5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowingly Erotic- A Must Read Over and Over

Published 20 months ago by Sadie Forsythe

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowingly Erotic- A Must Read Over and Over, 1 Jun 2006
K. Montgomery (Columbus, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Man (Paperback)
When my pulse begins pounding only a few pages into a book I know I may have just started reading a winner. This gut instinct of mine doesn't kick in very frequently, and it's rarely wrong. I was so relieved to find that instict was one hundred percent on the mark this time. The entire book, from the first word till the very last, was steamy, excruciatingly arousing and wonderfully romantic. Ladies, if your man is at home when you read this one, give him an advanced warning.

Suzanne Barron is an interior designer who leases part of her building's office space to the enigmatic and somewhat scary John Huntingdon, former Navy SEAL and black opps extrodinaire. Nerves of steel eminate from the large overpowering man, both enticing the cautious Suzanne as well as frightening her like a deer caught in headlights. After dinner with him that same evening, a dinner she meant to be all business but was instead a blatant seduction, she has the most erotic sexual encounter of her life with John. It was wild, a little rough and definitely dirtier than the good girl is used to. Shocked and panicked at her passionate responses, she wants to avoid any such further confrontations with the bold and sexy man. Frustrated at his lack of finesse, John is nevertheless determined to have the little blonde beauty again...and again and again. He'll stop at nothing to posess her body. When Suzzane is attacked in her own home by lethal assassins, John has the perfect opportunity to stake his claim on her. Someone wants her dead, but who would want to murder a sweet, innocent person like Suzanne?

John huntington is without a doubt one of the sexiest, if not the most sexy, heros I've ever encountered in romance or erotica books. His instant animal attraction to Suzanne has a direct affect on readers and one instantly recognizes and sympathizes with Suzanne's gut insticts for self preservation. Nothing can stop John from claiming her though and personally I thought Suzanne was one of the luckiest heroines I'd ever read about. Larger than life, brawny and so primordially male, John is the quintessential embodiment of the male erotica hero. He takes no prisoners in his pursuit of Suzanne and he takes no chances with her life, ensuring her survival against the deadliest odds. Oh my gosh, he's literally the stuff of fantasies. Suzanne was a great counterpart for him, an innocent, girl-next-door type that was more than able to hold up her end of their relationship. There is a real emotional connection between the two, a genuine caring for one another beneath their sexual attraction. Very nice and refreshing.

My one complaint about the book - it's not nearly long enough. Despite that it's very much worth the price. Plot! It has a plot! An amazing thing actually. I've read plenty of erotica that didn't have one. I could have kicked myself for not ordering all of Rice's other books along with this one, but since I'm no fool I'll definitely be doing so as soon as possible. Rice's writing had me in its grip from start to finish and I do believe I have found a new favorite author to add to my keeper shelf. The next book in the series, "Midnight Run"is about Suzanne's best friend Claire and it looks to be just as spine tinglingly erotic as this one. A phenominal boook. Read and be astounded.

5.0 out of 5 stars The plot was exciting, fast paced and scorching, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit the very first Lisa Marie Rice book I read a couple of weeks ago did not inspire me to read any more, I enjoyed it, I just had a few issues at the start. However I found myself days later thinking how much I actually liked the first book I read of hers which was Woman on the Run , went back and upgraded my rating and then decided to try out some more of her books.

Well, I loved this book.

Interior decorator Suzanne Barron is renting out office and living space in the building she lives and works. Ex Navy Commander John Huntington, a former SEAL is the man who is her new tenant.

There is something about how Lisa Marie Rice writes an Aplha hero that is seriously endearing and almost cute. Which is hardly a description to use for a man, that it is acknowledged within the book that he made the heroine feel like she was "in a cave where the man with the biggest club won"

But, and as with Woman on the Run I loved the hero. He knew what he wanted as soon as he saw it and never wavered from that. Seriously, he was just focused completely and nothing was getting in his way.

The attraction was instant.

