5.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome masterpiece from the Scorpions!!
Published on 29 Mar 2010 by Joy

2.0 out of 5 stars POOR PACKING
THE PACKING WAS VERY POOR.
ONE OF THE CORNER WAS BADLY BEND AND THE COVER NO LONGER VALUABLE.
IT IS NOW WORSE THAN MANY USED VINYLS THAT I HAVE PURCHASED.
Published 9 months ago by jasonemj

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another awesome masterpiece from the Scorpions!!, 29 Mar 2010
Joy (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
I don't know where to start with this review. First I want to say that I can't believe a band this awesome will not be making any other albums after this. I just couldn't believe it when I read about it. Bands like Scorpions need to be around and make true rock music! We need this more than ever!! It's so heartbreaking to know this. I really hope they will change their minds and continue on.

Also, I have to say that I really love the album cover, it's so creative!

Now on to the review. I won't review every song but one main point that needs to be mentioned first is the guest appearance of the Finnish symphonic metal singer Tarja Turunen (Nightwish), in the song "The Good Die Young." When I first read she was featured on this song, before I even heard the album, you have no idea how excited I got and I downloaded that song immediately before buying the entire album. I even got a radio edit version, it's such an amazing and beautiful ballad that has such incredible musicianship. I only wish Tarja sang lyrics but to just hear her vocalizing in the background is so awesome!! I love how Tarja is working with artists like Doro Pesch and Scorpions lately, whom of all I love! The other ballads are amazing as well, like "Lorelei" and "Sly."

The rockers are so amazing as well! "No Limit" is probably my favorite rocker on here, it really rocks and it's an awesome song to listen to while driving! I just love this album so much and cannot recommend it enough! It really sounds so 80's and any Scorpions fan should be getting it!! The vocals, the music itself, everything is more than worth the purchase!! Please don't hesitate to buy it!! There's not one song on here that I don't love!

This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
What a way to finish your career. Scorpions really they have to reconsider their decision because here we have a great rock masterpiece. I am sure this album will become a Gold album, no questions asked.
This album features the amazing 80's rock vide and it boroughs a few heavy elements from their previous album (Humanity: Hour I). Anyway here is the album in more detail:

"Raised On Rock": A great catchy rock song and a great opener of this album. For this song Scorpions brought back the sound of the 80's that every one of us loves. Great vocal performances and also check out the guitar solo, it will make you do air guitar. Once this song finishes you will be singing the chorus all day long.

"Sting In The Tail": The title song of the album. Another great rock anthem, with this song you will be "what a blast from the past". An amazing guitar riff opener and the vocals are at a higher pitch when compared to normal Scorpions standard. The bass guitar is one with the drums. This one will make you sing all the time "Hey, hey the sting in the tail".

"Slave Me": This song is slightly heavier that the two previous. It features great lyrics, such as: "When I die I'll go to Heaven, If life is living Hell". Great Scorpions type chorus. This is not as catchy as the other two, but it is still great. This one features the elements of the 80's and the 00's rock. Great combination of the two elements and Scorpions managed to produce a great song.

"The Good Die Young": Here Klaus used throughout the song his dark voice which will give you shivers. Also Scorpions here at this teamed up with Tarja (ex-Nightwish), and she is delivering amazing background vocals. This song features tempo changes from slow to a bit faster and then it drops down again. Amazing band performance and it will be to play this one live. Finally pay attention at the chorus, Klaus is making the song very moving!

"No Limit": This one is the heaviest song of the album. It is as heavy as "321" and "The Cross" found on the previous album (Humanity: Hour I). This one will make you head-bang and it is the best song to get a speeding ticket. Great drumming, matching the guitars amazing guitar solos. Simply this is the definition of "Scorpions".

"Rock Zone" and "Spirit of Rock": Well the titles are doing the talking here. We are taking about rock songs that got raised from the 80's and they both sound fresh as well.

"Lorelei": The first ballad of the album. It features the mixture of classic and electric guitars. This song stands up to songs like "Still Loving You", "When You Came To My Life" and "When The Smoke Is Gone" and it is as good. This one has the typical Scorpions love lyrics. Great song and once again this is the definition of Scorpions ballads.

"Turn You On": Back to the rock anthems, get ready for some air guitar again. This song will make you grab the album "Blackout" and it after this song is done. It is impossible to pick a specific great part. All the musicians are playing their shocks off.

"Sly": The second ballad of the album. This one is very close to the "Still Loving You" song, and it features the same ups and downs as "Still Loving You". Yet again here we have another great ballad. Klaus is making the song very emotional with his voice. This also features love lyrics. Great stuff!

