5.0 out of 5 stars HD Projector for Games Consoles and TV, etc
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Jac

3.0 out of 5 stars Bluray Image good, fan obtrusive
Published on 26 Mar 2011 by o_10sworld

3.0 out of 5 stars Bluray Image good, fan obtrusive, 26 Mar 2011
This review is from: KitMaster®HD Ready Projector For Game Consoles, TV, Blu Ray, DVD, PC, Laptop, Digi Box, Sky, Virgin, Media Player upto 120" Screen Size and Excellent + KitMaster® Hdmi Cable And Cleaning Cloth (Electronics)
I bought this projector a short while ago and have found it to be more than acceptable for projecting DVD and Bluray discs to a huge screen about 3m across the other side of the room. It was extremely easy to set up and I was projecting within 10 minutes of opening the box. There are a good number of ports to add HDMI x2(for Blueray), VGA (for pc)and RGB component. All very good. Unfortunately it begins to lose marks from here onwards. It is difficult to set the pc so that the desktop is readable (lose one star), but viewing family photos and BBCi/4OD is fine, although some tweaking is required on the picture settings to get an optimum picture.

The sound from the unit is ample but my preferred method was to hook up surround sound. There inlies the real problem. The fan is so obtrusive that you need to have surround so high to be heard over the top of it.(I can't find anywhere the DBa level output - my opinion is that it is on a par if not higher with above average talking level which is reported as being around 60DBa)I do not want to find myself as a nuisance neighbour so my recourse is to use wireless headphones to blot out the noise from the unit.

I am now considering purchasing a quieter projector for this reason. So if you are looking for a cost effective projector for viewing family photos then I would say this was fine, however as a bluray home theatre the pleasure is diminished somewhat by the noise from the fan. For that reason I would suggest purchasing an more expensive but quieter unit and as that was the real reason for buying this, and the unit is advertised as such I give the unit 2.5 - 3 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great price but several big downsides, 22 July 2011
Mr. R. A. Farrell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The price is the best part about this - if you're on a minimal budget and you just want a projector, this may be the best option for you.

Note: this is my first projector. I just ordered one of these Optoma HD600X 720P HD Ready Home Cinema Projector and when it has arrived and I have tested it I will write a comment with some information about how they compare.

Pros:

* Very cheap
* Everything included - power cable, HDMI cable, spare bulb, remote control, batteries, lens cap
* Easy to set up

Cons:

* Not only is this projector very loud but it is inconsistently loud, i.e. the fan noise is not at a constant volume, so it is very difficult to ignore. This means that anything with quiet sections (such as quiet dialogue) are very hard to concentrate on. Unfortunately that means that those serious, dramatic moments in films with whispered dialogue are pretty much ruined for me by this up-and-down whirring noise (in a decent sized room - me at the front and the projector at the back). This is the main reason I decided to go for another projector. If you can put up with the noise or your use case isn't affected by this then you may well want to go ahead and buy it.

The next two downsides are more subjective - other people may have had better experience than me so I don't want to misrepresent the quality of this product as I am not an expert on projectors, but regardless of tweaking, these two issues remained:

* On a light (off-white) wall the picture is essentially invisible unless all lights are off and it's night-time. As I understand it, darkness is preferable for optimal performance for most projectors but not a requirement for basic visibility. Perhaps the projector was too far away from the wall; it is placed at the back of the room which is just about far enough for it to cover the wall, which is just the size we want it. I may be expecting too much from a projector in this price range - I am very interested to see how the Optoma compares.

* I was unable to get the entire picture in focus. No matter how hard I tried to ignore it, the blurriness of the picture was very off-putting and took quite a lot away from the novel experience of watching movies and TV shows on a huge screen. This was nowhere near as distracting as the fan noise and it's possible that others didn't even notice it, but it was definitely there for me. It was possible to get either the top or bottom of the picture reasonably sharp, but not the entire picture. Maybe the projector needs to be level and not keystone-corrected, but this is not possible in my living room.

So if you really can't afford more than this price and you don't mind putting up with the noise, you may well be very satisfied with this product. You may also find that your specific set-up isn't affected by the brightness and blurriness issues that I encountered.

I'll post a follow-up comment when the Optoma arrives - if it resolves all of the problems I mentioned then I think the extra £200 or so will certainly be worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just way too loud!!, 22 May 2012
Deniz Omer (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
Apart from the image quality (and what can you expect for the price you paid) the most annoying thing about this projector is the noise it makes! Its 4 fans are constantly whirring non stop and the sound is loud enough to be really really distracting! Its like the sound of cars constantly passing outside..

