5.0 out of 5 stars Dumbfounded and Amazed - An Absolute Treasure of a Book
Published on 1 Jun 2006 by K. Montgomery

3.0 out of 5 stars Rough trade meets refined.
Published on 30 Sep 2007 by Karen

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumbfounded and Amazed - An Absolute Treasure of a Book, 1 Jun 2006
K. Montgomery (Columbus, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight Run (Paperback)
Where has this author been all my adult reading life? Better yet, where have I been that I'm just recently discovering her? Well, it's all good now, because there's no stopping me from reading everything this author will ever produce. Sure, I've got a keeper shelf, but I've never vowed to buy a book just because a particular author's name graced the cover. I'm breaking that particular dry spell and claiming here and now that Lisa Marie Rice's books will always be a must buy for me. Here's why:

Claire Parks is a woman on a mission. Having been terminally ill most of her young life, she's more than ready to experience all the things she never had the opportunity to. Wild parties, the rougher side of life, you name it, she wants to experience it. Sex? Well, absolutely! She's on the prowl for a good time and when she meets undercover Lieutenant Bud Morrison at a club, she just knows she's safe and secure with him. When the good cop gives her a ride home, thinking a white trash guy like him could never get close to a princess like her, he's in for the surprise of his life when he gets an invite into her home. What proceeds is the best, no holds barred sex of his entire life. It was dirty, it was rough and it was a turning point for him and Claire both. He know's he's found something special and he's not about to let Claire slip through his fingers. When they each find out who the other really is though, will their new found love be enough to hold them together? Or will Claire's tragic past drive them apart?

This is not erotica as I have read it before by other authors. Rice consistently produces heartfelt and heart wrenching stories, with the perfect mix of naughty and nice, that just make me want to read them over and over. There's a depth to her writing, her characters, that readers seldom see in other books. There's a good solid plot line that, so far, interweaves nicely with the other two books in this series (first "Midnight Man", "Midnight Run" then "Midnight Angel"). Bud Morrison has a very strong presence in the book, very much a rugged alpha male meets Pierce Brosnan-like persona. Strong and formidable, yet dashing, kind and extremely caring all in one. He's outraged at any foul treatment of women and children and he takes his job as a cop, protector if innocents, seriously. Claire is the type of heroine you just want to weep for, because of her tragic past and her determination to actually LIVE, then stand up and cheer for her (kind of a "You go, girl"!) when she gets a man like Bud. Actually, you could almost feel jealous of her, but hey, it's fiction ladies. Alas, siiighhh, these men are not real. So, if you haven't read Lisa Marie rice's books yet, don't just pick up this one - get them all! Prepare to absolutely live in her books. The stories are so compelling, the men so HOT, you'll wish you were one of the heroines of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Bud's for You, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Midnight Run (Paperback)
This was a book I stumbled upon while looking around the reviews on Amazon. What a great discovery!
I've already ordered Lisa Marie Rice's "Midnight Man," which was the first in this trilogy; and "Midnight Angel," the third.
Midnight Run is a well-developed story with a macho cop and a woman who's battled life-threatening illness and is just now in her mid-20s healthy enough to spread her wings and live a little. They fall for each other immediately, but it's conceivable and the love scenes (okay SEX scenes :) are sizzling.
At first, Bud doesn't realize she's so fragile so he treats her as a normal grown-up sex object. And she loves that, having been coddled and smothered by the well-meaning attentions of her loved ones.
When things change and her beloved cop becomes a control freak, she has to take a stand. Won't ruin the story by letting any cats out of the bag.
Only, meow! I have to say this: if Bud's poetry recitation as he makes love to Claire doesn't make you smile or laugh, I don't know what will. Who would have thought an author could make iambic pentameter HOT?!! Probably better I didn't read these types of books in high school or I'd have made worse grades and gotten into far too much trouble :)
I believe one of these reviewers must have earned way too many traffic tickets since she has little to no appreciation or respect for cops. Whatever...We all have our own viewpoints but I hate that this reviewer also tells the identity of a victim in this story without even using a SPOILER alert to let those who MIGHT want to read this book know to skip the review.
Bud seems elemental, not as deep as Douglas, the "ugly" man (who is a friend of John, the hero in the first book of this trilogy, Midnight Man). Douglas gets his story and his woman in the third book, Midnight Angel, and it's my favorite. But I re-read all of these books and they are keepers.
But back to Bud: since Claire was coddled as a sickly child and is just now spreading her, uh, wings :) she is just the type of woman to appeal to a protective guy like him. She just has to show him not to go overboard. Even if you prefer one of the other stories in this three-parter, you should read all three to get the entire picture.
AND I highly recommend these other two Lisa Marie Rice books: Port of Paradise & Woman on the Run. Read the trilogy and if you like, order the other two. Ms. Rice is now on a "Dangerous" book title kick for another book publisher, so you might want to check those out as well. I also reviewed "Midnight Angel" in case I've whet your appetite for Douglas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A humorous, fast paced exciting read, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Midnight Run: 2 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
Another great 5 star read for me.

