuts had seriously limited what they could do.

But I stuck with it in the hope that it would improve. It took a while but it certainly did! It appears to have really taken off about the time that it was decided that this would be the final season. The last 10 or so episodes showed 24 at its very best. Jack Bauer kind of "woke up" and the pace, action and excitement accelerated.

The last 4 hours in particular were exciting beyond words. It was really anyone's guess as to how they would end it. But when it came to the last hour, well, I have to say that this is without doubt the very best ending to any series that I have ever seen. It had me in tears!

It will be sadly missed, although I know a film is planned, it can never be the same. What I loved so much about the whole 24 production is that you never knew what would happen, not for sure. The bad guys got away with it, the good guys suffered, too much sometimes. But the Jack Bauer character was the most remarkable creation of all, a man who stuck to his principals whatever happened to him, he never sold out, he had rare integrity and honour and he simply didn't care how far he went to uphold all this.

I highly recommend this as compulsive viewing, TV writing at its very best. I have all the boxed sets of previous seasons and would recommend these highly as well.

There are only a handful of TV programs of any kind that I never tire of watching repeatedly, 24 is definitely one of them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bye Jack: The final tick for 24, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
The ending has come; Jack will no longer be frantically running around, defying hunger or the calls of nature. We have watched Mr Bauer experience pleasure and pain (usually the latter) yet save the day, all in the space of 24 hours. In Jack we have found a figure of masculinity for the modern age, someone who presents old fashioned toughness yet comes complete with an all too important touch of vulnerability and humanity, something very important in today's screen heroes.

What about season 8 as a whole? Well the first half I have to say seemed a relatively pedestrian affair. Granted the twists and turns were present and people were not who they appeared, but it seemed that they were re-cycling old ideas. The introduction of Cole, an admittedly likeable young agent, seemed too much of a throwback to the days of Chase from season 3... And don't get me started on Dana Walsh. Mid way during the season came the announcement that this was to be the final run of the show. Although I found myself thinking that, after a nine year stint, this was the right move by the writers as the show was certainly past its peak, I knew I simply had to follow it through to the bitter end.

I think its safe to say, to use an old cliché, that the writers definitely pulled out all the stops for the final few hours. For me, the turning point was episode 16, in which events suddenly moved in a generally unexpected direction. From then on, what was a fairly average season suddenly became a lot more intriguing. Jack, a character who has always been somewhat on the edge, suddenly seemed more determined yet more unstable than ever. Would he emerge unscathed or would he go out in a blaze of glory and conclude 24's long list of characters that have died in the line of duty?

The final itself was a fitting send off. I have to say that, as the final words were uttered followed by the 3,2,1,0 countdown I did find myself feeling a little nostalgic. As someone who was introduced to 24 fairly late on and caught up via the miracle of DVD, I nonetheless felt that this was the end of an era.

P.s. Rest in piece Dennis Hopper - one of the first onscreen adversaries for Mr Bauer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving the best until last, 26 Aug 2010
Mr. M. J. Johnson "matt1989" (Worthing, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
When I heard 24 had been axed I was disappointed but not surprised, as there had been rumours for a while. I did wonder if the ending could do such a great show justice and it most certainly did. The final few episodes were as gripping and adrenaline-fuelled as anything during the show's nine-year run and the audience are kept guessing right up until the final few minutes in what I would undoubtedly say was the best ending to a TV show I have ever seen.

Any long-time viewer had to wonder how Jack had not snapped and gone rogue before now, but here he finally does and it seems nobody can stand in his way as he seeks justice. These episodes give proof beyond doubt that Keifer was simply born to play Jack. It's hard to believe that there will not be another series but I will certainly never tire of watching the show on DVD.

Day 6 was arguably the weakest and while Day 7 had it's good and bad points, Day 8 is one of the best. It could even be argued that this final series even tops the brilliance of Day 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack stays on top form!, 17 Jan 2011
Mrs. L. Evans - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I had heard some adverse reviews about series 8 but being a die-hard Bauer fan I bought it and was not disappointed. After such a long-running series it must have been very difficult to find a good ending but they did!
Kiefer Sutherland has really made Bauer his own - his performance is so convincing it's hard to believe he is acting.
I really recommend this series and the quality of the blu-ray format is really good. I also enjoyed the extras. 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5/10/10, 5 Oct 2010
Mr. G. Schofield (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
What will we do now 24 is over ? I really rated this final season - it was excellent, up there I felt with seasons 1-4 which in my opinion were the best. If you've not seen season 8 yet I envy you as you are in for a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ending to the series, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
Since the action moved to a different city it was the right time to finish the series before it turned into CSI or NCIS and like earlier series it started off with a separate main plot and then Jack and his family, as with many other series, were drawn into and mixed up in the action.The difference this time is that there was a series of no-going-back plot twists this time so that any film would have to be a prequel to avoid being too close to the Bourne movies.

