on 24 March 2016
As a fan of the tv series, I expected much the same. The book far outweighs the series. Deeper characters and a different perspective. I couldn't put this down and found it gripping. Better than Patterson, Reich's and Cornwell. Can't wait to start the next one.
on 12 January 2012
I was introduced to Tess Gerritsen whilst under strict instructions from hospital to rest, a relative gave me a book and I read it cover to cover in 24 hours. I couldn't put it down. That was my first ever Thriller type book. so when I got my kindle for Christmas I promised myself I would read the Rizzoli and Isles books from the beginning. This book is fantastic :)
on 11 February 2013
This is the first book by Tess Gerritsen that I have read and I thought it was excellent. It got into the story very quickly and I couldn't wait to find time to continue reading it. I liked it so much that I am now going to buy another in the Rizzoli & Isles series.
on 27 January 2015
This is my first Tess Gerritson novel but it won't be my last. She creates complex, flawed characters and just managed to keep the love interest there for a reason. The twists in the story kept my interest. I would recommend this book to others.
on 8 March 2015
I'm new to this author and made sure I started with this first book of the series. I really enjoyed the style of writing and I was gradually drawn in to the story until I couldn't put it down. Definitely worth a read and I will now go on to read the next one.
on 14 November 2011
It did not take me long before i could not put this book down. Such an amazing story keeping you reading to find out who the surgeon is. The characters are all good.......i will be carrying on with more Tess Gerritsen
on 5 September 2006
Tess Gerritsen is fast becoming one of my favourite crime writers. Not only for her good character development, and not only for the depth of the storyline itself, but mainly due to the bone-chilling suspense she's able to conjure.

In 'The Surgeon' we follow Detectives Thomas Moore and Jane Rizzoli who are on the track of someone who is seemingly copying a previous murderer. The only woman who survived the previous killer is once again a target, but this time is being targeted by the copycat killer. And 'The Surgeon' is torturing and killing his victims exactly as is predecessor did. But what is the link between the two? And what has Dr. Catherine Cordell, the survivor from the first killer, have to do with it?

The story is fascinating, and the suspense is thick. The imagery that Gerritsen is able to muster up in her description of the crime scenes makes you feel as if you can see it yourself...which is chilling, disturbing and intriguing all at the same time. It certainly makes for a great read, so this book is highly recommended to all seeking a thrilling read. But beware...easy sleep after a night of reading this is not guaranteed!
on 29 May 2014
Terrifying in places! Cute as hell in others. Pretty well written, very good read. Didn't want to put it down.
Didn't like some of Jane Rizzoli's attitudes but I guess they'll develop more later.
For a badass detective, she's very "poor me, I'm not pretty" blah blah
This was my introduction to Tess Gerritsen and it has left a very positive impression, such that I have quickly ordered half-a-dozen more from her portfolio to add to the three I already own. As a background, I enjoy the works of Val Mcdermid, Karin Slaughter, Mark Billingham, PJ Tracy, Jeffrey Deaver, Simon Kernick and Jilliane Hoffman, all of whom have produced their own particular take on serial murder and who have at times also developed stories whose central theme is sexual assault, as is the case in The Surgeon.

There is never any doubt as to the authenticity and credibility of the events in and around the operating room, for this is a thriller with heavy emphasis on the anatomical aspects of assault and murder rather than a display of violence for its own sake. In this way the imagery created is altogether more convincing because the impression is always that the author is completely confident in describing the medical, physical and forensic details of events leading up to, and all police investigations after, a horrific sexually oriented murder.

In this, the first of what has become a series involving Boston-based homicide detective Jane Rizzoli and her partner in crime Detective Thomas Moore, three women have been assaulted (two fatally) and in a particularly gruesome fashion. It emerges that the very attractive surgeon Catherine Cordell is being hunted down by the killer, for she was once assaulted by a friend of his two years earlier when she lived further south in Savannah, Georgia. It seems that the killer has followed her to Boston and has a uniquely intimate understanding and knowledge of her body and movements, even though she has no recollection of ever having met him. Love blooms between Catherine and Moore, much to the disgust and possible jealousy of the less than stunning Rizzoli. Suspects in the form of red herrings are dangled here and there, and in fairness this is a thriller that could be said to thrill right to the very end - it could not be accused of being clichéd or formulaic, and the conclusion was, for a pleasant change, constructed and executed with skill and finesse. This is a story which cried out for a good ending and did not disappoint in this regard.

Welcome to the serial killer club, Tess - I hope the follow-ups to this introduction to the series are at least as good as this one. Definitely recommended.
22 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2003
This book was absolutely brilliant - I am a fan of Patricia Cornwall , but she has not had anything out lately and I was missing that type of novel. Tried some other authors, but came across nothing sensational, then picked up The Surgeon - could not put it down and the last few chapters I actually had to stay up half the night until early hours of the morning to finish it, I honestly could not put it down even though my eyes were begging me to sleep.........
Now, I have to start The Apprentice......