on 4 September 2012
Bought this camera used like new for £55 including postage. My only gripe is no record indicator light which would be of great benefit in bright sunshine. Otherwise it is superb, the picture quality is clear and i was able to read the writing on a holiday postcard. The zoom is fantastic! Worth up to £150 but not above due to absent indicator light.
on 13 September 2010
I am a casual video user that wants to take movies and stills when on holiday. My main criteria for a camcordeer were:-
1. Physical size and weight (so it was easy to carry around)
2. Large storage capacity so that many hours of recording could be taken without the need to dump to a secondary device
3. Long battery life
4. Good optical zoom
This camera meets all the above requirements adequately being particularly easy to carry around (smaller and lighter than many digital cams). Picture quality was good for a unit in this price range and controls were simple and adequate. My only irritation with the unit was the hand strap which was too small for anybody with large hands.
on 2 August 2010
I had never owned a camcorder before and have been very pleasantly surprised by this item. The picture quality is very good. The camera may struggle in dim light, but it is pretty much as I would expect. After all it is a hand held camcorder for under £200 and not something Steven Spielberg would go for. I used it to shoot about 45 minutes of video yesterday and could still have got the same again from the battery. It took me about 30 minutes to then transfer this to an external hard drive (15 mins) and then burn a DVD. Sound quality was excellent even shooting in a noisy place.

Previous reviewers have mentioned software problems. I have had no problems at all running the Sony PBM software with Windows XP- it works perfectly. Maybe Sony have ironed out the previous snags. The only minor irritation is that the videos are transferred in a format not read by Realplayer and which run on Windows Media player without any sound. This is not a major problem as they can all be quickly converted to mpg files (using the Sony software). As I plan to burn mine to DVD or play using the Sony software, this is not a major issue for me.
on 15 February 2012
This was bought because of its size, and to replace an older Sony digital tape camcorder. Everything about it is fine, except that the colour on the film it produces is very poor (in all filming conditions); and so the old tape version is back in business.
on 9 September 2010
I previously used a canon camcorder. While that one was not too bad, it wasn't convenient at all times.. carrying cassettes around and it was just slightly bulky (as compared to the newer models)

Enter Sony DCRSX33ES. I saw it in John Lewis and was impressed by its compactness. Only downside was that it used flash and i was not aware how it stores the movies... I ordered it off amazon as it was 10 quid cheaper and got myself a 16GB SD card (the camcorder takes SD or Sony Memory Stick)

Pros:
* Its very very compact.
* It has a lens cover and it will tell you if the cover is closed.
* Powers On auotmatically as you open the LCD
* Takes SD card - thank goodness for finally getting it Sony
* 60X zoom
* Haptic feedback when using the touchscreen
* While it doesnt have a HDD, if you fill you card up, you always have the choice of buying a new one - no matter where you are

Cons:
* Its Standard Definition (I got it as i just wanted something to record - not necessarily at 1080P)
* Stores movies as Mpeg2 - Could have done with Mpeg4 or Divx

I am glad i got this camcorder. Its already done a good job recording my daughter's first visit to Disneyland
99 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2011
I didn't buy my SX33 from Amazon but as I find the reviews very useful on here I thought i'd add my findings too...

I bought a high end standard definition Sony DV Camcorder back in 1999 and though the picture quality is very good it's now a bit bulky and I have to dump the tape content onto a DVD recorder before I can get it onto my laptop for editing (as it doesn't have firewire) so I was looking for something small and very portable that uses flash memory that I could easily copy onto my computer.

As I tend to put things on Youtube more than DVDs I wasn't too fussed about picture quality and having looked at things like Flip cameras I decided on the Sony as it was on special offer in the Sony shop as it is now a discontinued model which brought it down into the Flip camera price range and despite being larger than the Flip the amount of extra features made it a no brainer.

Pros
Size, weight and portability - Easy to put in a jacket pocket.
Ease of getting media onto PC for editing.
60 times optical zoom. Awesome!
Simple user interface. Mine was a display model and didn't come with a manual and I found getting around the menu and messing with various settings very easy.
Despite what other users have posted, i've found the battery life quite acceptable and would normally consider buying multiple batteries anyway for when going on holiday, etc...

Cons
Picture quality. I'd give it 5 stars if it wasn't for that.
Really, it's my only (but pretty major) complaint. Despite picture quality not being high on my list of priorities I did think it would be a lot better. I was fooled by the cameras display. On camera everything looks nice and crisp but when watching on a high end Sony Bravia the quality sucks even when filmed outside in sunshine (unlike my 12 year old standard def DV tape camcorder which still looks great on the Bravia).
For my original intention of putting clips on Youtube it is perfect and the quality is more than adequate and i'm very pleased at the price I got it for. But on leaving the shop I had hoped it might also replace my old DV tape camcorder too.
At least I know for next time, make sure I get a demo displaying the output on a TV too.
on 2 November 2010
Straightforward, easy-to-use and producing excellent results. Very compact and lightweight - I also fitted my digital still camera along with it into the recommended carrying case. The comparatively small size was a bit of a surprise at first as I had had a dinosaur of a video camera in the past. Touchscreen is easy to use and the controls are obvious, although keep the instruction book handy if you are new to camcorders. The memory card is very straightforward and you can either transfer videos to PC using the enclosed cable and software or (as I do) just flip out the card and use my PC's card reader, couldn't be simpler. I get about 70-80 mins with the supplied battery. I bought a 16Gb card at the same time, this gives me about 2hrs storage at the standard definition i.e. the default one - fine for about 90% of what most people video. The only slightly disconcerting aspect is that on the box it had a bright notice saying 'now's the time to buy a 2nd battery'! Not the best way to reassure new buyers. I guess I will get a second battery at some stage but for usual family events etc. the supplied one is fine. For the price, a very good buy.
on 9 September 2010
I was delighted with the size and how easy it is to use. The clarity is excellent and sound good. Have not tried videoing in dim light so cannot pass comment. I did not have any difficulty with the software but my poor old computer certainly slowed down after I had loaded it. Bateery life is good and filmimg time is more than enough for what I need.I think it is good value for money and I like the touch screen operation.
on 26 November 2011
The delivery and packing was excellent, Camera and instructions dead easy to follow and video taken on holiday were great and easy to use, the burning to disc cannot be easyer and the method is well instructed in the neat handbook. great still pictures and fun to use due to the cameras size,so much so that another one was purchased as a present which again arrived very quickly, the company should be proud of their service
on 23 September 2010
The product is really good.. sony again proved their quality.. This product does not have any internal memory we have to use the external memory cards for recording..The touch screen really good..

Bad think about this product, Battery life is not adequate..for Photo dont think about this item

I am giving 4 because of video quality, zooming capacity..touch screen function....