In addiction level terms it also deliberately doesn't hook you in straight away but by around episode 10, that's when the rollercoaster starts properly - well worth it, but of course the complete box set generally costs around 50 which is the only reason not to buy this box set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Apple Jack, 22 Nov 2012
Nat Whilk (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
New York City is the backdrop for Jack Bauer's eighth and final very, very bad day. With Mykelti Williamson presiding over the coolest CTU ever, the change of location refreshes the look of the show to great effect.

Many old allies and old adversaries return, but there are many new faces too: among them are Anil Kapoor from Slumdog Millionaire [Blu-ray], Freddie Prinze Jr from I Know What You Did Last Summer [Blu-ray] [1997] [US Import] (I imagine I'm the only fan of 24 who saw him in Scooby Doo: Live Action Movie [Blu-ray] [2002][Region Free]!) and Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [Blu-ray][Region Free]'s space-ace Starbuck. the redoubtable Katee Sackhoff.

There's no denying that one or two earlier seasons occasionally went a bit wobbly, but be reassured - the series's final offering is dramatically rock solid. The stunts are still stunning, the twists and turns still startle, the characters still convince and poor old Jack is still put through the emotional wringer. 24 concludes with a reasonable claim to be the most compelling, best crafted thriller ever made for the small screen.

The Blu-rays in this collection give us six episodes per disc in 1080p video and DTS HD Master Audio. I noticed one or two nocturnal scenes where the image was slightly grainy, but these added up to only a few seconds over the season's entire eighteen hours and were nowhere near troubling enough to spoil the edge-of-the-seat excitement. I never regretted paying a few pounds extra for the benefit of high-def over DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars The best and the worst of 24, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
Watch out for spoilers related to previous seasons if you haven't watched them all yet (no significant spoilers for season 8, though).

This is very much a season of two halves. Well, three thirds, actually; I'd say the first 8 and the last 8 episodes are very, very good - a few minor quibbles, but mostly the best we've come to expect from 24. Sadly, though, the other 8 episodes are absolutely awful, and embody everything that has been bad about the show's weaker seasons; for my money, these middle 8 episodes (or it could be episodes 8-15, or 10-17, I don't remember exactly) are as bad as 24 has ever been, with only the occasional redeeming moment.

For the time being, though, I'll jump to season 8's considerable positives. For a start, the Jack Bauer awesomeness quota is higher than ever, usually in scenes involving extreme violence (Jack guts someone with a fire-axe, Jack assaults an armed convoy single-handed, the list goes on). Let's face it, however much we may wring our hands at some of his more questionable methods, this is what most people have been tuning in for over the last decade.

The supporting characters, both old and new, are on good form too. Chloe is back, obviously, as are Renee and President Taylor from season 7. Cherry Jones is much better as Taylor this time round; in season 7, some of her moral dilemmas were played out in such ridiculously secondary-school-debate terms that I found it hard to take her seriously, but it's much more sincere this time - whether the writing is better or she's just more comfortable in the role is hard to tell. The return of Renee, who rather went off the deep end at the end of season 7, is interesting, as we get to see the human consequences of Jack's methods, her fragile psychological state illustrating the fact that not everyone can do what Jack does and hold it together. On top of the major players, there are also some good guest stars, most excitingly Michael Madsen and Anil Kapoor.

Finally, as befits a final season, there are some nice moments of closure towards the end, in amongst all the mayhem, in particular a beautiful scene between Jack and Chloe which made me well up a little bit.

But now for the negatives. Some are painfully predictable, including the fact that, like in all the other even-numbered seasons, the writers fall back on Muslims with nuclear material for the villains. So many plotlines from previous seasons are rehashed over the course of twenty-four episodes that you start generously to wonder if it was a deliberate attempt by the writers to make the final season some sort of greatest hits compilation for the show (I for one don't give them that much credit). There's a mole inside CTU, and CTU itself gets successfully attacked at one point; in keeping with my opening promise, I think it's fair to say that it's reached a point now where neither revelation counts as a spoiler at all. There's a moment after the traitor has been revealed when one of their co-workers berates themselves for not seeing it coming, having worked with them for however long, and Chloe says they all need to just put it behind them and get on with their work; I'm surprised her response wasn't more along the lines of "seriously, don't blame yourself, you'd be amazed how often this happens to us".