Claire Schuyler Parks has spent her growing up years very ill.

Now she is well, she is eager to come out from under the over protectiveness of her father. On her first attempt to take a walk on the wild side, she meets undercover police officer Lieutenant Tyler "Bud" Morrison, and it is lust at first sight!

Bud tries to withstand what he is feeling for Claire, as he does not do "sweet and innocent" but he fails.

Bud is, as usual with Lisa Marie Rice Heroes, all that is caveman super alpha!

~~He'd read somewhere that in the Middle Ages men used to hang the bloody sheets out the window after the wedding night.

S***, yeah. Absolutely. No flies on medieval men, no sir. Staking their claim and proving to the world whom the woman belonged to.

..........

Poetry. She was going to read him poetry? Dear sweet God.

Bud plastered a smile on his face "Oh. Um, poetry. That's...ah...nice, honey" ~~

This book has an overlapping storyline with book 1, so it is a good idea to read it in order.

Again, like book 1, it is a humorous, fast paced exciting read, that engages you and makes you care about the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad quick read (book 2), 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Midnight Run: 2 (Midnight series) (Kindle Edition)
This was pretty much like the first book only now it's Clare's and Bud's story.
Clare' s recovering from an illness that kept her incapacitated for quite some years and now she wants to let rip. Being independent, getting a job, her own home and popping her cherry.
Bud is a detective and a friend of John's (book 1) so you can he imagine another alpha male type. He spots Clare at a nightclub and knows she's out of her depth. He rescues her from men who keep trying to chat her up. He's in alpha mode and she's his princess. Thinking he's in for a one night stand he comes a cropper. She sweeps him of his feet.
Plenty of sex and some bonding with a bit of crime thrown in this wasn't a bad story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rough trade meets refined., 30 Sep 2007
This review is from: Midnight Run (Paperback)
Name one real life inspirational cop. I certainly can't do it. So why is this profession so popular with writers? What's more, cops don't actually solve that many crimes. 20% tops. If I only did 20% of my work I'd be given my pink slip. I've seen some really fat slobs in cop uniform lacking even the most basic skills when it comes to dealing with the public. I do admit they are needed to keep the traffic running smoothly but that's hardly glamorous work.

Anyway the hero of this novel is a police lieutenant. With a habit of getting himself shot up. The hero's name is Bud. Personally. I think that's a terrible name for a hero. I suppose it's meant to signify honest-to-goodness blue collar values like hard work, integrity, loyalty. To me it signifies an overly large beer intake, rolls of fat and not being too bright. To the author I think it signifies the ability to go at it hammer and tongs for hours on end and to put up shelves. Not that we get much of the former in this novel. What we do get a lot of is the c-word. I don't have anything against the c-word per se. However when it's used to describe the whole woman as opposed to just a part of her anatomy I do wonder about the person using it in this manner.

The heroine has never done it before! (In an Elora's Cave novel!) And her gentle initiation takes about a third of the story. A tiresome business. I was more interested in Bud's descriptions of his down and dirty times with the waitress. I also didn't see where the romance was. Bud literally steamrollers Claire into an engagement because he's intimidated by her father's wealth and social status. Presumably Claire accepted because he gave her a good time in bed. People have got married for worse reasons than that but it's hardly the stuff of a good romance.

What I enjoyed in the novel were Claire's descriptions of the personalities of the doctors and nurses who treated her in hospital while she was ill. These form only a small part of the story.

And. It needs to be said. Claire and her friends must be the most crime prone trio in the whole of Oregon. Which considering their income bracket is truly amazing.

Finally. Another poor minor character dies horribly in this novel. Todd Armstrong. The token gay friend.

I'm going to read another in the series. Midnight Angel. I just like the fact that the stories are contemporary and feature minor and major issues in current affairs. (In Oregon that is).

Midnight Run: 2 (Midnight series)