Anyway, back to why I find the super alpha cavemen heroes of Lisa Marie Rice oddly cute and endearing.

~~"He was going to have to get through this evening. And probably a few other evenings after this one. Asking her out to dinner - out on dates - was necessary. There had to be something between meeting her and having sex. He couldn't just say, "Let's go to bed". It didn't work that way, not with ladies.
Or so he presumed. He didn't have much experience with the species. So here he was, locked into getting through an evening making conversation."

"He took her elbow and a deep breath. First things first. He had to feed her and strangle out some conversation before climbing on top of her."

"He'd decorated it in exactly one extremely painful and clueless hour at the closest Wal-Mart, choosing the first pieces of furniture he'd come across, not knowing what the hell he was doing, and having three beers afterwards to calm his nerves" ~~

The plot was exciting, fast paced and scorching. It is funny and oddly tender considering our super, intense aplha caveman of a hero.

The ending was a bit abrupt, however, looking at reviews for book 2, I believe their story as secondary characters continues on book 2, which I am starting straight away.

3.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
Ok, I'll give Midnight Man three stars because it was basically well written and the plot/characters might appeal to some. But honestly, John Huntington (as dangerously sexy as he may be) is a cave man who despite knowing what he needs to do to please his bedmate doesn't...over and over and over again he doesn't and this enraged me. She deserved so much better. Come on, women (or at least I) read such novels for the pure sexual allure of them. Being told how he 'used her too rough' as if she was a ten dollar whore (a comparison I seem to recall was actually made at one point) or the frequent use of the C-word didn't create any pleasant fizz for me...again, it enraged me. And that first date...OMG, it was the most uncomfortable thing I've had to sit through! It was just horrible. Not just because even in fantasy land do I not enjoy a man behaving that way, but also because he would have had to have been completely socially inept to not know that behaviour was inappropriate and unappealing. It was far too far outside of the realm of reality.

I ventured outside of my comfort zone on this one. I enjoy a good sexy story, but NEVER...wait I can no longer say never, almost never read straight romances. PNR sure. Erotica sure. But not cookie cutter romances and this one reminds me why. While it might be a fine book and those who enjoy the genre more might like it I found very little in it that appealed to me. Sad, so sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Verging on 3.5 stars. A warrior in love for the first time (book 1), 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
Not what I thought but still not a bad quick read.
The alpha male commander John comes across as the silent and deadly type. Built like a warrior and he's sat staring at Suzanne the pretty petite business woman like he wants to eat her alive (which he does).
He needs an office for his security business and Suzanne is about to lease him one and an apartment to go with it.
He's getting feelings he's never had like 'mine' and she's getting feelings like 'his'.
They do get it together which I can't say is the most explosive sex I've read but it does have a moment. Sex aside this was more about someone wanting to kill Suzanne and John going into alpha mode to protect her.
A good quality story, very well written and the characters had some depth.
Midnight Run (Midnight) book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars John Huntington, I love you. Rescue me and take me to your mountain cabin!, 21 Jan 2013
S. Richards (Deep South) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
I first bought this book in paperback back in 2010. Midnight Man is my favorite LMR book, and it was also my first LMR book to ever read, setting the mark for all others that came after. I was new to Amazon, had never posted anything, had never reviewed anything, didn't even know who LMR was, but I took a chance on it and never regretted it, even at the pb price. Have you ever read something, and afterward, you're amazed, wondering who this author is, and why have you never heard of her before? That's how I felt after I finished reading John. I love this book, and I love John. I think most readers will feel they are getting a good, solid read with this, some nice suspense and danger, plenty of sexual tension and chemistry, but the main reason to read this book is for that hero alone.

