on 20 July 2013
Quite a harrowing book to read,can't believe how children were treated by homes.These people were supposed to look after their charges.Amazing woman after everything she went through,she came out a strong person.
on 11 August 2008
Sue Martin's harrowing account of the physical and mental abuse and tortue at the hands of so-called carers has changed my perception of the charity under which she was placed. It is certainly one I'll never give to again. Not until they explain such treatment and what they intend to do to atone for their unspeakable inhuman behaviour towards children.
on 10 September 2007
as someone who can relate to the experiences detailed in this book,having also been in dr barnardos homes,i feel sue has captured the attitude of the staff to the children to a tee.my wife who is not an avid reader, found it hard to put the book down, and we would both recomend this as a very good read.
on 7 September 2007
From the moment I picked this book up I could not stop reading until I had finished it. The intellegence of such a young child and how you are taken through her childhood and into her teens. The sad and shocking treatment she received from such a young age made me cry and yet the really happy times that are shared made me so happy. I have been really touched by this book and highly recommend to everyone. If you think you had/have it hard, you must read this.
on 8 October 2007
This book :No Way Home ; by Sue Martin is one of the few that has really touched my heart. The remarkable way Sue dealt with the heartache, abuse, and mental abuse to survive after so many years and still be recilliant strong and perhaps most important of all SANE is unbelievable.

I would like readers to appreciate that Sue as a true friend and neighbour of mine, actully relived this all again while writing her novel. I think this perhaps was worse than the first time and she shed a great many tears and heartache while trying desperatley to put all these horrendous events to paper.

We shared many bottles of wine sometimes late into the nights for her to complete this book.

She only had the book published because we her friends and family insisted she must send it to a publisher.

The most courageous thing is that Sue is one of the kindest people you could ever wish to meet and nothing at all is any problem if she could help you in any way.

For Sue to have emerged from this horror and still have a great compassion for all human beings, regardless of their race, religion, etc. is the most heart warming end to this book.

I think many many times if it had been me, would I be so forgiving, somehow I don't think so.

Well done Sue and I look forward to your next book, to see how you fared after leaving and where your life progressed later.

Thanks once again for the boozy nights.

Much love.

Sandie Normington
on 4 November 2007
Excellent first biography from Sue Martin.

Told from a child's point of view which makes it even more heartbreaking.

This is a story of Sue's life living in care, her mother is actually alive but always makes excuses as to why Sue can't come and live with her.
Her tales of managing to survive at the Barnardo's Homes are tragic, your heart goes out to the writer and god knows where she found the inner strength to always try and see the good in people.

Sue Martin comes across as a very strong and determined lady and in her case she did not have a choice but to grin and bear the cards life had dealt her.

This book is a real page turner and when you reach the end chapter the reader is left wanting more. I look forward to her next biography as to what happened next.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on 10 October 2007
A very moving book which is hard to put down - Sue obviously is (and always was) a thoroughly decent person who narrates her story with honesty and good writing skills. However the story about her life in the Barnados Homes and beyond ends when she was approximately 18 and I would have loved to have heard how she fared in her adult life (bearing in mind that she must now be in her 60s). I hope she found happiness because she certainly deserved it after her traumatic life at the hands of some very evil people, most of all her mother, the revolting Boagey and some of the other staff at the Barnados Homes of that era - I urge you to read this book. Sue them Sue!
on 27 January 2015
brilliant read sad and intence after being in a mother and baby home myself in the 60tis i can understand what the girls went through and i thought i'd had it bad but nothing like them and at least i kept my son
on 14 January 2008
From the moment I started this book I couldn't put it down! I cried in many places but was also inspired by Sue's courage and fortitude. She is an inspiration to us all! This is without a doubt one of the best books of it's kind I have ever read and I have read a great many of them!
I would also like to point out that this review is not at all influenced or biased by the fact that I have known Sue and her family personally for many years. She is a wonderful person, full of warmth and generosity and a terrific friend, mother and grandmother. I am proud, not only to know her but also for her amazing courage in sharing her story with the world. Well done Sue!
on 5 February 2012
This is Sue Martin's debut novel, taking us on her journey through the Dr.Barnardo's Children's Home system between 1944 and 1957.

This was my second purchase on my Kindle over twelve months ago, and I couldn't put it down from the moment I started so it took me only a few days to finish. During that time I felt a plethora of emotions and I just thought OH NO how much more can one child take.

I, unfortunately had experience of the Children's Homes system myself in my youth (not Barnardo's) and felt every step of the way for Sue, although I don't think this was down to my own experience as much as Sue's immense strength of character in coping. Articulate and well written, it will shock everyone who reads it, me included, even though my own experience was not so dire.

I've just finished re-reading this book again, in readiness to read the sequel and it evoked just the same reaction leaving me completely humble once again. This lady shows such strength of character that left me feeling humbled. I hope the writing process has helped Sue along the way. I'd recommend this excellent, inspirational, riveting read to all.