5.0 out of 5 stars It works without fuss
Whilst the Dell xps 17 is a good laptop, one major oversight is the lack of a VGA port which meant that I had to find alternative ways of connect it to display output devices when running presentations and workshops at several customer sites.

Published on 4 Oct. 2011 by Vic

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Poor quality. Doesn't fit properly and requires to be held up in order to work. Wouldn't buy again. Shop somewhere else
Published 16 months ago by Jacques Rascagneres

5.0 out of 5 stars It works without fuss, 4 Oct. 2011
This review is from: StarTech Mini DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter (Personal Computers)

Not being aware that the laptop had a mini displayport (MDP) output, I tried a very expensive and not altogether successful solution around converting HDMI to VGA. A customer mentioned his surprise that I had MDP on my non mac device and I pretend to know what he was talking about as he plugged in his apple MDP to VGA adapter to connect to his projector for an instant display on his projector.

Cursing my expensive lack of knowledge, I chose this product over the apple and other brands as a) it was cheaper and b) was confirmed by another amazon customer to work on Dell laptops.

One thing I have discovered is that if at first it doesn't appear to work, you may need to play around with the display settings on your laptop and on the output device to find a common resolution as not all output devices support hi res and not all are clever enough to auto detect the resolution of the input device.

Having said that, it works flawlessly and is very small which means it doesn't add much weight and bulk to my already full to bursting laptop bag. I just leave it in the bag safe in the knowledge that I always have a no fuss solution to connecting to external displays when on site. One less thing to think about, so money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked much better than Apple's version for me, 16 May 2012
100% flawless operation on my Apple Macbook Pro when connected to my old Mitsubshi Diamond Plus CRT monitor.

I needed a mini displayport to VGA converter to connect my Macbook Pro to my monitor, which only has VGA connectivity. Initially, I bought Apple's version of this adapter as I figured that it would probably work better, being of the same brand and presumably designed and tested to work with the Macbook. However, I found that with the Apple version connected, the monitor would flicker and go blank quite often. I had noticed on the internet that Apple's adapter was known to exhibit this problem in some cases and that Apple had issued a firmware update for it to correct the known problem. I tried that update and it reported that my monitor wasn't supported so it would not perform the update. This may have fixed it for other uses with different monitors, of course.

The other problem with the Apple version was that the design prevented the thread of the thumbscrews on my VGA monitor cable from being screwed in to secure it to the adapter. While the cable didn't fall out, it would not have been robust to movement and if I had been using it in a projector environment for example, the cable could have easily come unseated.

So, I sent the Apple one back (Amazon refunded without a problem) and bought this Startech version (also through Amazon) based on the good reviews on this site. It performs 100% flawlessly on the Macbook Pro with my monitor (so far). Furthermore, the design allows the VGA cable thumbscrews to work as designed to hold the VGA cable in place. OK, it's not as pretty as Apple's sleek white version, but it's not ugly, works perfectly and is of a better functional design than the Apple version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini-DisplayPort on New Dells: Resolving issues with output to projectors in Windows 7, 24 Mar. 2012
Don't use MAC mini-display adapters with Dell laptops... use this Startech.com adapter it works brilliantly. I bought a new Dell XPS1702 laptop and had trouble with my MAC minidisplay port adapter even using it with 2 different VGA cables! One worked the other didn't. After looking through forums I found this article(see below). I took the advice and purchased this adapter and hey presto both cables now work perfectly! I use my laptop onsite and need to plug into many different screen/projector setups and I cannot take the chance on having problems plugging in. I also purchased the Startech DVI connector... anyway please read this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully this will be helpful for those buying new laptops, as I'm sure I won't be the only person around that will run into this problem in the near future with Windows 7 and VGA Min-DisplayPort adapters from Apple.

TL;DR version for those that don't care about the tech: If you buy a new Dell laptop which you plan to put Windows 7 on, check to see if it has a VGA port or a Mini-DisplayPort. If it only has a Mini-DisplayPort you will need an adapter to connect to most of the projectors you are likely to encounter which take a VGA connection. Don't bother with the one from Apple, it seems to fail on many projectors when using Windows 7. Buy the StarTech model MDP2VGA, it seems to work without issue from what I've tested. The Apple one will work in some cases, but you don't know for sure till you try, so it's most likely safer to get the StarTech one. I'm not sure on other brands like MonoPrice yet, but would like to hear reports.