By far the biggest problem, however, which also marred season 6 and some parts of the otherwise very good season 7, is the fact that far too many plotlines rely on supposedly intelligent and competent people (including Jack himself, on at least one occasion) doing monumentally stupid things. In the earlier seasons the sense of danger came from the fact that Jack was up against extremely competent and/or powerful enemies, and the excitement came from seeing him eventually defeat them through his own skill (and that of his allies); take season 1, for example, where he's put in an impossible situation where he has to balance his moral duty and Palmer's life with the welfare of his abducted wife and daughter, or season 5, where the conspiracy reaches high enough that all sorts of powerful forces are mobilised against him. Now, though, it's as if the writers realise that they're in serious danger of Jack winning the day several episodes too early, and have to have a good guy do something really dumb to let a terrorist get away or whatever, and that kills any real tension or excitement; it's no longer, "how will Jack ingeniously overcome seemingly impossible odds?" but "who's going to screw up this time, and how?". I know that 24 is never going to be realistic, as such, but it should at least be plausible.

I can't really give a good example from season 8 without giving stuff away, so I'll use one from season 7. When President Taylor's husband is nearly killed by his treacherous Secret Service bodyguard, there are a couple of scenes where people back at the White House have conversations along the lines of "Where's the First Gentleman" - "I don't know, he isn't answering his phone and neither is Agent Thingummy". And then everyone sort of shrugs their shoulders as if to say "not to worry, I'm sure he'll turn up." I'm no expert on Secret Service procedure, but it seems to me that if Michelle Obama wasn't answering her phone and neither was her Secret Service detail, people would immediately assume something was wrong, and not just say "oh well, they probably all stopped in a tunnel for a couple of hours to take lunch", or something to that effect.

For all that, there's still a lot to like in season 8, and if you've watched all of the previous ones then you shouldn't be put off seeing it through to the end. While this may not be the glorious send-off we might have wanted for 24, it's probably the most fitting, summing up everything that's been good and bad about the show over the years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Usual 24 diet, 19 Mar 2011
Joachim O. (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
This is allegedly the final season for 24 with the very familiar structure of the plot line (given you have seen all other seasons) with an awful lot of scenes which don't really make sense. Like before, it all starts with a threat and you can expect usually three to four layers of conspiracy unfolding every 5 episodes or so. It is just not as thrilling any more as it was in the first season by comparison (which is still unmatched). This season had a few good moments and I think the last four episodes were the best ones. The quality of special effects is very good and the behind the scenes extras on the DVDs are more interesting than the show itself. R.I.P 24

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to its best., 12 Mar 2011
Amazon Customer (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 24 - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a die hard 24 fan, but even I have to admit it had lost its way since the excellent Season 5. 6 and 7 were increasingly ridiculous (even by 24's standards), 24 Redemption (to me) seemed a little lame and fairly pointless, and my hopes for this final season weren't high. How wrong I was...

The series this time moves to New York, and the main plot concerns a peace treaty between the US, Russia and a fictional Arab nation. Terrorists are determined to halt the treaty by assassinating the Arab President (a superb performance by Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor) before it is signed. Of course, there are the usual twists and turns (though -- thankfully -- nowhere near as many as in season 7), and inevitably the now-retired Jack is brought reluctantly back into the front line to save the day.

This isn't so much as a new 24, but a return to the old style. The tension builds slowly as the clock ticks; there is much more emphasis (like the old days) on creating tension than all out drama. Sure, (naturally) lots of dramatic things happen, but it just felt much more balanced, and less OTT than it had become -- like it used to be. That said, though, when things do get hot then it is as explosive and intense as ever. No spoilers, but the last 4 episodes in particular are as good as any season. It's up there with 5 for a breathtaking finale!...

The acting, again, is first class (especially the Arabian presidential family, and again Cherry Jones returning as President Taylor). A couple of old "friends" turn up during the course and really add to the drama. Kim is also in New York (but doesn't need rescuing this time around!) and Chloe is still struggling to sort out the muddles at CTU! Freddie Prinze Jr. is solid as the new lead CTU field agent Cole Cortez (a little similar to Chase in Season 3). There are a couple of goofy side plots (as always), but they don't detract from the strong central stories which develop (and nothing as bad as Kim's babysitting adventure!...)

Personally, my only quibble is (and it's more about the series as a whole than season 8) that I think they shouldn't have overused Nina Meyers in seasons 2 and 3. I think it would have been the perfect ending to the series if they had saved her showdown with Jack till the last act, bringing it full circle to a more natural conclusion. Other than that, this is one of my favourite series, and season 8 one of my favourite 24 seasons. I can't really separate it from 1 and 5 -- they are all brilliant in different ways. 3 was next best then 6, 2, 4 and 7. That's only my opinion, though!...

I'm sad that it has finished, but I'm glad it found it's form again before bowing out. Hopefully the film that is planned will be made... (Either that or they'll all miss it so much after a couple of years they'll do another season!)

24 - Season 8 [DVD]
24 - Season 8 [DVD] by Kiefer Sutherland (DVD - 2010)
22.99