4.0 out of 5 stars Close call with greatness
Anyone who has or had come into contact with Andrew WK's two albums, I Like to Party and The Wolf will kind of know his formula: Great pop songs dressed up in a rock outfit.

He pummels out song after song that Fall Out Boy for example can only dream of.

Published on 2 Jun 2010 by Mr. M. L. Hawes

1.0 out of 5 stars You may well hide your face
Published 14 months ago by G. Dear

4.0 out of 5 stars Close call with greatness, 2 Jun 2010
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

He pummels out song after song that Fall Out Boy for example can only dream of.

I have owned Close Calls since it came out (bought as a Korean import) and have worked my way through its myriad of tracks. It has an edge on the first two albums in terms of its variety and make up, but because it's longer doesn't quite maintain the 5 out of 5 form of the other records.

If you're reading this then you may well already know a bit about the man, if not then go back to the first two albums, buy them, play them until they break, then dig this one out. It will reward you with its riches.

This guy so deserves to do well, one can only hope in time that his ship will come in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good in parts, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Close Calls With Brick Walls / Mother Of Mankind (Audio CD)
I thoroughly enjoyed I Get Wet and The Wolf so after the uncomfortable and unnecessary Cadillac/piano album I did check out the amazon samples before purchasing this download.

What's great: Andrew WK is back on form with "party-rock" songs such as "You Will Remember Tonight", "We're not Gunna Get Old", "Don't Call me Andy", "One Brother" and "I Will Find God".

What's disappointing: There are 39 songs and lot of them sound like fillers or just demos which should have been rejected by a major label.

The other disappointing thing is that Andrew seems to have lost his mean, heavy-metal voice on a few songs such as the ABBA-esque "This is my World" which seems to have another calmer Andrew. Maybe he was going to lay down the vocal track later but never got round to it.

Worth getting but he could have trimmed the album down a bit to make about super 15 track album.

1.0 out of 5 stars You may well hide your face, 24 Sep 2013
G. Dear - See all my reviews
I'd be embarrassed by this effort of a record as well AWK, so I understand now why your identity is masked on the cover. Honestly, this is a pile of nappy rot. I am a big fan of I Get Wet, and thought I would look up some more of AWK's work. What a waste of time - honestly, I try to look for some merit in any album, but this is possibly the worst record I have ever heard. I cannot bear to give this a second listen, there is no musicality, no interest in the lyrics, and surely the man and his band must just be taking the pee? The only saving grace is the brevity of most of the tracks. Approach with extreme caution. One star for persuading someone to release this drivel.

Close Calls With Brick Walls / Mother Of Mankind
Close Calls With Brick Walls / Mother Of Mankind by Andrew W.K. (Audio CD - 2010)