4.0 out of 5 stars Can I see the whine list please
Published on 9 July 2009 by Charles Vasey

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes I'm complaining about this book
I'm of a cynical nature so I thought that I would benefit from reading this book. I was prepared to suspend my scepticism until the chapter 'Complaining and Health' in which Will Bowen writes:

Published 1 month ago by Cybermintz

4.0 out of 5 stars Can I see the whine list please, 9 July 2009
Charles Vasey (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a rather interesting idea expanded into a book; namely, that complaining tends to make us more unhappy and serves no useful purpose and accordingly that we should be happier if we complained less. This central argument then gets mixed up with the Law of Attraction (yes, that old chesnut) and a healthy dollop of re-heated Dale Carnegie. At one stage Bowen tells us that if we predict bad things the Universe will hear us and send them, this is (I think) piffle; the Universe not being into hearing anything. But let's put that aside for a moment, what Bowen has grasped is something that I first learned in the crass school of negotiation from (I think) Gavin Kennedy, namely do not just complain, state an outcome you want. This way the recipient of your wrath at least knows what will calm you. This is what Bowen encompasses in his principle that when we complain we speak about what we don't want, not what we want. So, while doubting some of the persiflage I think there are some solid features to this book; in short, I have no complaints....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wean the whine and win, 28 July 2012
I read this book in one swoop (in three hours). Beautifully written and flowing style. The storyline (why we should not complain) is pretty good. It suggested buying a rubber bracelet (you can see it on the cover on Amazon) and do a 21 day challenge of not complaining, with other people in your work/church/social doing the same. Personally, I would rather use a more discreet way of trying to wean the whine out of myself (a normal daily rubber band is most useful and more anonymous).

Yes, well worth buying. Some of the material to me does not seem terribly original (such as the concept that focusing on the negative gets you the negative) but yes, give it a try.

You might just be surprised (and embarrassed) by the number of times you actually do complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, easy to read book about how to transform our life by eradicating complaints, 20 Jan. 2014
Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent book. It tells us that if we stop our constant complaining, which practically all of us are guilty of, our lives will improve dramatically.

We work on eradicating our complaining by obtaining purple bracelets from [...] and putting one on one of our wrists. Each time we catch ourselves complaining, criticising or gossiping, we move the bracelet to the other wrist. The aim is to go 21 days without a single complaint. Nearly all of us take many months to achieve our goal, and generally wear out several purple bracelets in the process, what with all the switching back and forth from one wrist to the other.

We are informed in the book that the bracelets are free, but in fact they now cost 10 dollars for 10 bracelets. (That was not a complaint - I find this very reasonable.) Will Bowen's web site now ships millions of bracelets all over the world. Will has started a challenge that is part of our global spiritual development in these amazing times, and his idea is rapidly transforming world consciousness.

Will is extremely honest in revealing his former shortcomings, namely his tendency to complain, criticize and gossip, which he first discovers when he accepts his own challenge. Apparently, we always notice our friends' complaints but not our own - not until we begin to move our bracelet with each complaint.

This is a wonderful, absolutely inspiring, easy-to-read, edifying and entertaining book.

We are shown that as we try to curb our negative utterances, this eventually has the effect that our mind simply stops thinking these complaining, critical thoughts, and thus we automatically become a much more positive person. When this happens, we become happier and our lives start to improve - good things start to happen!

The book is filled with captivating anecdotes about people's experiences and insights on their journey towards a complaint-free life, including Will's own stories.

Please note that you are permitted to share your feelings about something that has happened, though negative, just not "rehash" the events of what has happened. Also if we need to get something fixed by some authority, for example, we are allowed to state our grievances so that they can be remedied.

Will tells us that when we complain, we are saying "Something is wrong". Our bodies respond to our complaints with stress. Also, what we focus on persists. So when we complain we ensure that the things about which we are complaining keep on occurring.

The book ends with accounts by various persons who have successfully completed the 21-day challenge. They recount how wonderfully their lives have been transformed.

When we have completed the 21 days successfully, we can write to Will's web site and request that he send us a Certificate of Happiness.

I found this little book to be wonderfully encouraging. I have ordered my bracelets and am awaiting their arrival. I have begun to notice how much I complain and criticize and hope to annihilate this complaining and criticism, though it may be a little difficult for a reviewer!

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes I'm complaining about this book, 9 Feb. 2015

"But I really am sick," you say. Please understand that I don't doubt you believe you are. But remember that doctors estimate that 67 percent of illnesses are as a result of thinking sickness.

Now excuse me Mr Bowen. You don't know me. I have a back problem. My GP says I have age related degenerative disc disease, as does a Consultant Rhumatologist, a Radiologist, an MRI and my Osteopath. It's not that I believe I'm sick, belief does not come into it, it's a fact and I, like millions of others get on with it and work around the problem.

Secondly, the assertion that doctors estimating that 67% of illness is due to 'thinking sickness' - well, where is the reference for this? The previous page talks about two thirds of illnesses originating in the mind and says the reference is on page 186 (ibid 186) but there are only 176 pages in the book

So if this book is meant to help me stop complaining, it has failed spectacularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book so much I bought another copy to ..., 22 Oct. 2014
I liked this book so much I bought another copy to give to a friend. This is a great idea which I think would make us all a lot happier if we broke the habit of complaining. I am about to embark on the challenge! :))

4.0 out of 5 stars Wake-up Call, 22 May 2013
Even those who think they are positive people have alot to learn from this book and from trying to spend 21 consecutive days witout negativity. A 'change the world' book for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Complaint Free World: The 21-day challenge that will change your life (Kindle Edition)
I love this book as it is full of entertaining narrative as well as practical advise. I think we should all teach our kids the principles behind this technique.

4.0 out of 5 stars bliss!, 12 Feb. 2012
Good tool for reducing habitual moaning which in turn leads to a more pleasant life.

Doesn't mean that you suspend your critical thinking, just that you apply it to subjects worthy of your analysis rather than to other people's perceived short-comings.

Seems to have reduced my spouse's habitual moaning too (a little), and he hasn't even read the cover of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 7 July 2013
G. Kindlen - See all my reviews
I recommed this book everyone should read it and practice what it says and the world might be a better place to live in.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it., 19 April 2013
I Feel happier already. I am going to 're read it and enjoy what happens. Very helpful quotes. The start of good things.