on 30 August 2013
Been reading this to my elderly mother who has lived through both World Wars (just); she is very much enjoying the descriptions of the life of civilians during WWII. As the book is specifically using first hand reports of people who actually experienced the events it gives a really good record of life for the average household.
I would recommend this book for anyone interested in stories of real people, for schools studying is period and perhaps particularly for those who lived through the War and can relate to the recollections.
on 8 November 2012
I read this book some 2 or 3 years ago and found it the most interesting book that i had ever read. Since then i have read many other books but found nothing to compare and having been given a Kindle as a birthday present as soon as I realised that the book was available in this format I was determined to re-read it.
Highly recommended to anyone who either lived through that period or who has the desire to learn what our parents or grandparents went through, this book is a MUST !
on 5 December 2002
before in books about civilians in WW2. The accounts supplied by ordinary people are so poignant I cannot read them aloud to my husband without crying. I was born in 1949 and have always felt I had missed something when people spoke about it. Now I can "experience" it for myself. I have read 3 chapters, and already told my sister about it. She won't want to wait until I have finished it, she is getting one of her own.
on 23 February 2012
My parents lived through the Second World War but I knew little of their lives then. This book fills in the details and answers for the questions that I never asked. It is a story of the lives of ordinary folk trying to survive on a day to day basis, with little money, resources and no knowledge of where their loved ones were. Looking at the references, Norman Longmate has undertaken a huge task and created a valuable resource for the lay reader and the historian alike.An increasingly important record as the remaining survivors of the war begin to decline.
on 9 August 2012
I am so pleased this remarkable book is still in print. It is nearly 40 years since I first read the Arrow paperback version which really changed the way I looked at history and opened my eyes to the gems hidden in the Mass Observation archive. 40 years on and I am still an avid reader of social history, but this book and Angus Calder's "The People's War" are what set me on the road, and they have never been bettered. Read this and be transported.....!
on 7 October 2011
This book is useful for students or those with an interest in the past. In brings years now gone to life for those who live now; through its pages we can see the effects, socially, politically and personally, of war and the changes war and its associate sciences and attitudes brought.
on 18 February 2014
For anyone like myself who loves reading about life in the war will enjoy this book, but I did find myself skipping quite a few pages which were not of interest to me. I would have preferred more detail on people's actual lives rather than just snippets but that is the nature of the book, enjoyable none the less and I learned things I had not previously heard about so a bit of an eye opener.
on 30 April 2011
A book that brings back events and people that I had forgotten, being a book about all the things that effected the little people in their daily struggles, it brings back the uncertain feeling that we all faced, rumours travelled quickly which didnt help. My family consisted of my parents and six children, how my Mother managed to feed us all was a mystery. My brother was called up to the RAF, one sister to a factory making shells, another sister went into the Land Army so this was just a normal wartime family. I lived in a British Legion House on a small estate of 16 houses all residents were allocated a house on the basis of being disabled or widowed through injuries received through serving in the First World War, they must have all wondered what was required to be done to keep the peace!!
on 28 June 2010
I have found the book to be extreamly informative. But written in a story type of way instead of just presenting the bare facts. Anyone interested in family History will find this very entertaining and usefull.
on 22 January 2014
I really love this book. I keep it in my bedside drawer and read an occasional chapter. I find it is not something to read from cover to cover in one sitting. If I feel a bit dissatisfied with my lot I read a few pages of this book!!