Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
Style Name: N300 + Megabit PortChange
Price:£25.33+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 January 2011
I thought I would post a review of the product, as there are very few BT-specific reviews here and I spent a long time trying to work out which routers would work with a BT connection.

I know very little about broadband and the seemingly endless abbreviations that go with it (I'm sick of hearing people going on and on about ADSL, DSL, PPPoE, MBP, LAN, WAN, WEP, WPA, VPN without explaining what the hell they are!)

We had a standard BT wirer router for our broadband connection. The first thing to point out is how easy this new router is to set up. The instruction booklet is very clear about setup, and if you have any doubts, the setup CD confirms it all and even has a little video showing how to connect the various confusing wires into the right places. I know generally what each one does but the video assumes you are a complete novice, so it's extra clear and helpful. It tells you what LEDs will light up on the device when you've got it all right.

Once you've connected the 3 or so wires to the right place, you run the CD in a computer, and follow the simple steps outlined in the instruction booklet. When it comes to configuring the device, you just select your ISP (Internet Service Provider) from the drop down menu (in my case BT), and make sure "PPPoE" is the selected option just below it.

The only problem came in the next stage, where after a bit of loading it asks you for a PPPoE username and password (still don't know what PPPoE stands for, don't really care either). This PPPoE, it says, should be provided by your Service provider. For a BT customer, you need to enter the username "bthomehubATbtbroadbandDOTcom" (replace the AT with @ and DOT with .). The password is "bt". Thank you to the very helpful man on the BT Customer helpline for that. This is THE standard BT PPPoE username and password and works for ALL makes of wireless router, providing it is compatible with BT (look for routers with an ADSL or ADSL2 configuration).

That is the only "what do I do" moment of the whole setup, the rest is just leaving the default settings that the router provides for you and clicking Next all the way to the end. No need to enter any other weird obscure passwords or codes. It provides you with a Product Key during the process, so write that down. (It's basically a password that means only you will be able to access your wireless connection).

Minus the phone call to BT it probably took about 15 minutes to set up. Wireless works great from the other end of the house (brick walls in between). If it helps you decide, we live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields, where signal is usually pretty poor. I have also connected a second computer via a wired connection (there are 4 sockets at the back of the unit for a standard wired connection), and my Playstation 3 via a wired one too, although that could use the wireless if I wanted to.

Hope this has helped if you're with BT and wondering if this'll work.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 August 2010
I recently bought this item after a fair amount of searching for a reasonably priced, solid wireless n router. Up until now I have been using a netgear with which i've had a lot of trouble, particularly with the stability of the internet connection and the ability to watch any form of streaming video, for instance BBC iPlayer on my iPhone. Having set my newly acquired TP-LINK router up in under 5 minutes through the extremely easy configuration interface, I now have a rock solid and (on my newer devices with the appropriate network card) a lightning quick internet connection. Even on the older devices that only support the wireless g standard the connection is very fast.

I appreciate that there are lot of wireless routers out there that portray themselves as being fast, but by far the most important thing when acquiring a router is to make sure that it has a good solid stable connection. The impact of various factors such as interference, noise on the line etc can all lead to instabilities however this router is able to deal with them extremely well.

Do not be put off by the only negative review of this router, there are a couple of details that you may need from your ISP however the router gives you the option of entering the more standard ISPs (mine being BT broadband) during the setup and auto-populates those values for you. The only thing I needed to enter was the ISP username and password, encryption type and security key which is all pretty standard stuff.
on 17 April 2011
Over recent weeks I've been looking around at the Apple Time Capsule, a 2TB (or 1TB) Network Connected Hard Disk which also acts as a 802.11n access point for higher speed media sharing and backups. However, at £325 I just couldn't justify the cost and therefore I started looking at alternative solutions. I picked the TP-Link TD-W8960N as the communications part of my plan! If anybody is interested the Western Digital - WD 2TB MyBook (2TB) is the other half. Together they form the perfect alternative!

Right back to theTD- W8960N.

In the box you get the router, a couple of telephone cables, power adapter, filter and a few random sheets of paper (including a quick start guide) and a mini CD. Everything was well packaged; you'd have to be quite unlucky to get an item damaged in transit.

