5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Simplicity
Published on 12 July 2011 by D. Shadbolt

3.0 out of 5 stars bigger than expected
hi all, i didnt have time to try out the game yet, so i cant say much about how hard/easy it is. However it is bigger than expected, i was though it was some pocket toy to bring during long travels or something such as that but it measures over 15cm, that would build up with the box making it too bulky for travels; it would be cool to have a Nintendo DS adaptation of this...
Published on 1 Aug 2011 by Stefano Gandolfo

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Simplicity, 12 July 2011
D. Shadbolt (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
I bought this before going on a family holiday to the outer Hebrides, where the weather meant that most of our evenings were spent indoors - we had a bunch of teenagers in the group who, it turned out, became totally absorbed with it night after night. The concept is so simple that anyone with an inkling of how to play chess can pick it up in moments, and being a 'cut down' version of the game, the solutions can take only a few moments to solve (or not, as they get harder...!) which means that it can be really engaging - I found that members of the group who were not frequent chess players did surprisingly well, coming up with solutions when the rest of us were scratching our heads, which really gave an inclusive feel to the whole thing. Although some of the solution cards did get a little battered by the end of the holiday (might have been better if they had been printed on plastic card), the build quality overall is adequate and quite clever in the way that all the pieces and the cards fit into the box. Overall I rate this game very highly and reckon its inventors should get a medal for coming up with something so brilliantly simple - go buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars solitaire chess, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
Great game for children who might enjoy learning to play chess. Sturdy board/box, nice chunky pieces. Educational too in problem solving, spatial awareness, consequential thinking, etc. Bought one for a nine year old boy, then bought one for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A present for me for Christmas..., 14 Nov 2014
lightdove (West Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
As I live alone, I no longer get the chance to play board games so I originally went looking for a chess challenger. I'd played on a chess challenger before, but the damn thing used to cheat and it always won even at idiot level so I was wary about buying another. Plus I like playing Chess but am not terribly good at it as I have Dyscalculia (the numbers version of Dyslexia) and have a problem thinking through numbers and moves in my head. Straight away I found this, Solitaire, which seemed to be exactly what i was looking for and I have not been disappointed. This is such a well thought out game and works for any level of player from beginner to adept. It comes in a nice & equally thought out plastic box, with the pieces in their own little box underneath the actual board, along with a plentiful number of double sided cards to work through. It is also the sort of game you could play over and over again because you won't remember any of your conclusions (unless you've got a photographic memory that is.) Another plus is that of wanting to learn chess but feeling intimidated by the complexity of moves required by each piece. Therefore this a great way of practicing for playing Chess with a partner. It can also be played by a bright ten year old or even perhaps a little younger. So from beginner to adept this game embraces the whole range.I started playing with it straightaway and I am really having fun with it. it certainly gives the brain a good work out. I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed with this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but 2010 set is not as compact as the 2013 version, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
Great game, but 2010 set is not as compact as the 2013 version (item number 83400). The 2010 version has a cumbersome plastic board with challenge cards to slot in. The 2013 version has a neat little spiral bound book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, great design, well made, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
Very impressed with the great design and how well made set is. Nephew loves chess, and though knew most of the challenges, he loved playing each one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
If you have a child who likes chess, this is the present for him/her! It is a real challenge to kids and there are so many puzzles that the child will be playing others well before he or she runs out of puzzles

4.0 out of 5 stars Solitaire Chess, 6 Mar 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
My Son loved this. A budding chess genius, aged 8, he was able to work through the different problem levels to increase his skill at chess. Although this is used for children in our house, it would be useful for anyone learning chess who wishes to improve their game on their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well made for the price, maybe not one for the experts?, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
Extremely well made and a good size make this exceptional value for money. Some have commented that it is not as portable as conventional travel sets, which it isn't. But worth the effort and perfect with the children when sitting around the table in a hotel bar or in the tent, if not for in the car. I think it would be great to help beginners learn the moves and to think about planning moves ahead, something I never did and remained at best a very average player. The increase in the level of difficulty is overcome, at least in my case so far having just reached the start of the advanced series, by identifying the single piece that will become isolated and concentrating on what can take it at and so determining the opening move, and the rest falling in to place. I am not sure that particular skill is applicable in a proper game of chess, or how challenging or entertaining the expert challenges would be to a good chess player. For me, as a long lapsed player of notable mediocrity, it is fun and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any age, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
A very good way to start to learn chess, I surprised myself. The instructions are very clear no need to read through pages of notes before you can get started. Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent game, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Solitaire Chess Game (Toy)
Another high quality game from the thinkfun people. I love the shape and size of the chess pieces. I first came across this game as an app on my phone and loved it so wasnt sure if it would be as much fun but it is. I also love Traffic jam by thinkfun. Understanding of Chess not required. The only reason I give it a score of 4 is the clip to keep the cards inplace is fiddley and not very good at doing its job so as a result the card fall out and get scattered by my younger children. I also think that its only a matter of time before clip gets lost as it is not attached to the box. So thinkfun really need to Think of a solution please. Other than this its a game for anyone 6-100 years old. My kids and husband love it too.

Solitaire Chess Game