5.0 out of 5 stars From a BT customer, great
I thought I would post a review of the product, as there are very few BT-specific reviews here and I spent a long time trying to work out which routers would work with a BT connection.

I know very little about broadband and the seemingly endless abbreviations that go with it (I'm sick of hearing people going on and on about ADSL, DSL, PPPoE, MBP, LAN, WAN, WEP,...
Published on 7 Jan 2011 by E. Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much difference to my G router, slightly disappointed
After a few months of waiting for N routers to drop in price I decided to take a punt on TP-Link. The main reasons for my upgrading were to improve computer to computer data transfer rates as well as to benefit from the extended range wireless N offers. After my initial excitement, once I had set the router up I very dismayed to find that compared to the old standard...
Published on 2 Oct 2010 by Shuttle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 486 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up and pretty good performance, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Personal Computers)
Bought this recently. Arrived, got it out of the box and discovered that it had one of those hideous mini-cd roms that you can't use with macs, That was really annoying. However the manual set up was dead easy via a web browser (Safari in my case). Had it on line and working within minutes, attached to the internet, apple tv and two computers. Attached to my Blu Ray player via ethernet. Only four stars because of the useless mini-cd. Otherwise good kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TD-W8960N Router, 31 Oct 2010
A. D. Smalls "AlanS" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this router to replace a Netgear which had become more and more tempremental.
Exremely easy to set up following using the Quick Set Up Wizard, although I had to use the Set Up part od the CD to set the security settings on the device.
Conneced to the internet immediately, and there have been no problems whatsoever so far.
I was impressed by how well made the device was - a very solid feel to the casing with excellent connectors. All at a good price too

4.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK TD-W8960N, 20 Oct 2010
Router was easy to set up and seems to have a pretty good range. The speeds are good. Good value form the price, would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars New- TP-Link TD -W8960N, 23 Sep 2010
Mr. A. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I have limited experience at setting up wireless/modem/routers.

I tried for about 20 minutes to set it up on my own, by means of the Easy Set Up. I kept getting error messages. I the end I had to use some of the cables supplied with the new router, although the other cables should have been similar.

I had to go the help line, the fist Asian lady I spoke to, I got so far, and then I had to re dial to speak with some one I could understand. I had to open the web browser with the following: 192.168.1.1
I then followed the instructions on the phone. Eventually I managed to get connected to the internet

I would estimate that the time taken to set up would have been 60-70 minutes.(minimum)

The product seems to be well made, and the connection & transfer speed is better than my previous G Router.

The price is excellent and as far I can see, cannot be beaten, for this type of product. I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars tp-link adsl w8960n 300Mbps router, 7 Aug 2010
i purchased the wireless router to replace my talk-talk g-router
to give me faster speed+greater range,which it has done very well.
set-up took afew attempts,but got it configered+connected to the
internet.fully spec'd router+exellent value for money.
highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Router TP-Link TD-W8960N N ADSL2+ Modem Router, 8 Oct 2010
Recently I was looking to upgrade my O2 Thomson modem router, and go for the wireless N revolution... After doing many searches I found this beauty from TP Link, it may not be a big brand but do not be put off... It has good reviews to suggest the quality and not just in the uk, forget the linksys and belkins. Immediately my wireless connection was getting 18mbs before I was getting 10mbs out of a 20mb O2 broadband on my apple imac.. Aswell as the range has improved vastly, the router took minutes to install so easy straight off the cd.. Couldn't be more happier with my purchase.. If your looking for a Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router look no further you won't be disappointed and very good price....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value, 1 July 2011
I purchased this router to replace the one my ISP(Talk Talk) had provided, which was a D-Link. The reason for this is because of consistently poor performance from the D-link router and regular connections drops. So I ripped it out and put in the TP-Link - which was a fairly easy process. Only problem I found was the that the software provided to aid in the initial set-up wasn't brilliant. It consisted of images detailing what you need to do with a "next" process. Once you had done them, it lead into a set-up wizard at the end by a link which wouldn't work for me. Clicking on it just wouldn't launch the application. I managed to get around this by finding the application manually by exploring the CD. At this stage the router was all plugged in a ready to go, I just needed to enter the details of my ISP and account into the mentioned wizard - which then tested the connection. That was all that needed to be done and took no more than 30 minutes. I have been using this router for about a month now and I haven't had one connection drop in that period! Which is a vast improvement compared to the original D-link. I have been extremely pleased with the product and I would certainly recommend to anybody who is also having the same issues with dropping internet connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars ===> The *BEST* Entry Level WiFi RouterModem, 15 Jan 2011
S. Mark Gee - See all my reviews
You will spend ages looking at all the various component bits (I did) and features you need for your home network (maybe also small business). You will probably buy a few bits only later to realise they are wrong.

This is the one you want to buy. It's got all the features and it's the cheapest. AND it seems to work for me.

1. It's 2011 so you need 300MBPS wireless N - this unit has it. this is the fastest furthest reaching signal.
2. You might have a fast ADSL2 broadband connections - this baby can handle that.
3. Has the holes you need for a wired network

the old technology is wireless B and G. That's slower and does not go as far. If any of your PCs still have these components then your connection will not be improved in terms of speed or distance probably. That is why some reviewers do not notice an improvement. So if you buy this then also buy wireless N adapters for your PCs.