After plugging everything up, whack the CD in your drive (which is a little difficult of you don't have a 'tray' style CD loader), run the setup program and off you go. you need to select your country and ISP, security settings and that's about it. You will need you PPP password which isn't always the case; I didn't have this for my old NetGear device. Once I'd obtained that everything was dead simple!

I've noticed a significant improvement in connectivity speeds for the newer network devices in the house; it seems more than happy with iMac, MacBook, iPhone, wifes HP Laptop and Sony Blu Ray player connected wirelessly, and the WD Network hard disk wired. Running a 277GB backup over the wireless and watching iPlayer on my BluRay didn't seem to pose any issues what so ever. I also get good range on my iPhone so I can use the wireless when a good distance up the garden.

All in all I think this is a brilliant device and a fantastic price point; it's circa £60 cheaper than the NetGear equivalent and from my point of view couldn't do anything better.

User interface works well, good range, no issues running multiple devices, fairly simple to setup. If you're a proper techie it does all kinds of other stuff with a configurable firewall, remote access etc.

If you're concerned that this isn't a big brand...don't be.
on 2 April 2010
TP-Link Wireless N-ADSL Modem Router Model TD-W8960N I bought this router to upgrade my Belkin 11g router that began dropping the connection on my wireless network, anyhow. I ordered this TP Link router because it was by far the cheapest N ADSL modem router out-there, but with only 1 review on it I was a bit nervous. Also at the time I did not like the look of it, purely aesthetics I suppose. Now I absolutely LOVE how it looks, a bit retro. The despatch time was extremely quick about 3Days from order to delivery.
So far so good. What's in the box? The router and all the cables you'll need, albeit slightly short, at least they were for me, an ADSL splitter and the installation CD. I didn't need these because my existing Belkin router, power cable, phone line and ethernet cable etc was all the same, so I just plugged these into the TP Link router.
The router was a complete breeze to set up I just inserted the CD as instructed, followed the on screen instructions entered all my credentials from my ISP i.e. username password etc. When the CD finished loading my internet was connected, it really was as easy as that. The speed is quite good upto 300Mbps on the other PC using an Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card. I'm so glad I bought this very capable Router.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 September 2011
Bought this to replace my old Belkin g-router which worked well... for while. For reasons still unknown at random times it would drop the internet connection to the router, directly from the telephone line which is impossible and is proved by this tp-link never losing connection.

Anyway onto the TP-Link, arrived quickly (thanks to Amazon) and first impression, a good looking device. Firstly the upgrade from the old wireless g to a wireless n, like many others was pretty much unnoticeable, with no increased speed or coverage. But still happy and works well for my needs.

Setting it up - most hassle-free piece of computer tech I've encountered. Simply follow the wizard and you'll be up and running in under five minutes. Security easy to set up and again the wizard will guide you through it.

Been using it for a few months now and still no quarrels with it, havent had to alter it since startup and it just does the job well.

Positives:
good looking
easy set-up
great price for a adsl router

Negatives:
gets slightly warm (but not anything to worry about)
n-wireless doesnt seem to be a great leap forward (but hardly the routers fault)

Overall - Very good buy, have confidence in a consistent wireless and wired internet access.
on 7 April 2015
I usually spend a lot of time researching products and make use of customer and trade press reviews before buying anything. Its therefore the first time I have had to return something to Amazon (I spend a lot !) and the first time I have given a 1 star review ......and the first time I have been disappointed with TP-Link. I consider myself to be a tech savvy and have a home network that consists of number of nearly all TP-Link devices that I have bough over the years. I consider the brand to offer excellent quality and good value for money. I bought this router for my Mum to replace an aging Linksys (non Wirless N) router. Can you imagine my annoyance when she was constantly calling me to say she couldn't get on the internet. As I wasn't with the router for long enough periods it took me a long time to diagnose the WiFi kept dropping out (The SSID would disappear completely) but then the devices that had previously authenticated wouldn't reconnect. I saw this happen several times and checked the onboard log which revealed not a lot !

After some searching on line, I discovered in the TP LInk forums that this is a common problem with this device. I noticed that some of the posts were over a year old and that new firmware was released in Feb 15 for this unit. I downloaded and installed the new firmware but still the same problems occurred at random intervals. I used an Android WiFi scanner app to check for significant interference and moved the cordless phone away etc (usual stuff) but I was able to witness the WiFi drop out on the analyser.

