5.0 out of 5 stars Darn good read
Published on 9 May 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite without fail
Jack Reacher returns, but not ina guise that we have become used to. The book seems to take an age to get going (but it does). Reachers task of helping his dead brothers ex girl protect the new Vice President is a little thin as plots go. Child seems to be reaching (excuse the pun) for a link between old and new books.
Reachers latest incarnation seems almost frail...
Published on 1 July 2003 by foxyphil

5.0 out of 5 stars Darn good read, 9 May 2005
By A Customer
I have to disagree with previous reviewers - this is one of my favourite Reacher novels. I, too, enjoy those moments when some thug goes after our hero and Reacher smacks him down without breaking a sweat. But what I really enjoyed about this adventure was the twists and turns in the plot - the drip drip of clues and the puzzling them out angle. I also found the personal elements of Reacher's complex and rather unhealthy relationship with his brother's ex-girlfriend very poignant and absorbing.
A plus for me, too, was that the reason for the vendetta against the VP wasn't the usual political theme of most other novels of this type. I found that very refreshing. Neither did I find it unbelievable as another reviewer suggests. People can be petty and revenge is a powerful motivator - especially when coupled with personal humilation. I had no trouble believing that someone would bear a grudge under the circumstances outlined.
All in all, this adventure didn't let me down or disappoint. I haven't read a Reacher novel yet that didn't entertain, delight and fascinate me from page one to page end and this one was no exception. I like that sometimes Reacher uses brawn in a novel and sometimes his heart and head. This novel was in the latter mold - but there are plenty of Reacher adventures that encompass the former elements, too.
All things for all readers. What more can you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher - One Man Army, 16 Aug 2006
G. M. Buchanan "Page marker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Lee Child never fails to thrill with his Jack Reacher novels and this one is no exception. Reacher - every womans dream man every mans boyhood hero. Once again Reacher takes on the bad guys. This time they are trying to kill the Vice President of the US of A. Reacher, an ex military policeman, travels through America with no ID, no job and no address. Not a wise thing to do in this day and age. He lives off his army pension and gets involved in more fights than Batman and Superman ever had to deal with. Once again Lee Child has put our hero into the middle of another, must read, adventure. I don't know where Lee Child gets his ideas from but, being selfish,I hope he continues to get them for a long time to come. Great read, as always,hard to put down even to sleep or eat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite without fail, 1 July 2003
Reachers latest incarnation seems almost frail by comparison to earlier adventures. His new partner in crime (an ex army buddy)takes away Reachers seeming invulnerability and capacity to see through every angle.
Read it. Its a fine book. But it leaves the reader wondering where all the normal pzzazz from earlier books went.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind Batman returns - Reacher is back, 22 Aug 2006
G. M. Buchanan "Page marker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I must admit I'm a fan of Lee Child and Jack Reacher. I have one question about this story ie how does someone who is unemployed,no home address and no ID get a job protecting the Vice President of America. UK job centres please take note. Someone is out to kill the vice president and Reacher is approached by (of course)a female to help her protect the vice president. Who are the bad guys ? Are they all outside the Whitehouse ? Well are they? Once again Lee Child has produced another non stop page turner. Be prepared to go out of circulation,for a time, when you start this book.It is difficult not to give a Jack Reacher (Lee Child) novel five stars. This one is no different from the others. Great story - buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 26 Nov 2007
Like all Child's books, its a gripping read and would highly recommend it to anyone. Reacher is a legend and you can;t help but want to be him!
Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee Child does it again!, 30 April 2002
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The latest book about Jack Reacher is just as good as every single one of Lee Child's previous books. I feel that Jack Reacher as a character has now grown up and uses his brain a bit more than turning to the vigilante justice that we've been used to previously. The plot is an interesting one and I'm particularly impressed by the fact that Child refrains from using the President as his target, a choice that would have been much more obvious. He also shows us that he's less sentimental when it comes to killing off certain characters than most other authors, which adds to the entertainment value of the story. This is certainly another page turner from Lee Child and I highly recommend it. It would be advisable to read Killing Floor first though as this book, although it works well on its own, does refer to certain elements of that story and not reading it first would ruin that book for you later.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack and Lee stumble (It had too happen sometime), 10 April 2003
Rosslock "rosslock" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It had too happen. It could not last. Having written excellent and very high quality action thrillers featuring the supremely self-confident and capable Jack Reacher, Mr Lee Child fails to deliver in 'Without Fail'. Oh, don't get me wrong, it is still an enjoyable read, but slower than previous novels and somehow slightly less captivating. Maybe because the theme, protecting a politician, in this case the up-and-coming future Vice-President is something that has been done many times before.
But I think the biggest problem is that Jack Reacher seems out of his depth. Yes, Jack Reacher falters and stumbles and makes a mistake in this book. And that I think is the books main problem. Jack is not supposed to be fallable. He is not supposed to get it wrong. Jack is invincible! Or at least that was the way he was in previous books. Also, the bad guys in this novel are, in my humble opinion, not very strongly written. Surely these are characters that Jack Reacher would have for breakfast.And their motivation for trying to assasinate the VP is very weak to say the least.
All in all, not the best Reacher/Lee (or is that Lee/Reacher) novel. But read it anyway, it is still good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his previous books, 4 April 2002
By A Customer
This latest Jack Reacher story is a bit of a departure for the author, and not a successful one. Reacher is embroiled in a 'save the Vice President' operation, and instead of doing what he does best - which is playing Clint Eastwood and the Man with No Name in small towns across America - he becomes a type of FBI/Special Agent.
This is a story I've read many times in other formats by other authors, and it's a shame that Child decided to set his plot in Washington this time around. The secondary character, who plays both the device to involve him, and a link to his past, is a rather unlikeable and thinly drawn fmale agent, and Reacher himself seems rather flat and uninteresting.
My advice to the author - go back to what you do best, and give us back the Reacher we all know and
love.

5.0 out of 5 stars REACHER REACHES HIGHER AND HIGHER!, 8 April 2002
By A Customer
I would have to say that without question this is the best Jack Reacher yet.
Lee Child has excelled himself in a plot that will have you ducking for cover and turning the pages @ the same time! The story is direct and in your face, and i don't want to give too much away. What's clever about it is that when a killer is out to gun down the Vice President, and Jack steps in to help out, the sniper's telescopic lens turns on our hero, who not only has to protect the VP but himself.
The tension starts on page one and mounts all the way to the most exciting climax to a book I've read since Dexter Dias's Power of Attorney and Michael Connelly's City of Bones (both highly recommended too).
If you think Jack Reacher's the man you'd want on your side in a fight, then buy this book and see him go to war!
Jack, you're still the man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Without Fail, 11 Jun 2003
I don't know about the rest of you, but the main reason I read Lee Child's novels is to see Reacher smack people around. But in this book he hardly smacks anybody. Reacher's getting old, and whilst it's nice to see him stretching the old grey matter every once in a while, I felt this was slightly disappointing after the excellent _Echo Burning_. It's as fast paced as ever, the action is slick and well written, but there's just something missing.

Without Fail: (Jack Reacher 6)
3.66