4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably fresh album from a 40 year veteran, 31 July 2005
Joseph V. Zizza "An American transplant" (Peterborough, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
After the first few Robin Trower albums in the seventies, most of his recordings were patchy, with standout tracks making the rest seem much weaker by comparison. This album is different. In Davey Pattison, Trower has found a vocalist worthy of the shoes of the great James Dewar. Not flawless, but strong and convincing, especially on One Less Victory and Ain't Gonna Wait. Trower is powerful and restrained, his trademark subtlety very much in evidence and his solos short and pointed until he lets go on the last track. A few tracks, notably the title track, fall short of the quality of the others, but on balance Trower's songwriting, particularly his lyrics, reflect his maturity and life experience. At 60, most rock guitarists are well past their prime, recycling past successes and becoming what amounts to a nostalgia act. Robin Trower has produced here an album that stands as one of his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats Your Name? Answer ROBIN TROWER, 29 May 2005
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
Having listened to RT's last album Go My Way, (which if anyone out there who likes RT I suggest you go out and buy it immediately) I was left waiting in great anticipation as to what the next album would sound like. I myself saw Go My Way as a very hard album to follow, and upon reading about the line up that was going to be on the new album Living Out Of Time, I must admit I was very much put off as it was the same line up that RT had for the albums Passion and Take What You Need, which to me are very mediocre albums, and not of the same blood that robin has flowing through his veins, so to speak. Especially as Go My Way had an excellent line up, and after the very sad departure of James Dewar Go My Way seemed to me like the future for RT. But after purchasing Living Out Of Time, to which I must say, I was weary at the time due to the line up, I must say I am most impressed.

The album Living Out Of Time certainly lives up to its name, so much that after hearing this album a good 2 or 3 times this album reminds me of what Robin was trying to achieve years ago, with the 2 albums Caravan To Midnight and In City Dreams, but he failed in some area's of both them albums. I would like to turn back time back to the 70's and swap both of them albums and replace them with this very tasty album Living Out Of Time.

I have all of RT's albums, and i can honestly say that Living Out Of Time is a big must for anyone who likes RT. And even if you have never heard of him, I suggest you start with this album, because it is well and truly Robin back to himself. A particular track on the album to watch out for is track 4 Sweet Angel, which is really a remake of Lady Love with different lyrics, and a smoother style of play. Years ago I would not give tuppence for this way of copying what as already been done, but on this occasion Robin as executed it very well. I don't know what the singer has been doing since the Take What You Need album, but he is fantastic on this album, and certainly the best replacement for the sadly lost Jimmy Dewar.

A special note for all those very old Trower fans like myself, who unfortunately stopped following him way back when we hit the 80's. I suggest you go and buy Living Out Of Time and Go My Way, also another fine album made in 1994, entitled 20th Century Blues. These albums are up with the class of Twice Removed From Yesterday and Bridge Of Sighs. Go on, and put yourself back into the world of a truly remarkable musician, to which Robin certainly is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning masterpiece from the unsung guitar legend, 24 Jan 2004
D. Morgan "mogg101" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
General comments first , then a rating for each track.
This album is a staggering achievement and definitely rates as one of, or even RT’s best ever. Unusually, the guitar work is mainly
understated (most notable exception being the title track - more of that later) and that's why it complements the material and is exactly
right. One thing that really shines through most of the material is the quality of the songwriting and arrangements, both lyrics and music.
I believe this album has the most consistently fine lyrics of any RT album. Other than the first two tracks and maybe 'you came back', which are still good and not merely 'fillers', the songs are up with the best of RT’s career.
The band is probably the tightest incarnation in the history of the RTB. This rhythm section could replace the engine of a Dodge Viper. The drumming, especially on 'sweet angel' and 'LOOT' is a revelation.
I've always thought RT's stuff has worked best with a meatily big backbeat (anyone remember Reg Isodore), coupled with precise and not over embellished fills. This enhances the ethereal nature of many of the guitar sounds and gives that nice spacey feel. In tandem with this, the bass is perfect. Mainly kept in the lower register to fill out the sound, again clearly enhances the type of material. I think the reason many Trower/Bruce tracks didn't work for me was that the basslines were too much in the high register and too 'fussy' for RT's
style of material and playing. That’s not detracting from Mr. Bruce’s talents, he’s one of the prime bass stylists in Rock and one of my favourites. Having said that, 'Fall in Love' doesn't suffer from this and is certainly the business on 'Truce'.
And finally the vocals. Without doubt Davey Patison's best ever, he clearly relished these classy songs and it certainly shows. Particular highspots are 'Another time, Another place', 'One less victory',
'Sweet angel' (Ladylove for the new Millennium), ‘I want to take you with me’ and of course ‘LOOT’. OK, he will always be no.2, but when you look who’s no.1, that’s not too bad at all is it.