If you have a mostly wired network like me) then you might wonder why I say you should buy this as it only does a WIRED network at 10/100 speed ie NOT gigabit. Well when you have to reboot your modem all your open files will be lost...that is the problem with relying on a bit such as this as the central 'hub' of your network So you want to buy this unit AND a gigabit switch. Link all your wired connections into the switch and the switch into this modem router. The speed of your broadband connection is less than the 10/100 speed so that is why you only need 10/100 speed to go from this unit to your switch.

If you really want only one network hub device (all-in-one) AND you have wired gigabit connections then you DO NOT want this device. Go for the next one up with faster gigabit lan ports.

This unit easily connects my blackberries and my sons WII and the kid's XP and my windows 7 computers. They all work.

-ve points
other than above none. The configuration software is easy enough. The only thing i couldn't configure was the MRU the maximum recieve packet size...not a key feature!! don't worry. The config software seemed tolose my previous config if ever i tried to redo any of it so i had to re-enter all the info...a bit annoying. Have updated to the latest firmware but not yet tested if that makes any difference.

UPDATE: July 2011
All is mostly good. Works for weeks without needing restarting.
On the downside I did have to re-enter all the settings (ie effectively re-install it) as the wifi connection to my son's zen touch 2 would just not work. Rebuilding/re-starting did work. This time i remembered to save the configuration settings afterwards to make it easier next time i might have to do this.
I do have some issues with "internet pausing" thos this could be my pc or the ISP or this unit....I don't know and will probably never find out! Never last for more than a minute or so though.

A negative point i have just discovered. I had this great super secure home network for my kids. Controlling their internet access via microsoft family safety (which is free and nice). However as soon as you let them access the net from their Wii or their ipad or their zen touch or whatever you lose all that control and they have free access to everything!!! THE ONLY SOLUTION to that will rely on a router (ie the unit in this review) having control features. Now this unit does have features you COULD use but it would be impractical to do so in reality. All you can sensibly do is stop internet access for a certain device at a certain time and that involves using MAC addresses and I have to say is not straightforward and I'm technical. However I would not place this as a bad point against this product as Iwould imagine all the competitors are the same!

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, 5 Nov 2010
At last, a wireless router that just works. I have tried several, and the best of them lasted around 12 hours before it siezed up and needed restarting. This one is on 5 days so far and no problems at all. I started to doubt you could get a wireless router that just worked, well you can, and it's this one.

Added 17/12/10 - after six weeks there is some instability in the wireless connections, but an upgrade to the latest firmware and a restriction to 20MHz band seem to have fixed them. Still much better than any other box we've tried. Reduced to 4 starts.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent Wireless N ADSL router overall, but with some reservations, 17 Dec 2010
Not all ADSL routers are the same and in the efforts to drive down consumer price there have I fear been too many cut corners by the leading brand names so that although features have been added the quality and useful life has often been reduced. Having previously purchased low cost Wireless N PCI network cards from T-Link I decided to go to them to replace my router when my D-Link apparently failed to power up.

The TP-Link router was easy to set up although I did have to recourse to contacting TP-Link help line to ask about the correct MTU setting and how to change it directly to optomise the web browsing as my IPS (TalkTalk) specifify a different setting to both the router default and Windows 7. Getting the MTU value miss-matched can have a very detremental effect on the ADSL speed cutting the effective speed by as much as 50%.

Once the MTU was tuned (note this is long winded because you can't apparently set it alone and have to go through the full set up wizards each time unlike Netgear, D-Link Belkin etc) the ADSL speed was acceptible and as good my D-Link had been although latency on PING to bbc.co.uk or ms.com were typicall slower i.e. to BBC.co.uk on D-Link and Belkin before it would be 20ms to 22ms and with TL-Link 28ms to 35ms. TP-Link support could offer no explaination.

So why di I keep it? Well:-

1, The upgrade from Wireless G to Wireless N increased connection speed from 54MB to 130 MB to my PC in same room and increased speed from 36MB to 130MB and signal strength from 1 to 3 bars to my daughters PC in an ajoining room

2, The signal at the extreme corner of the house is a useable 64MB on a low signal where there was no signal with D-Link

3, The reliability of the ADSL connection is excellent with only one dropped line in 2 months and that during a time of a noisy line fault

So taken together a worth while purchase.

A warning to all

On a post script I discovered on the Forums(as per my original point on cut corners) that D-Link routers often suffer from this no Power Up problem. Strangely when returned to D-Link they test OK, but those who have sent router and power supply back to D-Link have often had the powerpack replaced. Someone suggested that using an old style heavy transformer type power pack is better. Sure enough I retrived the D-Link from the bin and powered it with an old transformer type power pack at same 12v and 1A and the thing powered up perfectly and is now my back up suold I need it. It is probably true that light wieght transformerless switched power supplies are slightly more efficient and cheaper to produce, but I wonder how many modern appiences have found their way into land fill because of the underperforming PSU?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 486 | Next ›