"The Best Is Yet To Come": What a way to close a great rock album. Another ballad done amazingly , Scorpions way! This will become their new ballad anthem when they perform live.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great way to end, 16 April 2010
David Gahan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
This album is brilliant, the songs are catchy and the ballads are as good as ever. Ive listened to this album about 7 times from start to end since I got it 2 days ago and I'm still not bored.
Raised on Rock - 10/10 this is an amazing opener for an album, great guitar riff which sounds very much like "rock you like a hurricane".
Sting in the tail - 8/10 title track and it sounds great.
Slave me - 8/10 one of the heaviest on the album.
The good die young - 9/10 another brilliant song one of my favourite songs on the album.
No Limit - 7/10 possibly the weakest track on the album but I'm giving it 7 because its still a good song this is the heaviest on the album.
Rock zone - 8/10 catchy song once I'd listened to it a couple of times.
Lorelei - 9/10 brilliant classic scorpions ballad song.
Turn you On - 10/10 absolute brilliant song, I think air guitar if they play this live.
Lets rock! - 8/10 this is really catchy after a few listens.
SLY - 9/10 Classic slow scorpions love song Klaus' voice is great on this.
Spirit of rock - 9/10 you can almost feel the album is coming to an end, a very uplifting song, quite heavy aswell but the lyrics "In the spirit of rock we never die" feels like a message scorpions are trying to put out.
The best is yet to come - 10/10 This is my favourite on the album the last and the end to the scorpions, it has everything, Catchy, great guitar and the best is the lyrics which I think are the best scorpions love lyrics, "through the highs and lows" it seems Scorpions can really put out a great song that can end their career with the best words "The Best Is Yet To Come" and I'm sure their tour is going to be the best.
This whole album deserves an overall 5* because it is Scorpions last and they will be remembered.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a way to finish your career, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sting In The Tail [VINYL] (Vinyl)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, but not great, way to end a legend, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
The 1990'S as very cruel to the scorps and they proceeded to produce a series of bad to worse albums but in 2004 Unbreakable found the band of firm ground. A special guest slot on Priests tour confirmed they were still the greatest live band ever and I've seen them on 5 occasions recently and each time they've been incredible. Humanity Hour 1 continued the upward curve, a great album and their best since Love at First Sting so A Sting in the Tail has alot to live up to. Things start of quite nicely with the cheesy but anthemic Raised on Rock. The guitars sound processed (those pesky men at Line 6!) but the production has a rerto modern feel and the drums are big and bold. As always, Klaus Meine is peerless, and delivers his usual classic vocal. Tracks 2 and 3 are less assured. They have some good riffs but dont fully work. The Good Die Young is next up and finally the band find some of the Humanity vibe with the kind of big production number that we have come to expect from the Scorps. This higher plane continues through the next few tracks with the exception of Rock Zone, which is basiclally fairly crap and too throw away.The ballad SLY is very beautiful and Spirit of Rock is a really cartchy ditty that fills you with good vibes.

The album finishes with The Best is Yet To Come which as this is their last ever album, it seems very poigant. And there lies the conundrum. This is a good album but has a little too many fillers and lame lyrics with Rock in the title but at the same time it has some great tunes and I'm loving many aspects of it. As a a swan song, perhaps we should have hoped for more but at the same time perhaps the Scorpions have come to the conclusion that, at 60 + and after 16 studio albums, they have drained their creative resources. This album, like the last, has a lot of co writers and you get the sense that the band are fighting for every inch of the material.

In conclusion it has 4 killer ballads, 2 top rockers, 2 good rockers, 2 fillers and 2 naff songs so its a cautious thumbs up form me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Stinging., 28 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
Fantastic send-off from the teutonic heroes of metal. The album is hard, heavy, & melodic. Highlights include, 'NO LIMIT', 'RAISED ON ROCK' 'TURN YOU ON', 'LORELEI'...think CRAZY WORLD MEETS 1984's LOVE AT FIRST STING with a slight modern twist. This is pure SCORPIONS, don't expect an overnight sensation, this album takes time to grow, but in my eyes this is a sign of it's quality. Is it their best? No, is it worth it, ABSOLUTELY. It's a stronger record than Humanity or Unbreakable and probably their best since FACE THE HEAT. Buy IT, love IT and GET STUNG.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME !!!, 20 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
What can I say I can't believe that Scorpions want to end it all after this album they have still got so much more musical tallent to give.
A great mix of ballads and rockers. The ballads Lorelei, SLY and The Best is Yet to Come are all amazing as good as all Scorps ballads. My favourite would have to be SLY Klaus' voice just sounds fantastic in this song.
Raised on rock and Sting in tail are two awesome rockers which show that the Scorps still have their sting.
The mid tempo track The Good die Young is very powerful and gives out a deep messege. The guitar work is very haunting and will give you chills.
Over a great album highly recomended for all Scorpions fans !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant band, a brilliant finale, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
What a great album! The first three songs are awesome with great hooks and that classic Scorpions sound. Then the album goes stratosphere with The Good Die Young, my favourite Scorps song since most of Love At First Sting! Such a brilliant hook, with the most addictive luscious guitar to accompany it.
The rest of the album is almost at the same standard. Final track The Best Is Yet To Come seems to be gaining excellent reviews all over the place, although it's far from my favourite on the album. It is growing with each play though, so maybe it'll be my favourite soon?
Some good ballads too. Scorpions always do awesome ballads and these fit in nicely with the existing ones.

It's a shame they are calling it a day after this album. Their output of late has been so impressive. Considering that most bands that have been around as long as the Scorps have long since been doing retro/past glories shows for some time it is credit to the guys that they have continued to evolve (and improve) throughout their career.

Thank you for the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a return to form, 23 April 2010
G. Gibb "gibby" (west lothian) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sting In The Tail (Audio CD)
Short and sweet this album is a quality retun to form for The Scorpions i thought years ago that it would be highly unlikley for me to go buy another scorp's albulm yet along feeling i need to review one and let others know how good it is.Like a said short and sweet GO BUY THIS CD YOU WILL ENJOY EVERY TRACK ON IT.(not sure about them splitting up now)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sting In The Tail
Sting In The Tail by Scorpions (Audio CD - 2010)