5.0 out of 5 stars Craghopper kiwi trousers
Published on 17 July 2011 by Andy L

It's not actually a bad pair of trousers but, compared to what they used to be like, just not as good. Still the same "generous" cut as the old version.I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it! so, what's changed?

Pro:
* Wider belt loops. Makes it easier to insert and remove belt; makes it easier to use a wider belt if required -- and it is...
Published 14 months ago by Coticbane

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly cost-cutting has diminished what used to be a good product, 3 May 2013

Pro:
* Wider belt loops. Makes it easier to insert and remove belt; makes it easier to use a wider belt if required -- and it is!

Con:
* Light-weight belt webbing. This means that, under tension, it distorts so it is like a piece of cord; uncomfortable.
* The bars on the "male" bit of the belt buckle are inadequate and break under tension.
* Shallow pockets. They've reduced the depth of the hip pockets (as measured from the bottom of the slit opening) from 14cm to 8cm. Even handkerchiefs fall out just from normal walking around. This renders the unzipped pocket worse than useless; the zipped one is just about tolerable.

Frankly, given that the cost of an item like this is mostly in the labour, not the fabric, it is royally idiotic to reduce the quality of what was once a very good product just to save a few square centimetres of fabric. Irritating decision!

Edit, 2014 Jan 01: The stitching on the cargo pocket is beginning to come undone. This is unacceptable for something that is only 8 months old and is probably a consequence of cheap manufacturing and poor quality control: I have two other pairs of Craghopper trousers, both of which I have had since 1999; one of them has been really badly abused (caving, sailing, etc), but the pocket stitching is still intact.

1.0 out of 5 stars The new Craghopper Kiwi, 13 April 2013
David Lever - See all my reviews
I've been wearing Craghopper Kiwi trousers for about the last 10 years and seldom wear anything else, the generous cut allows for total freedom of movement, the material is great for all seasons- quick drying and hard wearing. Having just ordered a couple of new ones I was amazed to discover that the design that has been tried and tested over the years has been abandoned, and is superseded by altering the tailoring around the crotch area and reducing the width of the thighs by 7 cm. The result is that they have designed the legs to be too tight, and the pockets which were quite generous, have now been reduced so much as to be useless. Craghopper, you have lost the plot and a regular customer.

David Lever

1.0 out of 5 stars craghopper kiwis, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers (Sports)
have worn these trousers for years and worn others too but im afraid the last 2 pairs i bought are the last il ever wear! the buttons have fallen off both pairs the material looks cheap and the stitching is a complete joke..these used to be the best iv ever worn on all fronts and occassions but something has changed about the quality and materials used so its a sad farewell to craghopper and hello mr rohan.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice trousers - shame about the zips, 21 Aug 2011
I love these trousers and have worn them a lot. The one feature I hadn't used was the zipped pockets. So when I was travelling and needed to take my passport along, I thought 'Ideal, I'll put it in the secret zipped pocket on the left side'. Then the first time I went to check the passport was ok, it turned out the zip had broken and was open. I quickly switched the passport to the right-hand zipped pocket (not so secret, but still). 10 minutes later I checked again, and this zip had broken too. Neither zip had gone through any heavy wear, I'd just been standing up. sitting down and walking around an airport. So then I had to find a different solution. The trousers are less than a year old so I could try to send them back under the guarantee, but I'd have to ship them from Holland, so it hardly seems worth it. And I'm still wearing them no problem, just not using those zipped pockets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Craghopper kiwi trousers, 17 July 2011
Lightweight casual and quick drying after rain showers make them ideal golfing trousers for me as well as trail walking. My first pair were 34 inch waist long leg which i had to return as they were way too big and found my size to be 32 inch waist regular leg. So a possible thing to watch for is getting a size smaller in both waist and leg to what your normal trouser sizes are for a perfect fit.

1.0 out of 5 stars What have Craghoppers done?, 20 Sep 2013
J. Jenkins - See all my reviews
I love craghopper products, I had hats, shirts, fleeces, shorts and several pairs of trousers (13 in all).
I decided to replace my Craghopper Kiwi's classic with new pairs, the old ones were still in good condition but were showing their age.
I sadly lost all my gear in a house explosion and was about to replace all the things that I have lost (everything).
So I bought a new pair which arrived today. Black 34in short leg.
Huge, huge disappointment. What have they done?
The material is much lower quality, the fit is terrible, I could barely get them on. I have been wearing Craghopper shorts all Summer long.
All my old Kiwi's fitted perfectly.
The new style pockets are so shallow I cannot get my whole hand into them and I can see that things will fall easily out of them. The crotch is too high now and looks awful when worn. The seat is too snug and just from flexing I can tell the seams will just tear when out on the mountains.
I am not built like a marathon runner but more along a sprinters build. Craghoppers always were a wonderful fit and such good quality.
No more! Bring back the old cut, materials and quality and I will keep buying. I will purchase no more if they remain like this.
Such a huge shame as it was once a great company with quality you could rely on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why wear anything else?, 24 Jun 2010
M. D. Rivers (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
Craghopper have come up with the ultimate trouser. My wardrobe contains little else these days other than the standard, winter lined, and zip-off versions of these trousers. They have the perfect combination of pockets - so you always know where everything is, and that its securely zipped up. They are hard wearing and take a lot of abuse. They have water repellant qualities so that droplets of water run off. When they do get soaked they dry extremely quickly.

I don't know how any other trouser manufacturers are still selling any.

Not so keen on the wet sand colour. All the others are fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ace pants, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers (Sports)
Nice and comfortable to wear, plenty of useful pockets. Belt could do with been a bit sturdier, clip fastening can easily be undone, but no major inconvenience. When ordering mine I took the advice of a previous reviewer who said to get the next size down in waist size, ie if 36 get 34. They do come rather generous in size, 34 was just right. Overall a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable walking / outdoors trousers, 7 July 2010
Lightweight and water resistant (drips run down them as if on the surface of an apple), toughened but not rough, and forever keeping my legs at the correct temperature regardless of the weather or how much exercise I perform, this product ticks the comfort and practicality boxes with ease.

The double thigh pockets are well designed with a zipped pocked half an inch below an open pocket on either side for convenience purposes, and with a sizable Velcro leg pocket on the lower right thigh and a quick-release belt, the trousers are all-round practical outdoor attire.

If bought to wear with a pair of walking boots, I personally cannot stress enough that buying a longer pair is definitely worth it for those regular occasions when you stretch out or crouch down and don't wish to expose your lower legs. The relatively narrow bottoms of the trousers will never slide past the base of the boots making them a perfect combination.

Quick drying, resistant to picking up smells due to the waxed surface and quite a challenge to permanently get dirty, assuming you don't burn a hole through them with a camp fire or slice them with a sharp knife (a blunt blade would likely slide off the surface), these trousers should last months unwashed in the rough.

One of the best walking trousers on the market, and very reasonably priced, buy a pair which fit and match your colour preference and you simply can't go wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be good but quality now not there...., 9 Feb 2013
Mark Edser - See all my reviews
This review is from: Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Mens Walking Trousers (Sports)
I had a couple of pairs of these a few years back which were great and eventually wore out- bought the 'new' kiwi trousers- what a difference! Now made in china out of material half the thickness, and the stitching seems to have been done in the dark. The belt is too short to go around the waist-band and the zips feel like they'll last about 20 seconds.
Shame as craghoppers used to be reasonable kit and a good price- quality just not there now.