5.0 out of 5 stars Very promising debut from a superb young violinist..., 20 Jan 2010
Mr. Robert D. Roy (Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vilde Frang has a (IMHO) very special talent and this is amply demonstrated in this debut disc. Both concertos ( lets face it) have been recorded from every player from the late great Mr. Heifetz down. It's surely to Ms. Frang's credit that she can more than hold her own amongst many illustrious names.

I would go so far as to say that, in purely technical terms, she is superior to Hilary Hahn. There is perhaps more imagination on display here than the young American can muster and she has a greater display of tone colours to offer. Perhaps, oddly enough, there are a couple of notes that are not completley 'dead centre' but the fact that everything else is so near to perfection shows them in sharp relief.

It's great to hear the Sibelius miniatures played at all - let alone with such imagination. WHEN will players give these works their due!?

All in all, a wonderful disc.

Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely combination, 17 July 2010
Andrew C. Mitchell (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
WDR Symphony Orchestra,Cologne plays beautifully under the direction of Thomas Sondergard. They form a very fine partnership with Vilde Frang's sensitive and delicate violin playing. I already knew that I could expect a very fine performance of the Sibelius Concerto on this CD. I was not prepared for how good the Prokofiev Violin Concerto No 1 could be. I have heard several other recordings, but this one was a revelation to me. Its dreaminess is brought out in the tender playing of the endings of the first and the final movements. The virtuoso,skittish scamperings of the second movement are delightfully rendered. Yet the overall seriousness of this classic/romantic concerto is not compromised.Both the Prokofiev and the Sibelius Concertos are musically developed by the performers throughout to reach satisfying, but very different, conclusions in their final movements. In addition Vilde Frang brings three of the Sibelius Humoresques to this CD. I found them delightful, - in particular Op 87 No 2. I hope to hear more of the work of Vilde Frang, Thomas Sondergard and also the WDR orchestra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different Sibelius, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Prokofiev & Sibelius: Violin Concertos (MP3 Download)
I downloaded this mainly for the Sibelius concerto because I had read many reviews of this performance and was curious as to what all the fuss was about ...... well now I understand completely! So much light and shade, real virtuoso playing when needed (final movement especially) and a very considered, atmospheric and detailed orchestral accompaniment which contains things (drum rhythms etc) which I never even knew existed until now. The 3 humoresques are equally well played. The Prokofiev I can't really compare because I've never heard it in any other recording, but it sounds well enough. Superb recording of a great Sibelius concerto performance though!

4.0 out of 5 stars A special sense of fantasy, 25 Nov 2013
enthusiast "enthusiast" (sussex, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Sibelius is not bad but is not that good either. Frang's opening is weak. I suppose she is going for mystery but gives us weakness and vulnerability. And on the whole her first movement - truly the meat of this concerto - is rather ordinary. Things improve in her warm hearted slow moment and in the fleet finale. Both of these movements are graced with some really inspired passage work, moments where her playing is lit by a special sense of fantasy. But it is not enough and ultimately the account is merely good, and not nearly enough in a field packed with far more successful accounts. It doesn't help that her partner fails to give us a convincing Sibelian orchestral part - something that is, I feel, very important in this work.

Things improve greatly in the Prokofiev. The 1st Concerto is a lovely work that has received quite a number of fine performances on record. I was less keen on Frang's account at first because I found it a little too free and I feared it did not hold together too well. But, in fact, the freedom allows Frang some special insights and this is a lovely jewel of an account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding new talent, 25 Jun 2012
Professor A. G. Henley "Andy" (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prokofiev & Sibelius: Violin Concertos (MP3 Download)
I stumbled upon this download in the sub 4 classical section and thought it was worth investigating. Vilde Frang is a 25 year old Norwegian violinist who is in the first few years of what will undoubtedly turn into a glittering career, both as a concerto performer and as a recitalist. She plays a violin from the French 19th century maker Vuillaume and achieves a lovely warm tone across the range of the instrument. I bought this download for the Prokofiev - I already have other recordings of the Sibelius. Both are excellent recordings, displaying a musical maturity well beyond her years. In fact the Sibelius may well become my recording of choice. The WDR Symphony Orchestra under Sondergard accompany with sensitivity and energy in equal measure. A delight to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 19 Jun 2013
Esther L. Oberbeck "esthero" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Thought the Sibelius was superbly interpreted. The sound and orchestra are also impeccable.

Vilde Frang appears to be another upcoming star of the classical world. I hope she comes out with more music soon.