I fell in love with him from the get-go, and he went right to my keeper shelf and right into the top 5 of my ultimate alpha male heroes list. He is what we romance readers read alpha heroes for: gruff and intense, fiercely protective, would die for the heroine, won't give her up, wants only to be with the her, so single-mindedly focused on her, and not to mention he's hot and sexy as hell and totally badazz. He's a rough and urgent lover, and your panties don't even stand a chance with him. The next thing you know, you're up against the wall and having rough, wild monkey sex with a man so consumed by desire for you that he forgets all finesse. "He wanted to bite her, kiss her, suckle her, penetrate her. He wanted it all, every single thing she could give, and more." Not every woman will probably like that very first sex scene, but for me it set the tone, and I wanted more of it.

John epitomizes all the good and sexy that LMR can write into a hero, all male, overwhelming and all intense and in charge. I mean, he literally sweeps the heroine off her feet, and that sexy feeling never once lets up in the story. If you have never read LMR before, please read this one, if nothing else. You're going to get one tough, hard, and rough-edged alpha hero primed for sex and for battle paired with a cool, beautiful blonde in need of protecting; you'll get some danger and action, LOTS of really hot sex, and one helluva awesome read. For me, this is LMR at her finest.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is worth reading, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
With an alpha male to make most alphas look like hopeless softies and a female heroine still sensible enough not to make you cringe for shame at being a woman the story trips along at a good pace. It was well thought out and thoroughly enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars To 'Alpha' for me, 22 Dec 2012
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Midnight Man (Paperback)
Midnight Man features everything you expect to see in a Lisa Marie Rice book. A military man who is hard and rough with a bizarre love for black turtle neck jumpers. A damsel in distress who is delicate and would never normally be interested in a guy as unsophisticated as the military man. A threat to her life that turns him into some kind of hybrid Rambo and lots of steamy sex scenes. This is what Lisa Marie Rice is all about, and normally I quite like it, but this one fell short of the mark for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love an alpha man but John was too much for me. He is extremely sure of himself yet seems to have little ability to control his actions especially where Suzanne is concerned. He talks about her as though she is a sex toy and getting into her pants is a `mission' and he always completes his `missions'. There were times where he showed little to no respect for her at all and was to rough. He knew that he was hurting her but just could not stop himself.
Here is an example:

"At some level he knew he shouldn't have used her as much as he did. He couldn't regret it, if someone had put an AK-47 to his head he would have been completely incapable of stopping."

I am sorry but I do not find that attractive. I expect a guy to at least care if he is hurting a woman during sex but John doesn't. I would not let this guy anywhere near me he says he loves her, yet he hurts her to get his end away just how he likes it. He was more animal than man, he was to domineering and if he (or any man for that matter) had grabbed my boob in the middle of a restaurant and forced my hand onto his lap I would have smacked him on the nose with my dessert spoon and stormed out, and if he came near me again I would do a lot worse.

Despite all of this he does have his sweet moments and is literally willing to die for her, but it is not enough for me. I didn't not like it, there were some parts that were really good but I didn't like John which kind of ruined the book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing More to Add, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
I have just read the three stories in this series and I have nothing more to add to the current reviews. they were all 5 star reads for me and i have discoveered a great writer.

Hope LM Rice keeps up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamy adventure, 8 Jan 2006
Voracious for Books "Voraciousforbooks" (South London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Midnight Man (Paperback)
Lisa Marie Rice really knows how to write strong alpha males and hot romance and adventure. This is one of the best from the always excellent publishing house of Ellora's cave.

Interior decorator Suzanne Barron is a real lady, delicate, elegant and classy. Not the type of woman to seek out a tough former SEAL like John Huntington (aka Midnight Man)but when he becomes her tenant, they both find a wealth of seriously hot passion, and more, which is just as well since someone wants Suzanne dead. I urge you to read the excerpt on the Ellora's cave website. Then get on with ordering your copy.
Midnight Man won the 2004 Sizzler Award for Best Romantic Suspense and was First Runner Up for Best Debut!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
Quite a nice short, steamy romantic page turner. I commend the author on being able to let us know the pov of the male hero. Worth the money.

Midnight Man: 1 (Midnight series)