Style Name: N300 + Megabit Port|Change

on 11 September 2012
I bought this router after reading the reviews. I have only just opened it as have been busy and nervous of setting it up, so I waited until I had someone with me who is good at that kind of thing!!
First fault is that the power cable and telephone cable are far too short, I only just managed to plug them in and if you knock anything the wires will come out.
It was very simple to follow the disc instructions to set up with an ethernet connection, the problem came when attempting to use it wirelessly, (the whole point)!
It took 2 different people and hours on the net to find out why it wouldnt work. It turned out that the channel frequency was set to America. This should not happen when it is being sold in Uk.
Now it is working, I am very happy with it. It seems to have a good range and is much quicker than my last one. So yes, I would recommend it, but check the channels are correct first!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
Lovely piece of kit and my saviour!!! My existing Home Hub 2 Wireless Router on Infinity was suffering drop-outs and becoming almost useless in maintaining reliable Wi Fi connections. This applied especially to both Apple and Sumsung Wireless devices. Funnily enough, Android wireless devices didn't seem to suffer as much. After some research, I discovered on the Official BT Broadband Forum the recommendation that this device is a good functional replacement for the BT Home Hub 2 PROVIDED YOU DON'T HAVE A PHONE NETWORK. As mentioned earlier, I have a BT infinity connection. To connect the new Wireless Router you will still need to use the RJ45 ethernet broadband connection lead from your white line converter supplied by BT. Simply Plug RJ45 ethernet lead into the WAN / LAN 4 RJ45 socket on the Wireless/router. (The ADSL2+ socket on the Wireless/router is NOT used with Infinity.) This gives 3 other RJ45 ports on the device for your remaining wired network devices.

The next point is to make sure you have the LATEST firmware within your new wireless/router for the hardware version you have bought. The hardware version is printed on the label on the underside of the unit. My new wireless/router was version 4 hardware but had been shipped with an out-of-date firmware which simply didn't give the correct fields to configure Ethernet over WAN/LAN 4 and enter your BT user & password information to obtain a BT connection. Once the latest version of firmware was downloaded and installed then I simply followed the quick set-up option available on the web page. Initially after unboxing the device and connecting it up it took me an hour to figure out why I couldn't couldn't configure the device. Once I twigged that the firmware needed updating then I was connected back onto Infinity within 30 mins.

Other points to note are:
- the unit is shipped with password and user name defaulted to admin & admin.
- The default web page address to access the device is 192.168.1.1.

My wireless connectivity is now rock solid and I can now ditch that crappy Home Hub 2. (It was only 2 years old.) Hope this helps those in a similar situation.

:-)
on 13 November 2011
This is a good Wireless router which has not dropped my line once since I have had it (over 6 months). Unfortunately the external power adaptor failed after about 6 months so I returned it back to Amazon and obtained a new one under the guarantee.
on 18 February 2012
it was delivered quickly in good condition. It was easy to set up and worked very well from the off.so far no problems with one wireless and two wired computers fed through it.All the horrors expected with setting up wireless system non existent.Instructions and on screen set up logical and easy.would recommend.
on 18 March 2012
Bought this as a replacement for the Netgear DGN1000.

The Reason I needed to buy a new one was due to the fact that the Netgear wasn't Annex M compliant.

After reading other reviews about the 8961 model I decided to go for this one instead. Setup wasn't the easiest I've experienced, but not the worst by far. Had the router for 3 days now and it's been stable and otherwise reliable. I didn't use the included setup CD, instead going for the browser method (ignoring the sticker saying "please insert CD first" as I know how to setup routers without the included software). Doesn't run too hot and looks OK as routers go.

Wireless strength is above average, streams movies to the XBox just fine (using Netflix/LoveFilm etc). Wee tip for you - install inSSIDer on your PC/laptop and this will tell you which wireless channels your neighbours are using, leaving you free to pick one that isn't 'busy'.
on 12 August 2014
Used both as an ADSL model and now a Fibre alongside my openreach from BT / Talk talk connection, very stable good wifi range through thick walls of old fashioned house, however if you want more throughput definitely reccomend the upgrade i will be shortly to the AC1750 -

Tech support from TP Link is basic and hard to understand if you have a problem, if your a tech expert and use to these day in and day out like i am then you will be fine.
on 17 October 2015
bought this to replace a talktalk router that I wasn't convinced gave me the best performance. this router? easy to set up, no internet problems since I installed it ( ie no dropped connection) all menus easy to understand, good price. all in all a good buy.
on 21 January 2013
Bought this to replace a Plusnet supplied Thomson TG585v7 ADSL modem + wireless router that was dropping my Internet connection from time to time and needed rebooting. It became a pain when customer service kept asking if I had another modem to test my connection with so I thought I'd buy another unit. In fairness for the price I wasn't expecting that much though reviews looked good. I was pleasantly surprised - this box is easy to setup, far more reliable than the Thomson unit and wireless is faster (The Thomson only supported up to Wireless G standard). It's a smart looking box and the leds are much clearer to read than the Thomson. Been using it for 9 months now and very pleased with it's reliability. Compared to Belkin, Netgear, and Linksys among others I've used this is easily as good and great value. Five stars!
on 29 February 2012
Don't try to set up without the WAN password - if you use the EASY Set up supplied disk with WAN password you will be up and working perfectly in side 20mins (and remember to note all the passwords generated by the unit).
on 4 December 2011
I bought this router to replace my old "g" D-Link router so that all my network devices would be "n".

First of all the good stuff: price was good and delivery swift. Easy set up and thanks to Ed Clarke for his very helpful review and tips on the BT ISP passwords. My wired broadband speed increased from 6mb on the old router to about 16mb on this one, which I am very pleased with.

However, I have found the range of the TP-Link router quite poor: I live in a flat on a high floor and the signal does not reach to the other side of my flat. There is a wall in the way, but it is only plasterboard which not be a major obstacle. The old D-Link had better range.

Also, I had to spend a lot of time setting the router up to see and print to my Epson Aculaser CX21N. The TP-Link phone line support was terrible: someone who could barely speak English, who clearly did not want to deal with my problem and obviously wanted to get me off the line as quickly as possible. Ditto the email support service who said go away and figure it out with Epson. Many thanks to the Epson online chat service who patiently helped me sort the problem and now it seems to work. I know networks are a nightmare and I am very much an amateur but I would have thought the router would have been plug and play for such a common printer. The old D-Link just saw the printer and set it up.

Overall I would have given this four stars were it not for the poor customer service and the printer problems.