Here are my ratings for each track :-
What's your name - 7/10 – Above average opening rocker.
Step into the sun - 7/10 – RT really pumping on the acoustic 12 string rythym.
Another time, another place - 10/10 - First track that really gets your attention. Superb understated soloing, within a delicious bluesy framework. The song builds gloriously with ever increasing weight of phat strat chordings that no one but RT can achieve.
Sweet angel - 8/10 - In a nutshell, 'Ladylove' re-visited, which is no bad thing. To me, the guitar tones have a real BOS quality and feel. Delicious soloing.
Please tell me - 8/10 - Single material. Wicked wah wah intro. Great chorus.
One less victory - 10/10 – Another majestic highpoint. Fantastic arrangement and lyrics. Achingly beautiful song with a haunting Uni-vibe solo.
Ain't gonna wait - 9/10 – Gorgeous vocal phrasing and intricate rythyms. Another superb song with inspirational drumming.
LOOT - 10/10 - Sensational. Classic RT. Victims Of The Fury feel to it, only better. The band firing on all 12 cylinders. 'I don't want for you to black and blue me' - what a line. When I first fired this cut up from the website, it knocked me off my feet – stunning.
The past untied - 8/10 - Very hendrixy feel. Reminded me of Little Wing and Angel.
You still came back - 6/10 – The only average song on the album.
I want to take you with me - 10/10 – Very, very special closing track, 11 minutes never passed so quickly. Echoes of ‘Benny Dancer’ only soooooo much better. There’s talk that this album will be RT’s last – let’s not let it be, but if it was, there could not be a more fitting final song. Drums and bass are immense. The outro is a journey through the quantum space and science of RT’s scintillating technique. It’s incredible, it never sounds the same with each listen – he IS the one and only.
For me, at the moment, LOOT is at no.2 in my all time RTB albums. The
list comprising :-
1 Bridge Of Sighs
2 LOOT
3 Twice Removed From Yesterday / Long Misty Days
4 Go my way
5 Caravan to Midnight
Finally, it would be a crime never to hear this material performed live, by a band such as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The latest from the other great English axe-slinger, 13 Jan 2004
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
I came late to Robin Trower, because I believed those who dismissed him as a Hendrix copyist. A listen to this latest offering once again proves not only that Trower is a man with his own distinctive sound, but also that his sound is one of the most powerful and magnificent there has ever been. But there is more to this album than great guitar playing. Perhaps one of the less recognised aspects of Trower is his songwriting and here he is at the top of his craft. Simple, evocative songs that provide the perfect vehicles for that majestic sound and - when he chooses to take it - for his glorious soloing ability. As a guitar freak, I must say there is not enough soloing on this album - which is unusual for Trower, who has always been willing to take extended solos in the studio, unlike many more widely recognised axe-men (including that Hendrix fellow) - but throughout the sound is compelling, the playing is superb and the band delivers on every cut. For me, though, the stand-out track is the last ("I Want To Take You With Me") because it is here that Robin takes us with him into a gloriously understated series of choruses that ranks alongside any I have heard. Rumour has it that this could be the last Trower album, which makes the title all the more poignant. In a world that loves to classify and categorise rather than judge objectively, Robin Trower has unstintingly pursued his love of his instrument and its unlimited tonal possibilities. Maybe one day the rest of us will catch up with his boundless vision. Until then, if you love rock music, buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Great, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Living Out Of Time (Audio CD)
I don't know if the original was as good as this as i have only had a download.But this 2013 issue is very nice and i am hearing some lovely sounds from all the band that i haven't heard before. Remastered very well and pleasing to the ear. my favourite track from this album has always been " i want to take you with me".

5.0 out of 5 stars I believe in magic !!, 24 Feb 2004
R. Martin "trowerhead" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
How does Robin pull so much beautiful music from one instrument? YES !! I believe in magic....................... I can't believe however I am lost for words to describe this album. Words like awesome, fantastic, superb, dynamic all are meaningless and fall short of the mark. The passion Robin has for his music was never so evident than it is here. LOOT sits up there with Long Misty Days, Victims Of The Fury and Bridge Of Sighs. Just let that guitar take you all the way with it on the closing track. I Want To Take You With Me..... I'm gone! Davey Pattison never sounded so good. Dare I say it? but a few similarities to Jimmy Dewar comming through on this disc. Another Time, Another Place reaches deep down into your soul and finds a way of lifting you gently to another plain delivering you into the arms of a Sweet Angel.
Do yourself a favour and buy this disc. NOW !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to his best, 15 Feb 2005
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
I bought this album at the same time as 'In the line of fire' and played the latter first, which was a little disappointing. I was thinking, "oh no, RT's time in the USA has led him to sell out to 'pap-elevator-rock' etc". But no; LOOT has RT delivering his infectious blend of blues styled rock that characterised one of the greatest albums of all time 'Bridge of Sighs'. In the 70's this guy inspired me to first pick up the guitar and play - he has come back home with this album and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to hear the true RT, but brought up to date for 2004.

5.0 out of 5 stars Criminally underated guitarist, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
Having literally just finished playing this CD for the first time, all I can say is that it's like going back 20 odd years to the days of "Bridge of Sighs". On the basis of this RT can still play and the vocals are also excellent.

It's a terrible shame that RT is still so underated he is NOT a Hendrix clone but a world class rock/blues guitarist, who can still play even now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic is in the new mix, 17 April 2005
This review is from: Living Out of Time (Audio CD)
I'm a big Robin Trower fan and bought this album direct from his website when it first came out. To be honest I was a bit disappointed. The songs weren't that catchy and seemed to blend into each other. Nothing stood out. Subsequently, I bought the remixed version (Manhaton Records - the one with the picture of RT playing guitar on the cover) and was completely bowled over. David Bronze's mix makes the album louder and brighter with separation between the instruments. It sounds fantastic and has revealed the songs to be first rate and varied; every bit as good as Go My Way. By contrast the original mix was muddy and dull. So if you bought that, don't be put off. Buy the remix and treat yourself to two sets of artwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Living Out Of Time (Audio CD)
Some great playing , like him a lot , always comes up with the goods .

Living Out Of Time