on 12 February 2011
My 88 year old Mother has problems with recurring UTI Infections. A delay in over 1 week, in getting a urine sample analysis result back from the doctors, allowed a severe infection to become established and my Mother being too weak to get out of bed....
After discussing how to prevent this happening again, with my Mothers Community Matron, I purchased these test strips. They give an easy way to identify that a UTI infection (Or other abnormality) is present, so that prompt advice and treatment can be administered...

The test is simple to perform.... The test strip is dipped in the urine sample. The "dipped" stick is then compared against a colour chart which is provided on the container... After about 30 to 60 seconds any abnormality can be seen by identifying the colour changes from the "normal" base colours. An instruction leaflet is provided in the pack but a discussion with a trained medical person, as to what abnormalities to look for, depending on the medical problem you wish to monitor, is essential.. Prompt treatment for the condition can then be prescribed by the appropriate medical professional...
11 comment| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2011
As a retired Community Nurse,I have been used to handling Urinalysis sticks a lot.I was really pleased to find that they are available so quickly through Amazon, as they are a really useful tool to highlight a possible urine infection.
on 11 March 2013
The strips showed my dog had a urine infection. Took him to the vet for meds. I don't have to get up at 3am now to let him out... I thought it was his age !
on 22 August 2013
These could prove to be a life saver in the long run.. If nothing else, the sticks are reassuring checks, but I find that they do highlight warnings of irregularities that are worth talking to a GP about.
on 31 January 2013
Always keep these in my 'veterinary cupboard'. Have 5 dogs and 2 cats. Easy read out for checking urine, much cheaper than taking a sample to the vets. Always found then very accurate.
on 16 August 2013
I use these mainly to test urine ph and ketones. They work a treat, are very easy to use and to read the results. Will definitely buy them again.
on 30 January 2012
Seriously. I stopped worrying about the health of my liver kidneys and other innards the minute I did this test and realised that despite my errant ways, Im as fit as a butcher's dog. I only suffer from GUILT. Quick, cheap and easy to use.
on 2 August 2013
come in handy for checking your own urine if you suffer kidney probs and uti,s as i do alot handy to have in the home
on 10 March 2014
i am a nurse and bought these to test my father who suffers from infections and i have used many brands of test stick professionally and privately. despite following instructions the colours run and invalidate the results. wouldnt purchase again
on 18 June 2016
This set, along with the urine sample tubes were invaluable in helping my Nan in law to find out that she had a uti even when the doctors had not tested her for it.

She is now presently in hospital but on the mend thanks to this kit. There are 100 strips in here. The full instructions are included and the colour comparison chart is on the bottle.

What I didn't realise until speaking to a very knowledgeable friend who is a neurological physiotherapist was that, a uti in elderly people has vastly different symptoms than in younger people.
The symptoms can be confusion, lethargy, going 'off your legs' and if you Google 'uti in elderly' it says;
"UTIs in the elderly are often mistaken as the early stages of dementia or Alzheimer's, according to NIH, because symptoms include: Confusion, or delirium-like state. Agitation. Hallucinations."
Most of these things were affecting my Nan in law but the doctors did not recognise it even with several home visits from them.

If a usually coherent elderly person starts acting or feeling out of sorts do one of these tests firstd off to at least rule it out. It's serious enough to be fatal as can lead to sepsis, so for the cost, order one for next day delivery and do it if your doctor hasn't. It literally could save a life.

I really hope this helps somebody