Only solution is to wear earphones to listen to whatever you're watching..

1.0 out of 5 stars HD or Not HD, 18 July 2011
Do not be misled by this product. Although it is described as an 'HD Projector' this does not mean that it is an 'HD Projector'. Call me old fashioned, but I was expecting it to be so. It merely supports 'HD'. Which means it is able to play 'HD' source material by down sizing it. The quality is therefore of standard clarity. Type and graphics become extremely pixelated and unpleasant to look at.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright., 28 Mar 2012
Like many others I was a bit reluctant to by this projector at first but based on the reviews it was getting I decided to buy it. It arrived in good time and I had it set up within minutes. Like someone has stated before me this is projector does not project HD images, merely it can accept a HD input through HDMI or Component. I've tried the projector with a PS3 and an XBOX 360. Both look OK to say the least but you do notice the difference in quality compared to a HDTV. However, watching a movie or some video from the internet is not too bad. I was watching some anime and a few wrestling clips and even a movie from the PS3 and wasn't bothered by the quality at all. After testing the projector on my consoles I connected it to my computer. I have bad eyesight but even with my glasses on the words are unreadable. The only way you can get good sized letters are if you set the resolution to the native 800x600 but icons are way too big and everything is oversized so avoid this and stick to using your default monitor for reading.

The package includes the power cable, HDMI cable (which is a pretty long cable), VGA cable, red & white RCA cable and a spare bulb. You also get a remote control but sadly you will have to buy your own batteries as they're not included.

Overall I am happy with the projector and do recommend it if all you want to do is play games in standard definition or connect it to your computer and watch videos from there. But if you want to watch HD content I advise you to get the Optoma HD600X-LV. It is more expensive but you get what you pay for.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a heap of rubbish, 26 May 2012
Mr. A. O. Clarke (UK) - See all my reviews
I was asked to set this up by a friend of mine. It's absolutely huge! my spare projector is over 10 years old (it's an old 3M one) and at less than 1000 lumens it's still brighter than this one. 1800 lumen rating is somewhat overgenerous IMHO. No zoom either and the keystone correction is a knob on the side which swivels the mirror. Hardly what you would expect for a supposedly digital projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars HD Projector for Games Consoles and TV, etc, 4 Jan 2011
This projector came well packaged from the seller with a spare bulb and HDMI cable which is quite rare and a nice touch. It looks nice being a sleek shiny black colour and is the size and weight as expected of a normal projector. It was straight forward to operate and really didn't take that long to set up; we had it up and running within 10 minutes connected to the Xbox and Sky. After some adjustments the picture quality was good with varying sizes to choose from. The sound quality is not bad either, although we've now hooked it up to speakers as when playing music through it there is that lack of bass which is normal with lots of visual appliances. Finally it comes with all the adaptors so scarts and audio cables can be properly connected. We envisaged buying these extra items as the purchasing description wasn't clear so this was a very 'nice to have'. All-in-all so far we're really pleased. It's an excellent piece of kit for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really bad resolution, do not buy, 29 Nov 2011
READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT:
the projector does not support different resolutions, if you connect to the PC the projector , the resolution does not change even when the display settings are changed on the PC, it remains at 800x600, no information regarding this is provided anywhere on the description. I have used an Acer projector before and at least the text can be readable.
I then tried it with my PS3 and as usual NO HD resolution, how do you expect to play HD games in this piece of rubbish when it clearly claims to have excellent resolution.??

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for office use., 21 Nov 2011
I purchased this projector for use in our office for presentations etc. Unfortunately, it just wasn't bright enough, and we couldn't get the display area clear all the way around. On the plus side, we did get a refund agreed within about ten minutes of contacting the supplier and they refunded the cost of the projector, minus postage, within a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exellent Projector, 2 Mar 2011
I just got the projector yesterday when it arrived later then expected, however when it came i was amazed by the clarity of the HD image, i can watch incredible videos in incredible picture quality, its hooked up to my laptop and comes with all the things that it needs to start up.. (excluding remote batterys) lol. at the great price and exelent build of the projector, I would say it is a fantastic investment and will make any cinematic amazing to look at. the fans are really powerfull, so i guess that it is pretty effective at colling its self down, it has excellent A/V interface and it is deffinetly what id recoment you get. output is ajustable and i was thinking of getting a blu-ray to accompany this amazing projector!!!
i am even typing this out using the projector... could not be happier!