4.0 out of 5 stars I dare you to read this on public transport.
Published on 12 Jan 2008 by Karen

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh
Published on 11 May 2011 by Kelsey

4.0 out of 5 stars I dare you to read this on public transport., 12 Jan 2008
The first half of this book is the usual straight-up smutty breed schtick. Lashings of hotness plus a high embarrassment factor because the main couple seem to do it in company. Although neither Simon nor Stephanie are likely to be in the least offended by anything they witness. But as a reader, I certainly felt like cringing. Which is ridiculous really because reading romances is all about the reader witnessing intimate acts between the main couple.

However. Suddenly at the half-way mark. Amazingly. I realised that I actually liked the main couple, Kiowa and Amanda. Her. Because she naturally protests at giving up what she thinks are her dreams of the future. While Kiowa tells her that she justs needs to adapt those dreams. And I like him because of what he said when he was eleven years old. `I have a soul, I always did.' After all the years of his grandfather telling him he had none. Also. Apart from being the daughter of a fictional president, Amanda is totally normal. Well. Sort of. A 24-yo virgin who knows she likes giving head.

In theory. Kiowa is an `evil Coyote breed' although he wasn't raised by the cruel scientists in the labs. Just had a completely loveless childhood courtesy of a cold grandfather. But like all the breed males, such experiences haven't made him bitter and twisted. With another author Kiowa could have become a mother-hating psycho-killer. But with this series I am secure in the knowledge that Breed males are generally very sociable...even Kiowa has friends. I liked Kiowa a lot. I totally felt the pain of his early days.

So basically. This novel is all about how Amanda particularly comes to terms with mating with Kiowa. And all that entails. Poor woman. Unfortunately Amanda also reveals that essentially she is tstl. She forgets about the goons that kidnapped her, the chopper shooting at her n Kiowa and justs heads out to `escape' from her protectors. On the other hand. I have also in my life cut off my nose to spite my face. At least in Lora Leigh novels it all comes good in the end. So I forgive Amanda. None of us are perfect. The other thing I would say about Amanda is that she could have shown a bit more gentleness to Kiowa. In particular, when he was showering, she could have soaped him up nicely. He would have appreciated that I'm sure.

Like I said. There are a few totally cringe-making scenes in the story. The oral in the SUV scene, the scene with Amanda in the gynae-chair. And one completely outrageous scene featuring a knife. Which I didn't personally find erotic at all. But it was interesting to read through. Nice to see some variety in the hotness too. All very entertaining. Not for the faint-hearted though.

This novel is exactly what a good series romance should be like. A fairly simple plot that is a sexy, interesting, not too long a read. With a couple of flawed scenes thrown in.

Specially for the british...this novel features; explicit language, anal, ropes, implements....and the weird weird offensive world of the Breeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coyote, 17 Jan 2010
On the storyline, there is not much more that I can add that has not already been mentioned by the previous reviewer.

I would only add that the name of the publisher gives away the type content to expect from "Ellora Cave", they publish really graphic sex scenes in all their books. I have never read a single book of theirs that did not have explicit scenes.

I enjoy Lora Leigh books and this one is no different from the others. Her stories are nearly always well written, imaginative and adult in content. Don't buy a Lora Leigh Novel and then be surprised that there is sex in the book...its never going to happen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul Deep by Lora Leigh, 29 Aug 2010
Sorry can't add more regarding the story than what has already been said above! But I will say Lora Leigh delievers yet again, never get tried of reading her books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, 11 May 2011
I ordered and read this book based on Amazon reviews. I never thought that Amazon reviews would do me wrong...but they did. Big time! I've read a lot of romances but I've never read a romance with such blatant and repetitive crude language. In nearly every paragraph the words P*ssy and C*nt are repeated multiple times as the only description for the sexual intimacy between the two main characters. The author--who I'm convinced is really a man based on the language and plot, which I will get to in a minute--didn't seem to have a very diverse vocabulary.

The plot makes me believe the author has a grudge against women. The premise is that when the heroine (Amanda) gets kissed by the hero (Kiowa a coyote breed) a chemical invades her body and makes her go into heat for the hero. If she refuses to have sex with him her body will become increasingly uncomfortable until the point of debilitating pain. Only when she gives in and has sex with the Kiowa does the pain go away, only to start the process all over again. Also, if the Amanda is touched by another man besides Kiowa she feels excruciating pain, even if the other man is only trying to help her.

The amount of pain Amanda goes through throughout the book is disturbing. The lack of communication and intimate connection between the two main characters is irritating and unromantic. The hero really doesn't care about Amanda's pain throughout the story, and often threatens her when she doesn't cooperate. Plus, when Amanda is drugged into having sex with Kiowa for the first time she's a virgin! But she acts like a pro, and afterward doesn't mention it or even think about her drug induced lost virginity, which was more like rape since she was tied up at the time and out of her head. The whole thing is skipped over and forgotten, and (Hello!) losing your virginity is a huge deal.

Another thing I just couldn't swallow (hehe =^-^=) is the fact that Amanda is the daughter of the president of the United States of America but her language is as crude as the authors. I guess the author just couldn't separate himself from a prissy, rich, virgin female.

Never does Amanda and Kiowa act like they love, like, or can even tolerate each other, Oh, except when Amanda is in horrific blinding pain from not getting her sex on. There was absolutely no romance and I really hated the fact that Amanda never had a choice, she didn't invite the kiss that sealed her fate, and if she doesn't stay with Kiowa she'll die from pain.

This book definitely felt like a male's fantasy: There's no way Amanda could ever cheat on him because she'd experience only pain, Kiowa can touch other women whenever he wants without pain, and Amanda has to have sex with him weather she wants to or not.

In the end the story is poorly patched up with the main characters somehow deciding that they like each other, but I never got it, and I wish I could wipe the whole thing from my memory.

Soul Deep (Breed Book 5)