I couldn't find any solution to the problem reported by many customers in the TP Link forum so I returned the unit.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 December 2010
Took ages to arrive due to bad weather(2 weeks) so was eager to set it up as my other modem died. Setup very easy less than 15mns with cable. updated my pc and within half hour it stopped working. Check few bit and found out that the power supply wasn't working anymore. I digged out a new power supply and back online. I will update this review as I finish setup my network but be ready for a spare power supply. 5 stars for quick easy setup 0 star for reability average on a cautious 2 stars.
03-01-2011
It has been ok since but can't get any wireless connection. Internet support service about average but with no solution just generic response i.e How to setup wireless connection. Thanks but no thank. It is going back to amazon for an exchange as it maybe a faulty unit due to power supply burn out ?

15-01-2011

I have received the replacement unit and it is working fine. Wireless working now, must have been a faulty unit. 4****
on 25 February 2013
Bought two of these to supply and install for one customer and also to replace my own router at home (I am a computer technician). Easy to set up, rather bizarre-looking but up and running in no time at all. But..... my home one had problems straight away. The broadband was slow, intermittent and kept dropping off.
Checked all settings, should have been no problem. Sync speed was fine, download speeds were terrible. Streaming services such as iPlayer and Netflix were impossible to watch.

Had a call from the customer who I installed the other one for, and hers was exactly the same.
Amazon took these two back with no hassle, so full marks to Amazon.
It's a shame, because TP-Link make some very good network switches, these were just a duff batch I feel.

Also, why do Amazon insist on lumping reviews of different models together? It's infuriating because a newer model might be a big improvement, but will get the bad marks from the previous model, and vice-versa.

I'm now using a Billion 7800N - a lot more expensive, but so far the most reliable router I have ever used!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 October 2013
When users change out modems they should expect any new router to initiate a 10-day training period with the exchange equipment. During this period the downstream attenuation, noise margin and sync rate will all fluctuate, and the connection will frequently drop and re-establish.

With this in mind I replaced my old Netgear with the TP-Link 8968 (only difference a USB post) and started a roller coaster of connectivity issues. Once retrain had completed the router performed perfectly, and the wifi coverage is excellent. I had 2 pc in the house that always grumbled when connecting to a NetGear, and I was always swapping wifi USB dongles and fiddling with firmware. When the TP-LINK went in they all worked flawlessly.

It's easy to manage except for the DNS settings which can cause confusion. I have a fixed IP and use OpenDNS for parental control and put the DNS addresses in the wrong place initially but soon had this sorted.

The only reason this doesn't get 5 stars is that there is a problem with large downloads. Bittorrent overnight downloads (to utilise non-metered bandwidth) do cause the router to drop the connection to the Radius server and it can take hours to re-establish. Usually a reboot causes a faster reconnection and all is OK until the next big download. Forums indicate this is not uncommon.

But if you're a casual user this is a good performing router at an insane price.

A corporate user friend of mine that manages around 60 ADSL circuits is just starting to roll out these to replace Cisco 887 soho routers. You can buy 6 or 8 of these TP-LINK routers for the same price as a Cisco 887VA and they hold up 2 x IPSEC VPN just as well.

I'm hoping a future firmware fix will fix my connectivity issues then it will get 5*
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 April 2013
I bought this after a Billion BiPAC 7800N gave up after a couple of years, and that was a replacement for a Linksys WAG160N which was never any good, seemingly needing a changing sequence of turning it off and on to get it to connect with the wireless printer. The Billion was a great improvement on the Linksys, but for the money (about £120), I expected it to be. I thought the Billion was good when it was working, but not good enough to replace it with the same model when it died. So after a search I plumped for this TP-Link, which for under £30 I viewed as a gamble that wasn't too costly if it didn't pay off.

So far the TP-Link has been impressive. Connecting to all our wireless gadgets about the house; computers, wireless printer, internet radio, blu-ray player, was achieved in seconds after pressing the appropriate WPS button on the unit. The signal stength has been consistently stronger than any previous router we've used, and the acid test; watching BBC iplayer via the Sony blu-ray player was passed with flying colours, much better than the lurching Billion ever managed.

I don't use any of wired connections to the unit, and after only a week of it, I can't comment on its longevity. But, so far it has been what I was hoping previous routers would have been but never were. Given the price is half what the Linksys was (now obsolete) and a quarter of what the Billion is (still current), it's far superior in terms of value for money. At last a router that does what I want of it.