4.0 out of 5 stars a page turner
Having read all of McNab's works I was unsure about reading another SAS fiction novel, I have to say I like the adventures of Nick Stone and didn't honestly think I could get to grips with another SAS hero.
Published on 17 Jun 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but ultimately a bit disappointing
The good part about this book is the action - fast paced and exciting. The story is quite good, but it's too predictable. There are three obvious errors which rather detract from the enjoyment of the book. Half way through, I felt I couldn't wait to read another book by the author, but by the finish I wasn't quite so sure. Chris Ryan has some great stories to tell, and I...
Published 17 months ago by John Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars a page turner, 17 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Greed (Hardcover)
That said, once I started I couldn't put this book down, it was finnshed in just under 6 hours. The action fast paced and descriptive, the charactures well defined, Ryan has surpassed my expectations with his SAS based fiction, the detail with which he describes events, flash backs, methods of entery and operation are just breath taking at times.
The only critiscm I can make is that I couldn't help but feel I had read it all before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greed is brilliant, 7 Jun 2005
This review is from: Greed : (Paperback)
Excellent.The second book I have ever read because i do not read normally but i could not get enough of "Greed". Once I picked it up i couldn't bring myself to put it down. Its the only book i have ever read by Chris Ryan and after reading it i ordered another. I hope in some way i have influenced you to go out and buy it because it is really worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greed - an addictive read..., 5 Nov 2003
This review is from: Greed (Paperback)
Greed is the latest installment in a rapidly expanding collection of Ryan's 'post Geordie Sharp' novels. Like 'The Hit List' and 'The Watchman' this book is excellently written and presented, indicating the momentum that Ryan's writing style is gathering (something that many critics feel was a weakness in his earlier efforts). You will also notice that he is cramming more and more erotica into his literature - perhaps for his unlikely female audience??
I read this book in two big efforts, only being forced to put it down once due to lack of sleep! It is, frankly, highly addictive; you will be taken on an emotional roller coaster, as characters transgress the limits of morality and you will the book to end in a certain way. You will feel angry and vengeful as you read at a speed you didn't think possible.
The book exposes the ruthless nature of the British intelligence services and the shocking nature of the fanatical terrorists of al-Queda. Be prepared for an amazing twist in the last few chapters! Good work, Mr Ryan; keep them coming!

4.0 out of 5 stars 313 Testosterone Soaked Pages, 15 Oct 2003
This review is from: Greed (Hardcover)
A persistent cough causing a bout of insomnia lead me to pick up this book. I have never read anything from this genre before and to be honest, my only expectation was it would pass some time away. Five and a half hours later, I was impressed.
The characters although obvious (our hero is named after a pistol) were likeable. Even the assassin had a lighter side, when he wasn't brutally murdering families of course. The plot was simple enough and the twists didn't really take SAS training to figure out.
These could be seen as flaws, the ingredients for a disastrous novel but the way in which the author assembles all these elements makes this a real page-turner. I found myself willing our hero to succeed, to cheat death, get the cash and keep his girl and live happy ever after having loads of kiddies named after firearms, Beretta or Magnum maybe?
Yes it was clichéd and never likely to be short listed for the booker prize but that doesn't matter. A film with Leo De Caprio meeting a watery end after an unfortunate encounter with an iceberg may win many Oscars, but Bruce Willis taking on a building full of terrorists and rescuing the hostages in his bare feet is infinitely much more fun.
Same rules apply here.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the watchman if that was possible, 24 Mar 2008
J. Wright "ISH" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greed : (Paperback)
I have read a few SAS and SBS books in the past and like a lot of people i do get bored with the same thing all the while.So having a break from these and reading other types of book ........2 years later i find myself back.I started off reading Chris's The Watchman which i thought was an absolutely superb read (i had it sitting there for those 2 years).This really got my juices flowing so i decided to try another. I choose Greed and i am so so so pleased i did.For me the story gripped me from start to finish......and i do not write this lightly.I can honestly say i REALLY could not wait to read the next page after i put the book down.As i have put in my header for this review i honestly did not think that The Watchman would be beaten in my eyes.....but Greed just pips it to the post.Without ruining it for you, the murders of some of his friends etc are quite shocking. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy this book if you like a real good story....YOU WILL LOVE IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping, Fast-Paced Novel That Never Slows Down, 18 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Greed : (Paperback)
I first got this book a number of weeks ago on a friend's recommendation, and I wasn't sure if it was my thing as I had never read any of Chris Ryan's books before, but having completed 'Greed', I am certain I shall be seeking to read more of the genius' work.
The story seems to be very well researched and the fast-paced style of writing which makes it virtually impossible to put the book down resembles that of the author Dan Brown (another genius whose work is always worth reading).
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good tale with plenty of action, guns and gore. An excellent read!

5.0 out of 5 stars His best book by far. OUTSTANDING, 12 Jun 2003
A. Salter "Salty" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greed (Hardcover)
Well what can i say. After reading all of Chris Ryans books, all i can say is this is the best book he has produced so far be it fiction or non-fiction. With his last book, i felt that he started to lose that sharp edge in his work that made his books some of the best reads going, but with this book, by god he must of found the sharpener and had a field day with it. Its fast paced and in your face from front cover to the back. It has the military detail and SIS back stabing. love triangels, plus stacks of blood and guts in detail. Its just one man that wants out, of the country, poverty, elements of the criminal underworld, and of the military, to make a new life. but that is his life. Well he has pulled it off again, just go and by the book, it will blow you away. its unreal.

4.0 out of 5 stars a truly good holiday book!!!, 2 Aug 2004
This review is from: Greed : (Paperback)
Greed is a really great book IF you are looking for an easy, exciting read.
However if you are looking for a more intellectual, thought provoking thriller then this isnt the book for you. It's a straight forward action packed story which grabs you by the neck and doesnt let you go until youve finished.
The only fault would have to be the characters...I thought some of them were a bit weak and i wish chris ryan had spent a little more time over some of them and we had been allowed more time to get to know some of them before they ....died
All in all a fantastic read, superb stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars MI5 v Al Qaeda, 8 April 2014
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greed : (Paperback)
A brilliant story about a group assembled from three ex-SAS one ex-PRIA and one London gangster by MI5 to scupper Al Qaeda by stealing a cache of gold and diamonds while in transit in a boat in the Mediterranean. Their task was to steal the treasure to stop the funds reaching their coffers and keep the fenced funds as recompense for their efforts. It seems like nothing can go wrong but after the task is completed everything falls apart and the race is on to discover how they can salvage anything and save their lives - a page turned that you'll devour in one sitting

4.0 out of 5 stars Who's next?, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Greed (Kindle Edition)
A very good read, plenty of action, you know whats going to happen but not to who, good who done it!!! ;0)

Greed