Tech Stuff: I recently got a new laptop, a Dell XPS L502X. It had not occurred to me to check to see if it had a VGA port, as all the laptops I've ever owned have had one up till now. Well, I got it and it had no VGA port, which is a problem for me when I go to do presentations. After showing it to some colleagues, we figured out it had a Mini-DisplayPort, which up till now you would mostly only find on Mac laptops (which is why when you look around for a Mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter, most of the ones you will find are from Apple). I went to my buddy to see if the Mac Adapter (Model MB572Z/A or A1307 depending on where you look) would function. Well, it did work on the monitor in his office, so I thought I was good to go. I went to a few conferences, and found out I could not get the laptop to connect to the projectors there (at least not in Windows 7, it would connect in Linux so I knew the adapter worked). There was also at least one at work that did not function. We even tried updating the firmware on the A1307 (yes, it has a firmware update), but it was already at the newest revision. After doing some playing around, I figured out it would not connect to a monitor or projector that did not send EDID or DDC2 info. I replicated this by ripping pin 12 out of a VGA cable. EDID and DDC2 are protocols your monitor/projector/display uses to tell the computer what resolutions it supports, along with other details. If you see a monitor in Device Manager that says "Non Plug and Play" it likely is not sending EDID/DDC2 information. The Dell XPS laptop would connect ok if I first hooked it to a monitor that supported EDID/DDC2, then unplugged just the VGA cable and walked it over to the non-plug and play projector to hook it up. I also borrowed an EDID emulator from a co-worker that man in the middles the VGA cable and sends a mock EDID signal, and then the Apple DisplayPort adapter would work with my Dell on a projector it would not work on before. Well, this EDID emulator is kind of pricey, and it along with a VGA cable takes up a lot of space in a laptop bag.

Solution: I ordered the StarTech model MDP2VGA Mini-DisplayPort toVGA adapter, so far no issues and it seems to work fine on a non plug and play projector where the Apple adapter failed. Hope this info helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest high quality adapter!, 12 Jan. 2011
Mr. Suresh Kumar (UK) - See all my reviews
It was delivered on time. I recieved the package and opened it. I attached my 22" Flatron W2243S LCD screen. It worked beautifully with my Dell XPS L501X laptop. I was about to the buy the Apple version adapter as this connection was originally used only by them but more and more laptops seem to have it.

I certainly recommend the build quality also. You won't regret this buy. Just make sure you are looking for a VGA to Mini DisplayPort.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works properly on a PC, 20 Feb. 2012
To add a 3rd monitor to my Windows PC I first purchased a NEET mini-displayport to VGA adapter. It was awful and every time the PC came out of standby the monitor would flash and jump about. The only solution was to unplug the adapter, wait and then re-attach. Sometimes I had to shutdown and re-awake.

I was sick of it so thought I'd try this Startech cable.

I can confirm this works perfectly on my PC (ATI 6800 Graphics card).
Really pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with Surface Pro, 26 Sept. 2013
In case you are like me - very happy about your Microsoft Surface Pro but a little disappointed by Microsoft's Apple-sque move to sell very expensive accessories - well, stop worrying you can buy this night little fella and use it plug an external VGA monitor into you Surface Pro. It works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works straight out of the bag, 17 April 2012
I took delivery of a Dell XPS 15 (L502x) last week to replace an old HP laptop. I lecture using a data projector a lot and so was surprised when I found there was no VGA out port. My computer services support people suggested I use a USB device to output the VGA signal, but searching further I realised the miniport output on the Dell might be useful. Looking through the available miniport to VGA devices on amazon I plumped for this one on the basis of its reviews. It is excellent. It arrived yesterday and I have tried it with two different data projectors. Both were recognised automatically when plugged in, and I didn't have to do anything to set up. Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. This is the real deal., 24 Nov. 2011
Unwrapped this, and plugged it into my Dell. Plugged my VGA screen in, and pop! There is my desktop duplicated on it. A couple of key presses and I have side by side screens. Just what I wanted. Easy, perfect, just what it claims to be.

If you have a Dell like me, or a normal laptop (i.e. not Apple) don't be tempted by the cheap apple compatible mini Display Port adapters that are out there. I was and it did not work. From searching forums, Apple have some different requirement or rather lack of it for a response through the adapter. My Dell needed that response to confirm that the screen was there, but did not get it so the cheap white box was just a useless box. Should have bought this one first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Apple version, 26 Feb. 2012
Sharkmad8 (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased the official Apple version of the mini displayport to VGA adaptor for my Macbook Pro but found that it did not work with my Toshiba TV/monitor when running Windows 7 through Boot Camp. I subsequently returned it for a refund. I have written this review using the StarTech version plugged into the monitor and have found that it works without a problem. I understand from the Apple discussion forums that it is something to do with an active connection rather than a passive one (whatever that means). So far happy with the purchase, bearing in mind that this review is based on first-time use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adapter, 28 Feb. 2012
I bought the Mac Book minidp to VGA adapter and it had lots of problems with my DELL XPS L502. It required restarting the computer to work and that too when the internal screen is set as main display. I came across this Startech adapter and it works like a charm. No Hassel, No restrats, No problem with 1080p resolution at both ends! More over the adapter is light n small and looks very solid build. Goes well with my XPS. The only con is that it is bit pricy.